Shoulder Protection- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Shoulder Protection

I've manage to separate both my shoulders over the last 4 years, both at whistler ("wow, you were in here three years ago to the day for the exact same thing!", said the clinic receptionist...) and am wondering if there is any "better" options to protect my shoulders. I currently wear wear Rock Garden body armor and an Omega X1 neck brace. Is there better body armor out there specifically for shoulder protection? Keeping in mind I won't ride without the next brace, I'm looking for something the provides better shoulder protection but still allows the use of my neck brace. Or at least a neck brace. Thanks

PV

Professional Troll
    I don't think shoulder pads are going to help with shoulder separation. Any kind of "regular" body armor is mostly just for mild impact protection, cuts, bruises, that sort of thing. Dislocations and separations are a whole other animal. Maybe look into some kind of braces? Taping? What kind of crashes were they?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yeah, I was pretty much thinking the same thing. Hadn't considered bracing, might be worth looking into. The first crash in 2010 was from over shooting one of the decent sized tables on the bottom of freight train along with lading nose heavy. The crash last year was entering a corning wrong, at too high of a speed on blue velvet. Rookie move. Any suggestions to the benefits of shoulder braces?

Professional Troll
    Honestly, I doubt there's much you can wear that will make a difference. The AC joint isn't like your shoulder, which is like a ball and socket. Your shoulder you can, in principle (although not very well in practice when it comes to DH), attach things to it that will limit the motion. An AC joint doesn't seem to really 'move' that much compared to your shoulder. Separations are just caused by blunt force, whereas dislocations are generally caused by your arm acting as a lever prying the ball out of the joint. Maybe shoulder pads on body armor will reduce the force a little bit if you're lucky. But if you're already wearing armor....

As with all orthadepic injuries, you have to build up the muscle surrounding it, otherwise tendons take all the force and end up stretching and tearing. Most downhiller riders I know do little to no strength training to prevent injuries. I never really fiddled around with braces after my dislocations. I think I wore something once, but wasn't convinced it would do anything. They're probably even more worthless for AC joints.

tl;dr, a good surgeon and strength training are the only real solution probably, as with almost all injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by ak pura vida View Post
    Yeah, I was pretty much thinking the same thing. Hadn't considered bracing, might be worth looking into. The first crash in 2010 was from over shooting one of the decent sized tables on the bottom of freight train along with lading nose heavy. The crash last year was entering a corning wrong, at too high of a speed on blue velvet. Rookie move. Any suggestions to the benefits of shoulder braces?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Sounds about what I was thinking, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask. I actually work out and strength train a lot for the specific purpose to be able to ride longer and harder. This includes DH in the summer and snowmobiles in the winter. Love it or hate it, I started doing crossfit a couple years back and it has been great for my overall conditioning and strength. Plus I enjoy doing it, since unfortunately it isn't practical to actually ride everyday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    EVS do some fantastic braces.

Go a size up than you would normally wear in jerseys. It's neoprene with very strong Velcro fastenings, it's like taping your shoulder up