Should I upgrade to a Pike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Should I upgrade to a Pike?

right now i have a k2 tirade 5, i like it except the fork is too plush and heavy with no adjustability, its a manitou sherman flick, I am thinking of getting the Pike race or team. I use my bike for pretty much everything, freeride, dirt jumping, and some XC, is it worth it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    replies?

Schmeow Productions
    it's prolly not worth it... use the fork u have until it starts to crunch lol. but seriously the flick isn't a bad thing, and isn't a plush fork good?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    no it bobs like hell when im pedaling

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard85
    no it bobs like hell when im pedaling
    hmm... i guess if u xc sometimes, it might be good to have lockout... u might also wanna look at fox vanillas

go big or go home
    go for it

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    hmm... i guess if u xc sometimes, it might be good to have lockout... u might also wanna look at fox vanillas

bad idea. I don't think anyone should be jumping of any kind on a sub 4.5 # fork. The vanilla is a great trail/XC fork but is no where close to being freeride freindly. The hollow crown doesn't seem to good for jumps.

What you're looking for is an All-Mountain style fork that has adjustable travel. Right now the RS PIKE is the only thing with infinitely adjustable travel, SPV type damping, HSCV type damping, 140mm travel, 20mm axel, steel steer tube, and under 5#. The cool thing is that you can get the "best" anti bob system on the market just by flicking a switch. You can also have close to the best plushness and high speed big hit ability by not turning the switch. It's just like having a Marz. HSCV z1 AND a sherman firefly SPV in the same fork and being able to switch between the two on the fly.

For someone wanting a do it all fork. I can't think of anything that even comes close to comparing with the PIKE. Remember it's not a Rockshox, it's a SRAM. BTW, get the SL or RACE models. The team saves a tiny bit of weight, but has an aluminum steer tube and hollow crown, which doesn't make it as sturdy for the occasional ride in the dirt jump park or light freeride.

Anyone who tells you not to get the PIKE has obviously never ridden one or knows nothing about it.

hands up who wants to die
    Does your fork bob when you're pedalling standing or sitting? Are you sure you have the fork set up correctly for your weight?

-rob

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BudhaGoodha
    It's just like having a Marz. HSCV z1 AND a sherman firefly SPV in the same fork and being able to switch between the two on the fly.
    You mean like a 2005 marzocchi! SWEET!

Oh wait, I have one of those.

You can't think of anything that comes close to the pike?

AM1

-Infinitely adjustable travel between 5-6" (130mm-150mm)
    -Coil sprung.
    -Air assist so you don't have to buy new springs.
    -TST compression damping, motocross bladder-style damper with 5 settings from full open, to all mountain, to locked-out. This affects low speed compression damping mostly. Kind of like having a "switch" to turn SPV on and off, except that it's better because it doesn't ignore low-speed inputs, it just damps them.
    -5.07lbs with full steerer, cut it a bit and it's well under 5lbs. To compare a Pike Team is 4.9lbs with 7" of steerer and no remote or poplock.
    -Indexed rebound adjuster.
    -ETA locks the fork down to the same level regardless of what travel setting you are using.

I don't know of anything that compares to the AM1. The AM1 has more travel and less weight than any 6" fork except for the Maveric DUC32. You get 10mm more travel than the Pike of course. Weigh is nearly the same but the AM1 is slightly lighter due to not having those "accessories" like the remote adjuster and such. The compression adjustment is super-effective and is easily acessable on the fly. ETA is also easily accessable on the fly, and nothing really compares to ETA IMO, other travel adjust systems work, but ETA is simple and doesn't rely on positive and negative air chambers which have proven faulty in other RS and Manitou forks. The action is as good or better than any previous marzocchi. Best of all, between 5 and 6" it totally changes the feel and traits of your bike. I can go from a generally "all mountian" type head angle with 5" of travel to having my bike feel like a DH fork is mounted on the front when I choose 6" of travel. It's a completely different feel but for those of you that have ridden a marzocchi Z150, well that's what it feels like is bolted to the front end when you go to 6". In other words, it's only an inch difference but it makes a big difference in handling and feel. Not that the 5" feels bad, that's where I keep it at for 90% of the riding I do.

The only possible negative thing you can say is the lack of the 20mm axle, but that can be easily negated by using a solid BMX style axle. Other than that "issue" which is somewhat of a non-issue with a solid axle and axle nuts, I can't think of one reason where the pike comes out ahead. It's not travel. It's not weight. It's not adjustments.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

user-created
    Let's not forget that the Flick is good stiff fork, even if the adjustments don't do anything.

If you think it "bobs" too much, put a bit heavier oil in it. That's alot cheaper than a new fork.

I'v got one on my Steelhead, which frequently gets locked up at the bar. I built it with inexpensive, reliable, quality parts that I wouldn't cry over if it got stolen. The Flick fits the bill. None of the adjustments (including travel adjuster) work, but it still rides great. Sounds silly, but its true.

There's definetly better forks out there, but if the money is a concern stick with what you've got.

Quote Originally Posted by Jm
    The only possible negative thing you can say is the lack of the 20mm axle, but that can be easily negated by using a solid BMX style axle.
    That's a good fix for a good fork, but for me it's gotta be 20mm. The BMX axle might deal with the disc loads better than a QR, but I don't see really it tying the front end together.
    Last edited by singletrack; 01-02-2005 at 04:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    You mean like a 2005 marzocchi! SWEET!

Oh wait, I have one of those.

You can't think of anything that comes close to the pike?

AM1

-Infinitely adjustable travel between 5-6" (130mm-150mm)
    -Coil sprung.
    -Air assist so you don't have to buy new springs.
    -TST compression damping, motocross bladder-style damper with 5 settings from full open, to all mountain, to locked-out. This affects low speed compression damping mostly. Kind of like having a "switch" to turn SPV on and off, except that it's better because it doesn't ignore low-speed inputs, it just damps them.
    -5.07lbs with full steerer, cut it a bit and it's well under 5lbs. To compare a Pike Team is 4.9lbs with 7" of steerer and no remote or poplock.
    -Indexed rebound adjuster.
    -ETA locks the fork down to the same level regardless of what travel setting you are using.

I don't know of anything that compares to the AM1. The AM1 has more travel and less weight than any 6" fork except for the Maveric DUC32. You get 10mm more travel than the Pike of course. Weigh is nearly the same but the AM1 is slightly lighter due to not having those "accessories" like the remote adjuster and such. The compression adjustment is super-effective and is easily acessable on the fly. ETA is also easily accessable on the fly, and nothing really compares to ETA IMO, other travel adjust systems work, but ETA is simple and doesn't rely on positive and negative air chambers which have proven faulty in other RS and Manitou forks. The action is as good or better than any previous marzocchi. Best of all, between 5 and 6" it totally changes the feel and traits of your bike. I can go from a generally "all mountian" type head angle with 5" of travel to having my bike feel like a DH fork is mounted on the front when I choose 6" of travel. It's a completely different feel but for those of you that have ridden a marzocchi Z150, well that's what it feels like is bolted to the front end when you go to 6". In other words, it's only an inch difference but it makes a big difference in handling and feel. Not that the 5" feels bad, that's where I keep it at for 90% of the riding I do.

The only possible negative thing you can say is the lack of the 20mm axle, but that can be easily negated by using a solid BMX style axle. Other than that "issue" which is somewhat of a non-issue with a solid axle and axle nuts, I can't think of one reason where the pike comes out ahead. It's not travel. It's not weight. It's not adjustments.
    I agree the AM-1 is a good fork. It does have it's drawbacks though.

1. Price = $750
    2. Travel adjust is at bottom of leg, ETA is quick but just preloads the springs and rides harsher at low settings.
    3. Lack of 20mm axel (big downfall of such a potential fork)
    4. ETA, is pain in the butt for oil changes (2004 + models)
    5. AIR. Air is good for adjustability and not requiring new spring and low weight. BUT air is the pits if you loose it 10 miles from the car.
    6. Tall axel to race length. (good or bad depending on what you like)

Good things about PIKE:

1. Wide range of travel (95-140). Adjustable from top of leg. Doesn't preload spring and rides smooth at low settings.( Although slower than ETA). Low setting (plus more floodgate) is ideal for dirt jumping.
    2. 20mm axel
    3. Gradient on stanchions for easy travel setting
    4. No AIR. Coil is better when set to your weight.
    5. More control over damping than AM1. PIKE can be tuned much more precise in compression and compression blowoff (floodgate).
    6. Acts smoother when locked out. Still takes hits smoothly, yet keeps stiff when pounding the pedals out of the saddle.
    7. steel steer tube. Although Marzocchi freeride aluminum tubes are thick.

The only thing going against the PIKE is that it has Rockshox's name on it. I bet if it had an M arch and everything else was the same and it had a Marzocchi name on it, people would be praising it up and down as the most versatile fork out there.

I guarantee the AM-1 will last longer than the PIKE. No questioning that.

When you really get down to it though (as much as I hate to say it) the PIKE is a more versatile fork. The AM-1 has the edge in durability and the fact that the TST settings are easy to switch on the fly. The way I look at it, I'll buy two PIKEs for the same os one AM, so it's at least worth a try. If you don't like it, at least you didn't blow $750.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    I agree the AM-1 is a good fork. It does have it's drawbacks though.

1. Price = $750
    2. Travel adjust is at bottom of leg, ETA is quick but just preloads the springs and rides harsher at low settings.
    3. Lack of 20mm axel (big downfall of such a potential fork)
    4. ETA, is pain in the butt for oil changes (2004 + models)
    5. AIR. Air is good for adjustability and not requiring new spring and low weight. BUT air is the pits if you loose it 10 miles from the car.
    6. Tall axel to race length. (good or bad depending on what you like)

Good things about PIKE:

1. Wide range of travel (95-140). Adjustable from top of leg. Doesn't preload spring and rides smooth at low settings.( Although slower than ETA). Low setting (plus more floodgate) is ideal for dirt jumping.
    2. 20mm axel
    3. Gradient on stanchions for easy travel setting
    4. No AIR. Coil is better when set to your weight.
    5. More control over damping than AM1. PIKE can be tuned much more precise in compression and compression blowoff (floodgate).
    6. Acts smoother when locked out. Still takes hits smoothly, yet keeps stiff when pounding the pedals out of the saddle.
    7. steel steer tube. Although Marzocchi freeride aluminum tubes are thick.

The only thing going against the PIKE is that it has Rockshox's name on it. I bet if it had an M arch and everything else was the same and it had a Marzocchi name on it, people would be praising it up and down as the most versatile fork out there.

I guarantee the AM-1 will last longer than the PIKE. No questioning that.

When you really get down to it though (as much as I hate to say it) the PIKE is a more versatile fork. The AM-1 has the edge in durability and the fact that the TST settings are easy to switch on the fly. The way I look at it, I'll buy two PIKEs for the same os one AM, so it's at least worth a try. If you don't like it, at least you didn't blow $750.
    You are misinformed, the AM1 has a coil spring, so you are not screwed if for some reason you blow a seal. It has coil in one leg, and air in the other. Novel eh? The AM1 is the same axle to crown as the new fox 36 in the max travel setting (both forks have am max of 150mm), but yes, this is a personal preference.

ETA locks the fork down, it's not a travel adjustment, it's a climbing aid, and i've never seen any other climbing aid that comes close to it, due to the way it works. I can lock my AM1 down to where it only shows 1.5" of stanchion, and that's a HUGE change and allows me to get up some super nasty grades, the fact that it still has 30mm of travel in that mode keeps it from stalling like the old ECC forks did.

I don't know how you know that the pike is smoother when locked out, I can increase the TST damping to "all mountain" with a lot of low speed compression, and the setting right before locked out makes the fork react very slow, but still maintains suspension. Untill you've tried these adjustments, I have a hard time believing you can say one is better than the other.

Well see how the Pike does, some of RS and Manitous biggest problems is that they design "one season forks", in other words after a season of hard use they tend to fall apart sometimes, so hopefully the quality and construction is there, but only time will really tell.
    Last edited by Jm.; 01-02-2005 at 09:07 PM.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    You are misinformed, the AM1 has a coil spring, so you are not screwed if for some reason you blow a seal. It has coil in one leg, and air in the other. Novel eh? The AM1 is the same axle to crown as the new fox 36 in the max travel setting (both forks have am max of 150mm), but yes, this is a personal preference.

ETA locks the fork down, it's not a travel adjustment, it's a climbing aid, and i've never seen any other climbing aid that comes close to it, due to the way it works. I can lock my AM1 down to where it only shows 1.5" of stanchion, and that's a HUGE change and allows me to get up some super nasty grades, the fact that it still has 30mm of travel in that mode keeps it from stalling like the old ECC forks did.

I don't know how you know that the pike is smoother when locked out, I can increase the TST damping to "all mountain" with a lot of low speed compression, and the setting right before locked out makes the fork react very slow, but still maintains suspension. Untill you've tried these adjustments, I have a hard time believing you can say one is better than the other.

Well see how the Pike does, some of RS and Manitous biggest problems is that they design "one season forks", in other words after a season of hard use they tend to fall apart sometimes, so hopefully the quality and construction is there, but only time will really tell.
    I know it has a coil spring. I own several Marzocchi forks, one with ETA. The fact is that even with one side AIR you still loose a huge amount of suspension when you loose air. Don't even try to tell me that Marzocchi's don't loose air either. All it takes is for a small hole to form in the top cap rubber ring, easy to fix for a $0.25, but kills a good ride.

I never said the TST didn't perform great. I'm just pointing out that the system on the PIKE allows for more fine tuning of how it reacts in different compression settings. The PIKE allows you to have a super solid platform for pedaling when the compression lockout is set, but still goes smoothly through the travel when you hit something, just like SPV, with blow off adjustment. TST gives you several settings that have pre determined compression damping settings in regards to low and high speed hits. Motion control in the PIKE allows for the user to adjust BOTH low speed compression and high speed compression independant of eachother without fixed settings.

Both are great performance wise, but don't even try to tell me that TST has more adjustability. Just because it goes from full open to full closed doesn't mean it has full adjustability.

You're right, ETA is a good climbing aid, but even the 30mm of travel left over doesn't do anything, cause it's so dang stiff. It would be nice if the PIKE had a quick lockdown device, but then travel adjust would have to be moved. Hard choice, but for my style of riding where I go uphill for 6-12 miles straight, I don't need to lower the front end ina hurry. The PIKE's U-turn travel adjust is a way better at 95mm than an ETA fork at same setting. ETA is only good for getting the front end rediculously low in a hurry for short hard out of sadle climbs. Other than that, it's horrible for long bumpy uphill climbs. It only takes a couple seconds to wind the PIKE down 45mm of still plush travel, so for long climbs it's better, but for short sprints it's more of a pain.

Jm.
    mtbr member

You're right, ETA is a good climbing aid, but even the 30mm of travel left over doesn't do anything, cause it's so dang stiff.

Um, no. ETA is not super stiff. Where are you getting these ideas?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    how do I go about putting thicker oil in it?

Former Noob Herder
    Um, no. ETA is not super stiff. Where are you getting these ideas?
    probably when its being used when its not supposed to be, like when the grade levels out and the front end isnt weighted. Would be neat if the ETA adjusted itself automatically to pre-selected grades or weight distribution....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    probably when its being used when its not supposed to be, like when the grade levels out and the front end isnt weighted. Would be neat if the ETA adjusted itself automatically to pre-selected grades or weight distribution....
    It's really not necessary though. With ETA on I can get on the fork and feel that 30mm of travel no problem, it works and does what it is supposed to do. It's definitely not "too stiff". I'm not sure where that one is comming from .

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Caveat: I've no experience with the Marzocchi 05 offerings.

That said, I much prefer the 05 Pike Team I have now, to the 04 Z-1 FR it replaced.
    For the riding I do, the taller forks from Marzocchi were not even a consideration for me.
    Too tall for my needs, and much more money than I wanted to spend. In the Pike price range, I don't think there is anything else that comes close. I'm also normally *very* reluctant to purchase first year product runs.

Stiffness. Likely a result of the Pike being 20mm axle equipped, while my Z-1 was the QR version. If it's other than that, I don't know, and don't really care. Granted, I'm using a Hope 20mm hub now, vs. the spindly American Classic with the Z-1; I'm sure that may contribute.

Travel Adjustment. I have only used that feature for one trail ride (for some climbs), and one day of urban playtime on the Pike. I much prefer it over ETA. The only time I used ETA was while climbing. The travel "leftover" on the Pike feels much better than the 30mm that was left with ETA. Can't define it better than that, unfortunately.

The damping on the Pike feels *much* better. It makes a much more noticable difference, on both ends of the dial than what the Z-1 did. I played with it a few times on the first trail ride with the Pike, and have left it alone since. I was continuously having to fiddle with the Z-1 damping to get it to feel good.

I've only used the Motion Control/Floodgate compression damping during an afternoon of urban play, but it worked for me exactly as advertised. I don't see using it a whole lot, but I liked having it when I wanted it. I went for the non-remote version, as I didn't want the extra stuff on my handlebar. The weight issue of that is a non-issue for me, and anyone else who gets the non-remote version.

Right out of the box, the Pike has been a better fork for me than the Z-1. I had to play around abit with the Z-1 to get it to feel as good as the Pike feels, right out of the box. Other than adjusting the rebound. I dropped not quite a half a pound off my bike, including the new wheel. Part of that, I'm sure is that the Pike takes a total of 150ml of oil vs. the Z-1 taking 310ml, at least at the reccomendation of both their respective manuals, for my weight. That is nearly 1/3# just in oil. The extra 10mm of travel is nice, but no big deal; I was quite happy with 130mm.

The only things that do concern me are, yes, long term durabilty and how much service am I going to have to do to the fork. My jury is still out, but I chose to give SRAM the benefit of the doubt.

Bottom line, the Z-1 is a fine fork. I just prefer the Pike. You prefer Marzocchi; fine. I don't understand why you have to bag on others fork choices so often. Sure, I understand you dislike RS, and somewhat why. I was burned by a 2002 Duke SL, but figured I'd give the "new" RS a try. If it blows up in a year, fine, I'll go back to Marzocchi. If it doesn't then SRAM may have a winner. I for one hope they do, and that they continue along these lines.

Whatever. Enough of my rambling.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I also have a pike race and it is one hell of a fork.The november 2004 edition of Mountain Bike Action shows one being dropped off of about a 15 ft drop right on the cover.
    I love the plush feal of the new pike. It is much stronger than my sherman firefly.

There are times when my sherman has flexed and thrown me offline, where the pike has not. You notice no movement up front. Other than the suspension working.
    The compression lockout works great and you still get full travel. One thing that the ETA dose'nt do.
    If you ride more xc at times you can run the fork between 95 - 130 mm and when the trail starts to go down, turn it up to 140mm. You can ride this fork locked out all the time, so when you stand up and hammer, it only moves like 30mm as said.
    But if you hit a bump harder than the floodgate threshhold is set to, it just blows thru the travel like it was never locked out.
    It has more options out there than any other fork .Forks with SPV can not be shut off as some dont like SPV. they can be turned down. Just not off!
    The pike allows you to turn the motion control off. So if you still like the springy feal it's still there.
    Also I dont know why more people havent raved about the maxel system.It is truely easier to get the wheel on and off, than any other 20mm front end in the buisness. no bolts, no spair parts to fiddle with. No tools either
    . Just turn the qr lever about four times and the wheel is off. It is even faster than takeing off a standard qr wheel. That in itself was a selling factor for me.
    I have to take my front wheel off to get it onto the car rack every time i ride. And every time i load it up to go home.
    Every fork out there should go to this type of axel. It is stiff as hell and user friendly at the same time
    . Their is not another fork in the $450.00 price range that even comes close to the feal of the 2005 pike. It even feals better than some of the forks in the $650 dollar price range.
    The motion control blows the SPV out of the water in my book. I will highly recomend this fork to anyone wanten a light freeride, backtrail and xc fork.
    With 95 - 140 mm travel it will do what ever you want it to. And remember even if the seals do blow out. There like 29 bucks to replace. But my seals are great so far.
    . I have had no problem with this fork as of yet.And changen oil and springs on this fork is also a breeze.I say get one!
    Sell the flick on e-bay and purchase a PIKE .
    Last edited by ctrailfreak; 01-03-2005 at 07:20 PM.

Um, wow. Punctuation, paragraphs, line separation. All would have made that actually bearable to read.
    I'm no English composition pro, but man, that was horrible.

You may want to brush up on some English skills before posting too much more......

Oh yeah, and even though I'm a fan of the Pike fork, I'd hesitate to call it stronger than any of the Sherman line. Granted, I've not ridden any of the Shermans.

Last bit; do you believe everything you see and read in MBA? I hope not.
    Last edited by scrublover; 01-03-2005 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Ahem. Oops.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrailfreak
    i also have a pike race and it is one hell of a frok.
    i've been looking for a nice frock....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    i've been looking for a nice frock....
    Jeez guys this is the internet. I hope you were being sarcastic, because we all know what he was typing.
    -------------------------------------------

I want to know how the heck anyone can say that ETA doesn't ride harsh? Just because it gives a little doesn't mean it can go up bumpy inclines without the front wheel bouncing off of everything in it's path. Like I said, ETA is great for getting the fork really low in a hurry. If you don't care about being able to switch it in a hurry, then it pretty much sucks balls at what it does (preload the fork). Winding the travel down is better with the TAS than ETA, but it only gives you 20mm of change and is at the bottom of the fork. TAS doesn't preload the spring like ETA. PIKE's Uturn is the same as TAS in that it doesn't effect preload of the spring and rides like a normal 95 mm fork when wound down, not like a 95mm fork with a 1000# spring in it (ala ETA).

The thing I've noticed about ETA is that you can't get it very plush in it's 30mm of travel even if you try letting air out of the fork. If you let air out, all it does is allow ETA to drop farther down and preload to the same stiffness but lower.

The cool thing about Uturn is that you get 95mm of smooth travel when wound down AND you can still lockout the compression if you want if to firm up.

Quickness ETA > Uturn
    Everything else Uturn > ETA

Quickness TST > Motion control
    Adjstability Motion control > TST

If I hated stopping for several second durring a run to set my fork up right, I would go with the TST and ETA, they flow better an don't require getting off bike, or even stopping.

If I didn't mind taking time to get a setting that's absolutely what I want, I would go with Uturn and Motion control.

Like I said before. The people who say the PIKE sucks have absolutely no clue as to how it works or have never ridden one. Those same people don't understand the significance of being able to tune BOTH high speed compression and low speed compression independant of eachother. IMO, all high end damping systems should allow for those adjustments.

ONE MORE THING.

Those of you with a PIKE(y). The floodgate is more than a blowoff threshold for the compression lockout. It's really just a high speed compression valve that stays closed until the damping fluid moves too fast for the low speed valves. That's all it does. Pretty much exactly like HSCV valve, but adjustable.

Use the floodgate to control how the fork performs on drops. I've heard too many people say they bottomed out on the fork and turned up the compression knob to help. This doesn't do any good as the floodgate will negate the compression and alllow fluid to pass through at a high rate. Try keeping the compression open and closing the floodgate more for preventing bottoming in large hits. The fork will still perform nicely on small bumps, but then ramp up nicely for hard hits. It's in a way better than HSCV in this regard. HSCV pretty much has a preset Floodgate valve at the bottom of the cartridge that's set to flow a lot of oil on hard hits, there's no way to adjust that characteristic. HSCV relies on the air and oil levels to keep the fork from hitting bottom on hard hits, but can still blow through it's travel really fast. Motion control allows for being able to adjust how much travel the fork blows through, without relying on a ramp up at the end to keep from bottoming.
    Last edited by BudhaGoodha; 01-03-2005 at 11:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I see my message was erased in response to (ScrubLover). I hope he feels better about himself.
    Being the jerk that he is.
    At any rate to defend my self, all i can say is that I dont type very well. and this is no exam paper I am filling out.
    I just wanted to get my point across. fact of the matter is if you have something smart to say,some times it is best kept to you're self
    And by the way, about the MBA comment.

I was just talking about the picture on the cover. Not about any article inside.
    Also you must have the PIKE with the hollow crown and alloy steer.
    Mine is the race model with the cromo steer and the solid crown.
    And yes it is stiffer than the SHERMANS!

I think I would know, as you said, "you have no experiance with the SHERMANS!"
    Well I do. And I can tell you that it is much stiffer for sure.

Mabie if you think you are smarter than I am,you should pm me and give me some tips. Other wise,
    Stop wasten space in this forum and let people answer this guy's question.
    Last edited by ctrailfreak; 01-03-2005 at 07:36 PM.

i see my message was erased in response to (scrublover). i hope he feels better about himself.
    being the jerk that he is.
    at any rate to defend my self all i can say is that i dont type very well. and this is no exam paper i am filling out.
    i just wanted to get my point across........
    wow. whine, much? dude, chill out.

i feel pretty good about myself; how about you? me, a jerk? why thank you!

if you want to get your point across, how about doing it in such a way that it's somewhat coherent? not intending to be mean, i'm just saying.......

as for answering the guys question, i think i tried to help do that about 8 hours before you did. no go unwad your panties.

Former Noob Herder
    at any rate to defend my self all i can say is that i dont type very well. and this is no exam paper i am filling out.
    i just wanted to get my point across.
    proof read. Simple as that. No one's going to get or accept your point if:

1. they can't understand what you a writing
    2. can't bare to read any further
    3. think its a 4th grader making the comments.

if you never take the time to make sure you a writing/typing correctly, well when are you going to take the time? when you don't get that job because you appear as only semi-litterate?

everyday is a test my friend...

btw...i proof-read this and luckily i caught some missed negatives....otherwise my 'point' would of been completly screwed up...some spelling mistakes are ok but at least go for a B-minus

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    if you never take the time to make sure you a writing/typing correctly, Now is this kinda like the pot callen the kettle black, or what?
    My point is that every one makes mistakes. Even the MODERATOR.
    So get off my back. This is pointless and childish! All I was saying is the PIKE is a nice fork.
    so get one.
    Last edited by ctrailfreak; 01-03-2005 at 07:42 PM.

Former Noob Herder
    if you never take the time to make sure you a writing/typing correctly, now is this kinda like the pot callen the kettle black or what.
    no not really, i generally put alot of care into my posts. Unless i'm drunk.

not quite sure what the hell you mean, but then again, i'm not certain you do either.

Xtremely Moderate
    Yeah. I'm too much of a tard to have ETA.
    I've had it on 2 forks and every time I've tried used it, I'd forget to take it off going back down.

Then I'm getting my fillings rattled loose thinking, "Hmmm why is my fork so harsh?......Doh!"

So I don't use it.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    ( if you never take the time to make sure you a writing/typing correctly)
    Last edited by ctrailfreak; 01-03-2005 at 06:52 PM.

Former Noob Herder
    ( if you never take the time to make sure you a writing/typing correctly,)
    what i was talking about is you guys preaching to me.
    when you made a mistake you're self.
    i think there is a (re) in are.
    that is you're phrase to start this message.
    like i said, a mistake here and there is fine because people can still read through it; sometimes your brain misreads stuff even in proofing...nobody's perfect. But when a post is so incoherent that people dedicate their posts to how bad it is.....

i mean even your post above doesn't have real sentences, like you're communicating with a tele-type or something...[break] [full stop]

Xtremely Moderate
    Zedro IS the law.

You will never be right.

You are a maggot and he is a GOD of the forum.
    He is your overlord. He is your GOD.

Your are a miserable, grammatically incorrect, and illiterate worm groveling beneath his feet.

Bow before him and embrace your insuperiority.

All hail Zedro!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by eo

Bow before him and embrace your insuperiority.
    i really wish insuperiority was a real word....

...yes i did check.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    So do my posts look better to you now?

Former Noob Herder
    So do my posts look better to you now?
    atta-boy, the balance in the universe has been restored...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Back to the topic. This is my PIKE on the 2004 stinky.

Xtremely Moderate
    i really wish insuperiority was a real word....

...yes i did check.
    Ah ha ha.

Its called poetic license.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    proof read. Simple as that. No one's going to get or accept your point if:

1. they can't understand what you a writing
    2. can't bare to read any further
    3. think its a 4th grader making the comments.

if you never take the time to make sure you a writing/typing correctly, well when are you going to take the time? when you don't get that job because you appear as only semi-litterate?

everyday is a test my friend...

btw...i proof-read this and luckily i caught some missed negatives....otherwise my 'point' would of been completly screwed up...some spelling mistakes are ok but at least go for a B-minus

Ok That's fine and all, but just one thing :

What about those billion of people that are actually not English speaking

Take me (for example) I'm French speaking. I'm not French, I'm Belgian but I bet A lot of you don't even know where it is and even If you do I bet you didn't know nearlly half the people over there speak French. ..... Sorry got lost .....

My point being : Maybe English isn't is first language ..... Or if it actually is.... **** man your grammar and spelling are real poor.
    Last edited by Mista D; 01-04-2005 at 06:16 AM. Reason: forgot a word

Xtremely Moderate
    We are Fffffrench! Why du yoo sink I av zis rrrrrrridiculous accent?

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mista D
    I'm Belgian but I bet A lot of you don't even know where it is and even If you do I bet you didn't know nearlly half the people over there speak French.....
    I had to go to Mapquest.com, but I found it!

Hey!.............
    Aren't you in one of those puny countries we liberated from the Nazis.

Sig Heil! my brotha.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

No good T'était là en 45*? Non, alors n'en parle pas

Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    I had to go to Mapquest.com, but I found it!

Hey!.............
    Aren't you in one of those puny countries we liberated from the Nazis.

Sig Heil! my brotha.

Just told you I wasn't French .... (You're not very smart are you)

Do I go calling you a Brit because you speak english ...

Belgium is the country were the capital of Europe is (Just in case you wanted to learn something) do you know what europe is ????

J'y était pas en 45 donc franchement ton argument à la con sur la libération ....

Xtremely Moderate
    Just told you I wasn't French .... (You're not very smart are you)

Do I go calling you a Brit because you speak english ...

Belgium is the country were the capital of Europe is (Just in case you wanted to learn something) do you know what europe is ????

J'y �tait pas en 45 donc franchement ton argument � la con sur la lib�ration ....
    Nope. Just another dumb, smart ass and ignorant American here. Thank you.

And, No I wasn't there in 1945........but your puny country was liberated in September of 1944 Einstein.........

If you haven't noticed this an English speaking/writing forum. And just like the multi-lingual [email protected] I have about my own country.................learn the language or die!

If I were to come to the "Capital of Europe" (I don't know why I would do that.....oh maybe for a Trappist ale....the only export your country has .....), I would make sure that I knew the language well enough to communicate.

I was only kidding around with you, but I see that you not only share a language with the French, you also share their sense of humor (or lack there of).

No hard feelings Frenchy................

/dev/null
    My point being : Maybe English isn't is first language ..... Or if it actually is.... **** man your grammar and spelling are real poor.
    The difference between someone who doesn't speak English as a first language, but puts effort into trying to make their posts coherent and ledgible, and someone who just doesn't care, is generally pretty obvious. I've seen many posts by people who have slightly awkward English word usage but have managed to make their posts perfectly clear and generally of much higher quality than many native English speakers.

Insert periods at the end of sentences, and commas where you pause. Use carriage returns at the end of paragraphs. Capitalize occasionally. It's all very easy if you just take the time to look at what you're typing.

Nobody is expected to be perfect, but this whole attitude that, "It's only the internet, who cares?" is lazy and stupid. Put some pride and care into things you do. How many times can you throw words together in a garbled piece of trash that some of you dimwits call a "post", before you start doing it every day? Is that how you type school papers? Is that what you'd put on your resume? Is it how you'd email your boss?

At the very least, consider your posting activities to be good practice in typing and writing: I simply don't believe that people who write like this just turn around and shoot off a perfectly worded & punctuated email to their boss.

Incidentally, this particular ignorant American has a couple friends from Belgium and they both speak French - not, of course, that I speak a word of it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by binary visions
    The difference between someone who doesn't speak English as a first language, but puts effort into trying to make their posts coherent and ledgible, and someone who just doesn't care, is generally pretty obvious. I've seen many posts by people who have slightly awkward English word usage but have managed to make their posts perfectly clear and generally of much higher quality than many native English speakers.

Insert periods at the end of sentences, and commas where you pause. Use carriage returns at the end of paragraphs. Capitalize occasionally. It's all very easy if you just take the time to look at what you're typing.

Nobody is expected to be perfect, but this whole attitude that, "It's only the internet, who cares?" is lazy and stupid. Put some pride and care into things you do. How many times can you throw words together in a garbled piece of trash that some of you dimwits call a "post", before you start doing it every day? Is that how you type school papers? Is that what you'd put on your resume? Is it how you'd email your boss?

At the very least, consider your posting activities to be good practice in typing and writing: I simply don't believe that people who write like this just turn around and shoot off a perfectly worded & punctuated email to their boss.

Incidentally, this particular ignorant American has a couple friends from Belgium and they both speak French - not, of course, that I speak a word of it!

I have to agree with you. The problem is even worse with the french language (in forums) the kids (and I'm not old : 24 years old) have this "SMS" language lol

I'ts really a probleme because nobody has good spelling anymore (counting me) and that's a shame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Wink

Nope. Just another dumb, smart ass and ignorant American here. Thank you.

And, No I wasn't there in 1945........but your puny country was liberated in September of 1944 Einstein.........

If you haven't noticed this an English speaking/writing forum. And just like the multi-lingual [email protected] I have about my own country.................learn the language or die!

If I were to come to the "Capital of Europe" (I don't know why I would do that.....oh maybe for a Trappist ale....the only export your country has .....), I would make sure that I knew the language well enough to communicate.

I was only kidding around with you, but I see that you not only share a language with the French, you also share their sense of humor (or lack there of).

No hard feelings Frenchy................

Whate ever makes you sleep at night ......

My feelings aren't hurt .... It actually makes me laught to watch this little USA V.S. France. Both countries are so "Patriotic" (wathever that really means).

As for the liberation. Gee thanks you educated me ....

Trapist Ale is not our only export..... We've got non Trapist Ale as well

Xtremely Moderate
    Whate ever makes you sleep at night ......

My feelings aren't hurt .... It actually makes me laught to watch this little USA V.S. France. Both countries are so "Patriotic" (wathever that really means).

As for the liberation. Gee thanks you educated me ....

Trapist Ale is not our only export..... We've got non Trapist Ale as well
    Not patriotic at all............... in fact I want to be Canadian.

As far as sleeping at night, a few these will take care of that.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Not patriotic at all............... in fact I want to be Canadian.

Me too actually (Belgium is flat, no snow, flat, rainy, flat, did I say flat?)

As far as sleeping at night, a few these will take care of that.....
    It sure will.

If ever you were to stop by in Belgium you may actually like it. That is if you like special beers (Chimay being pretty standard stuff here)

Xtremely Moderate
    If ever you were to stop by in Belgium you may actually like it. That is if you like special beers (Chimay being pretty standard stuff here)
    I'm sure I would like it, but you're just a little too close to Amsterdam....

....I might hurt myself.

locked - time out
    I have to agree with you. The problem is even worse with the french language (in forums) the kids (and I'm not old : 24 years old) have this "SMS" language lol

I'ts really a probleme because nobody has good spelling anymore (counting me) and that's a shame.
    Personally, I find it pretty scary that your posts are more coherent and grammatically correct than those of 50% of the English as a first language types on this site.

/dev/null
    You know, accidentally misspelled words are the least of the problem. Whether it's "ridiculous" or "rediculous" (that's one that I always screw up), at least the point should be conveyed in an intelligent manner. We have spell check to catch errors like that (not that everyone should forget how to spell, mind you) - the important part is that an effort is put into what you're writing.

I would never pick out someone whose posts are usually of high quality and criticize them due to a couple misspelled words. Heck, Zedro's capitalization habits leave a lot to be desired , but he can actually construct a sentence and knows how to punctuate (and, more importantly, he takes the time to do so), so who cares? A lowercase "i" here and there or a lowercase after a period hardly interfere with the readability of a good post.

Ahh well. Can't change the world, right? I do reserve the right to ***** about it, though

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

True

True
    It's actually a matter of recpect (or at least that's the way I see it)

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    my thread has been hijacked

/dev/null
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard85
    my thread has been hijacked
    Welcome to the intArweb. We hijack threads. You can either join us, or we can have you killed.

Have a pleasant day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    If I was a moderator I would delete all the non-related posts here. Take it to the grammar Nazzi forum you jerks.

Did Marzocchi send you guys into here or what? Break some grammatical kneecaps, like thugs?

I swear the majority of people on this forum are all 12 year old prepubescent choads (area between cock and ass) or at least act like it.

I could understand just fine what that guy was trying to say in his post. Some of you are just flaming opportunist dick heads with nothing to add for the thread.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by binary visions
    Heck, Zedro's capitalization habits leave a lot to be desired .....
    it's true....i really do need help....i can't help it (sob)

/dev/null
    ...you jerks...
    ...12 year old prepubescent choads (area between cock and ass) or at least act like it...
    ...flaming opportunist dick heads with nothing to add for the thread.
    Did anyone else catch the irony, and hypocritical nature of a flaming, name-calling post, criticizing others for flaming and being immature?

Xtremely Moderate
    If I was a moderator I would delete all the non-related posts here. Take it to the grammar Nazzi forum you jerks.

Did Marzocchi send you guys into here or what? Break some grammatical kneecaps, like thugs?

I swear the majority of people on this forum are all 12 year old prepubescent choads (area between cock and ass) or at least act like it.

I could understand just fine what that guy was trying to say in his post. Some of you are just flaming opportunist dick heads with nothing to add for the thread.
    1. You are not moderator so you won't delete anything.
    2. You are a retarded taint (area between [email protected] and ass), because you obliviously came in here looking for a fight with a reply like that.
    4. YOU are not adding anything to this thread with your flame bait, Mr. Hypocrite.
    5. Judging by the length of your posts in this thread, you are also a narcissist who loves to hear himself speak aloud whilst writing endless amount of long winded drivel to impress the e-people of this forum.
    6. You are in desparate need of a sense of humor.
    7. You're Marzochhi metaphor is not funny.

Go stand in a mirror and talk to yourself air bag.

This thread continues with a status of highjacked ................

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    1. You are not moderator so you won't delete anything.
    2. You are a retarded taint (area between [email protected] and ass), because you obliviously came in here looking for a fight with a reply like that.
    4. YOU are not adding anything to this thread with your flame bait, Mr. Hypocrite.
    5. Judging by the length of your posts in this thread, you are also a narcissist who loves to hear himself speak aloud whilst writing endless amount of long winded drivel to impress the e-people of this forum.
    6. You are in desparate need of a sense of humor.
    7. You're Marzochhi metaphor is not funny.

Go stand in a mirror and talk to yourself air bag.

This thread continues with a status of highjacked ................
    Like I said...

What's with you teenagers and your superiority complexes? Not a single one of you turds would have the nards to talk to people like this to their face.

You're obviously not even smart enough to realize I was poking fun at you guys, with my last post. Hmmm, seems pretty "ironic" doesn't it?

From what I've learned through life, it's usually little runt guys with inferiority issues that love the internet for bashing other's shortcomings. You never see people treat eachother like this in the real world where you can get beat up for insulting others.

Ohh well, I guess the point of this thread has been made:

The PIKE is one kick ass fork!

BTW, the US would've never gained independance from GB, if the french had never helped us out. So, the whole "we saved your french ass in ww2, so kiss ours" menatality is pretty darn ignorant. (yes, I know he's not from France, just my $.02)
    Last edited by BudhaGoodha; 01-04-2005 at 01:39 PM.

Xtremely Moderate
    Not a single one of you turds would have the nards to talk to people like this to their face.
    Don't count on it.

You're obviously not even smart enough to realize I was poking fun at you guys, with my last post. Hmmm, seems pretty "ironic" doesn't it?
    Hmmm...... ********s, jerks, choads, thugs........ Oh yeah, ha ha ha ha...that is funny!
    What's ironic is that you don't realize that attacking with insults that like WILL get your ass kicked in most circles......
    ....... and Hey! Another irony. Read your quote below and you'll realize that you've contridicted yourself with your insult flinging.

From what I've learned through life, it's usually little runt guys with inferiority issues that love the internet for bashing other's shortcomings. You never see people treat eachother like this in the real world where you can get beat up for insulting others.
    You haven't learned much at all.
    6'5" 225 lbs. and I'm not afraid to say what I think to your face or any other wind-bag's out there.

Ohh well, I guess the point of this thread has been made:
    OK, thanks for clearing everything up for us. You rule wind-bag.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What's up with the posts in the line of "nothing compares to a Pike", or "nothing compared to a Marz AM-1"? Haven't you folks heard of a Nixon? I just picked up an Elite and it rocks. Coil sprung, less than 5 pounds even with the through-axle, compression damping, rebound, super low height, and adjustable travel from 115mm to 145mm without affecting the spring rate. These forks aren't exact, but they're close enough that it looks kinda silly when people say that there's nothing that comes close or compares... yeah I believe there is.

I got the Nixon because I wanted to steer clear of Rock Shox after having a Psylo XC 130mm fork that I blew the rebound cartrige up in, and hated the high friction. Wanted to steer clear of Marz after experiencing the pathetic dampening of a Jr. T. Wanted to steer clear of any SPV functionality after I learned to pedal smoother and found that I don't really need it unless I wanted to get carpal tunnel at an early age... whoops, too late.

I know some smart ass here has got to reply and mention the recall on the Nixon, but who cares. The only time it was affected is when the travel went past the specified 145mm specification, and the bump stop prevents that, it doesn't seriously diminish the available travel or anything.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by corndogggy
    Wanted to steer clear of Marz after experiencing the pathetic dampening of a Jr. T.
    not a fair comparison seeing as how that damping system is an entry-level offering (thats why it's a Jr., and not a Mr. or Super). Apples to apples...