should my downhill bike roll at the same speed as my AM?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

should my downhill bike roll at the same speed as my AM?

new to DH bikes, Ive only owned one, the one i got now.

bought a pretty good but very beaten up canfield which has seen a lot of miles and a lot of racing

bike works perfectly except i noticed one thing, it rolls downhill much much slower than my all mountain bike.

what could the reason be if this is not normal?

1) hubs are done
    2) disc brakes making some sort of contact?
    3) the heavy wheels are just much slower? (minion dh spec tires)

mtbr member
    Could be tire pressure is lower. Unless the terrain is pretty steep I have to work to maintain or gain speed on my FR bike.

Jan 2012
    What kind of gears are you running?
    Leftys creep me out

mtbr member
    May 2011
    both bikes are running at 27 psi front and rear (tubeless)

my AM bike still has some pretty big rubber on it, butcher 2.5 front and butcher 2.3 rear
    the AM bike is 2010 GT FORCE CARBON EXPERT which has had some things changed, but still uses the shimano XT stuff

the canfield rig, I have no idea what the hell is on it other than the frame, forks, shocks, and brakes and tires.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    it could be - but suspension on the bikes isnt crazy different

both use coil rears and air front, just the DH bike has more travel

also cruising down a super smooth fire road where there is basically no bouncing I noticed a large speed difference.

mtbr member
    did you check the brakes from touching the rotors?

my "smaller" bike always rolls faster than my DH bike on regular slopes, but when headed downhill, theres no comparison between the two

the DH bike kills it
    17' Canfield Jedi 27.5" - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The suspension could be soaking up some of the speed

mtbr member
    There are many factors as mentioned above that go into just how easily a bike will roll/coast. Frankly I would be more surprised if both your AM and DH rig rolled at the same rate.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

sandbagger
    how are you testing this, and what are you rolling down ? a street ? a dirt run ?

Mine rolls slow to because it has mud bogs on it(kenda neval 2.7), my urban rolls fast beacuse it has small tires and micro nobbys.

But if you get on a dh run the big bikes going to pickup speed and be able to handle the turbulence where your other bike will buck you off probably and jump all around.

im talking about a street roll. i would have no way to test otherwise but my fat bike will creep up on many other bikes while riding dh and im talking no pedaling just coasting catching speed
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

mtbr member
    May 2011
    noticed it because i have a friend who bikes a lot with me so we use both my bikes as his bike is crap

so often we will switch around my 2 bikes during the same day running the same trails a few times

on trails which are not steep and you dont need a downhill bike for, I start noticing how friggn hard i had to pedal to keep up with the GT, and he was just coasting along

switch bikes and the same thing happened to him

then we started riding down the trails without touching brakes or pedals to see the difference in speed and its pretty noticeable.

the GT bike has pretty substantial tires (as mentioned above).

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I'm pretty sure I was watching a clip from Sea Otter practice and two guys were coming down the hill. One guy was just coasting along, and the other guy was having to pedal a lot sooner. Maybe he just carried better speed, but in that case you have two DH oriented bikes and one is seemingly a slower roller.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

sandbagger
    what bike do you have a canfield formula 1 or the newer jedi ?
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    canfield balance older one is what i have now

I have decided to upgrade my downhill bike using piece of the old one, and give whatever is left to my friend to build his own downhill bike

anyone with any spare time, what do you reckon is worth saving off my old bike and what should be replaced?

I have the new frame and rear shock already, but what is worth salvaging off my old bike?

im guessing perhaps

1) the front forks 888
    2) the saint cranks? and pedals....
    3) the tires and wheels?
    4) the louise brakes perhaps?
    5) handlebars
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails should my downhill bike roll at the same speed as my AM?-img_20120504_120407.jpg  

should my downhill bike roll at the same speed as my AM?-img_20120504_120423.jpg  

should my downhill bike roll at the same speed as my AM?-img_20120504_120446.jpg  

should my downhill bike roll at the same speed as my AM?-img_20120504_120455.jpg  

should my downhill bike roll at the same speed as my AM?-img_20120504_120514.jpg  

should my downhill bike roll at the same speed as my AM?-img_20120504_120522.jpg  

should my downhill bike roll at the same speed as my AM?-img_20120504_120554.jpg  

should my downhill bike roll at the same speed as my AM?-img_20120504_120603.jpg  

should my downhill bike roll at the same speed as my AM?-img_20120504_120610.jpg  

should my downhill bike roll at the same speed as my AM?-img_20120504_120638.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i checked, the wheels do spin

makes one hell of clicking sound when spinning, but they do spin freely

not as well as my other AM bikes, but they certainly dont just stop spinning after 5 seconds....

sandbagger
    if you turn the bike upside down and spin the wheels do they keep going for a while ? if not maybe bearings etc need replaced or lubed and you can see how much drag your rotors have. if they keep going for like at least like 30seconds to a-min its just the bike.
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

sandbagger
    rear should click but if they both spin freely its prob fine. unless your body weight being added messes with bad bearings and is causing friction with the weight.
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    yah i think the bike has just seen a ton of use (as you can see by pics)

probably doesnt help either that im not the smallest of riders.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Holy cow, that is my old bike. Bought that new from the Canfield Bros. many years ago. Sold it to a buddy named Dustin about 4 years ago. Good to see it still going but that fork is, to be honest, rediculous on that bike. I had a 150mm 06 marz. 66 on it, as well as a fox van 160 and a lyrik uturn over the years I had it. With those forks at 150, it was about a 66 degress head angle. That 888 has to put it at ridiculous slack. Slack bikes do not roll along nearly as well unless you are doing super steeps.

I remember having that bike repainted (was originally grey) and being so excited to put those stickers on it and built it back up all new after putting a lot of miles and about 2 years on it. Front triangle is steel though and bearings are big 20mm affairs. Thing will last forever.

Thanks for posting, kinda made my day seeing the old girl again.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Lol and it's still going. Going to find its 4thh owner pretty soon.
    Bike does seem indestructible. It's been crashed at least 70 times in last 6 months and seems no worse

sandbagger
    thats always funny to see something you had passed on!
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Is it pointed the right direction? Dh bikes should point down hill, with the handlebar end facing down slope. If that doesn't work, try a steeper hill.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

Huckin' trails
    Try to pump up the tire pressure a bit more, a firmer rear shock setting with slower rebound and stiffer fork adjust.

Try more aerodynamic clothing. Your body create about 80% of the wind drag when you ride.

Faster rolling tires too ?

I know here we have a long gravel rail trail that what ever I do I just can't seem to accelerate anymore at some point, even if I keep on going downhill. If I pedal to get more speed, I'll just loose it back a bit... Like if I had so much wind resistance and tire rolling resistance I get up to premature terminal velocity. But on trails and dirt, I can't reach any terminal velocity unless I dedicate the rest of my life to an hospital room.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Pointed down a steep hill, the dh bike WILL probably overtake the AM bike due to it's larger mass but it might take a while. I think what you're considering is the bike acceleration of each bike. A dh bike will be squishier, your hard pedaling will have more power lost in suspension movement than your lightweight carbon AM bike will that is designed to accelerate quickly and be as efficient as possible with the suspension it has. Your AM bike is also lighter, probably a lot lighter and just that alone will allow you to pedal harder and faster out of corners after some hard braking.

Where a dh bike shines is in it's ability to hold its speed on a descent. If you learn to brake later and less, and to trust the bike more in the rough stuff you might find that it can be just as fast or faster than your AM bike... But then you'll be doing the same thing on your AM bike. I guess the big thing here is to ride your dh bike on trails that would necessitate a dh bike, IE- on trails that would make your AM bike scared.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

sandbagger
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness View Post
    Pointed down a steep hill, the dh bike WILL probably overtake the AM bike due to it's larger mass but it might take a while. I think what you're considering is the bike acceleration of each bike. A dh bike will be squishier, your hard pedaling will have more power lost in suspension movement than your lightweight carbon AM bike will that is designed to accelerate quickly and be as efficient as possible with the suspension it has. Your AM bike is also lighter, probably a lot lighter and just that alone will allow you to pedal harder and faster out of corners after some hard braking.

Where a dh bike shines is in it's ability to hold its speed on a descent. If you learn to brake later and less, and to trust the bike more in the rough stuff you might find that it can be just as fast or faster than your AM bike... But then you'll be doing the same thing on your AM bike. I guess the big thing here is to ride your dh bike on trails that would necessitate a dh bike, IE- on trails that would make your AM bike scared.
    well put
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    agree with a lot said.. my dh bike rolls slower until it gets going... when we ride WP I sometimes ride the AM bike because it is less work to get it up to speed...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterD View Post
    Is that a hole in the rear rim????
    yep!

and as an added bonus, look how the chain has now eaten more than halfway through the actual frame

all in one sly camera shot.....

Rookie
    Is that a hole in the rear rim????
    Ruder than you.
    Ska is not dead!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Only skimmed the responses, but has anyone mentioned tire compound? Sticky rubber rolls slower. Also tread pattern makes a huge difference.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaumaturge View Post
    Only skimmed the responses, but has anyone mentioned tire compound? Sticky rubber rolls slower. Also tread pattern makes a huge difference.
    What about trying to swap the tires between both bikes and see what happen ?

Oh, and OP, get that rim and frame fixed up so you will be able to come back from the ride to post the results
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Now with More Wood
    Not unusual that your AM bike would roll faster, I see that a lot when out riding with people on smaller bikes (talking about rolling along a fireroad or gentle singletrack). Also, the DHR tire in the rear is a pig when it comes to rolling speed.

Members who have read this thread: 1