should I get pads?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

should I get pads?

just getting back into riding after a 10 year pause. Grew up in FL and never had a lot of true "mountain" experiences. In the past I suffered some injuries in my knees, shins, and elbows from boardsports.

Should I play it safe and throw in elbow/forerarm with knee/shin pads to cover what the helmet does not? If so what brands and products does the group recommend? I plan on exploring FR and XC trails.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I would if you crash a lot or get hurt badly when you crash. As you said play it safe, look at 661 or Roach
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky05rider
    bmx is not dh/freeride....tight jeans are for girls

Fiddle Sticks!
    Oct 2004

I think all freeriders should have pads

661 2x4 elbow/forearm and 661 4x4 knee/shin are very comfortable, affordable, and durable. I strongly recomend them. You hardly know they're on.
    Peace
    Mark
    "We must learn to live together as brothers, or perish together as fools."
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

Whig party member
    Don't get pads, ride like a man. jeans and a T-shirt.

mtbr member
    Until you fall on your knee and aren't able to walk for the rest of your life, good call
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky05rider
    bmx is not dh/freeride....tight jeans are for girls

Whig party member
    Ya, but... good point. I still were a helmet everywhere. braking something is the chace you take if you're going to ride. I don't see way pads help you from not braking something? I personly like having scars on my body, it makes me look strong.

Bighit Evangalest
    Yeah man, chicks dig it, but nothing says "ULTRA TOUGH" like a stay in hospital and massive medical bills. I never wear pads sometimes we even put tiger pits between our doubles

DISCLAIMER: The sarcasm in this post has been exagerated for those who obviously do not pick it up very easily.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To feel no fear denotes a lack of intellegence.
    True courage is feeling the fear and doing it anyway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

I got the point...

I am getting pads. All it took was a slideshow in the Gnarly Crash/Wounds gallery and a few mean knee and shin gashes to make up my mind.

Thanx,

Greg

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by jungleuk
    Yeah man, chicks dig it, but nothing says "ULTRA TOUGH" like a stay in hospital and massive medical bills. I never wear pads sometimes we even put tiger pits between our doubles
    pffft....you guys forgot to feed the tigers, not like they're very threatening now...

not wearing any underwear is as dangerous as i get...actually its more dangerous for others...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

I wanna talk to Samson!
    I have pads(pressure suit, leg, knee/shin), but never find myself wearing them. I've just come to the conclusion that in a crash where your going to get really hurt, that they're not gonna help to much, and I would rather take the extra mobility over the protection in most cases. Pads are not going to stop broken bones.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    I've just come to the conclusion that in a crash where your going to get really hurt, that they're not gonna help to much, and I would rather take the extra mobility over the protection in most cases. Pads are not going to stop broken bones.
    that is definitly in the top 10 stupidest things ever said, and only because its such dangerous advice. People used to argue seatbelts and airbags cause more injuries then they prevent.

I've been in crashes where my leg woulda snapped in half if it wasnt for some heavy leg armor. Same with my ribs and forearms.

absolutly rediculous statement....

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have the roach rally/race face freeride knee/shin and elbow/forearm, they work great and are comfortable, the only time I dont wear them is when im riding XC, ive wrecked going pretty fast and they have helped a lot, the way I see it is they prevent medical bills so you might as well spend the extra few bucks on the roach

mtbr member
    I'm with the Z on this one...pads will eventually save your hide. They saved mine yesterday, woulda been broken ribs for sure, but just bruises thanks to a presure suit.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gmik
    just getting back into riding after a 10 year pause. Grew up in FL and never had a lot of true "mountain" experiences. In the past I suffered some injuries in my knees, shins, and elbows from boardsports.

Should I play it safe and throw in elbow/forerarm with knee/shin pads to cover what the helmet does not? If so what brands and products does the group recommend? I plan on exploring FR and XC trails.

Thanks in advance.
    Check out dianiese pads. They are extremely lightweight and comfy but don't offer the protection that some of the others do. Rockgardn (sic) is one for more protection but also more sweat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

thanks for the help, I will...

buy the 661 2x4 and 4x4 based on your posts and the reviews I have come across. What a great price! The 661 website does not have a functioning "retailers" section so I am a bit hesitant to order online without giving the product a try, unless someone could provide some advice - WHAT SIZE SHOULD I GET??

I have a 34-36 inseam and 180 LB.

Yo Paseo El Scream
    large
    Banshee Bikes
    Honorary Member Of The 200 Club
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    ..."if i can jump it on my feet whilst running as fast as i can, then it aint worth jumping on a bike"...

Whig party member
    You guys make a good piont, but I still can't afored pads. ...

and I can afored a medical bill.

go big or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by gmik

Thanks in advance.
    pads are for pussies...

what kind of a question is should i get a helmet?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Definately get pads. At least lowers. Try the Fox 911 very comfy and they dont move at all. Stay away from the Dainese sp?

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    that is definitly in the top 10 stupidest things ever said, and only because its such dangerous advice. People used to argue seatbelts and airbags cause more injuries then they prevent.

I've been in crashes where my leg woulda snapped in half if it wasnt for some heavy leg armor. Same with my ribs and forearms.

absolutly rediculous statement....
    i agree... i slid out once on my knees and i didn't feel a thing, it was actually so much fun i went up to the walride and did it again

mtbr member

sizing

Hey gmik,

There's really no subsititute for trying the stuff on, but if that's not possible, I would probably suggest the large for you. With a 34-36 inseam, you have fairly long legs.
    Some considerations with leg armour are: 1) will the lower part interfere with a high-top bike shoe, and 2) will the part that covers the knee slip around on impact? 3) will the straps bunch up behind the knee when I ride? 4) will I constantly have to pull them up or adjust them?
    I've never worn 4x4s, but we have them at the shop. PM me if you want more info and I'll let you know where to call. I'll take a tape measure to work tomorrow.

Similar considerations with the arm guards: 1) will it come down too far and interfere with wrists and gloves? 2) will the elbow piece stay in place upon impact? 3) will they fall down once I start sweating? 4) can I wash them?
    Sizing: do you have large forearms? If you're slight - standard build for someone (I'm guessing) 6'2, you'll probably take a large. If you're more muscular, perhaps an XL.

I've worn R0ckgarden, 66l (Race Lite knee), and now Daine5e. I would not trade the Daine5e for anything. And while I did suffer a class 2 AC separation on an OTB at Big Bear, I probably would have cracked something had I not had the armour on.

Good luck!
    -sunny

Glad to Be Alive
    Play it safe and be able to ride tomorrow...get pads.

Supergo was blowing out some roach pads for 32 dollars...use the search buttom and you can find the link on a previous thread
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism

Yes scars are cool but....

Quote Originally Posted by FreeRiderFraser
    Ya, but... good point. I still were a helmet everywhere. braking something is the chace you take if you're going to ride. I don't see way pads help you from not braking something? I personly like having scars on my body, it makes me look strong.
    Well, after riding off the log. I took a rather large chunk o'skin outta my leg on the nubbin sticking out of the side. Being a scar aficionado, I avoided the emergency room and just packed it full of gauze and antibiotic creams. And lots and lots of band aids. And I got to scrub it out with a toothbrush. That was fun. Messy but fun.
    The scar is ugly and the healing process was a pain (Especially the tetanus shot. That hurt more than the crash) Had to be careful about wearing work clothes and not oozing or sticking to them. Got really tired of sticking tape and Band-Aids to my skin, started to have irritation from that as well. Now I don't have feeling in that part of my leg. But the hair has started to grow back, just no feeling.

It's quite the conversation piece and a great omiyagi from Whistler. However, now I tend to armour up when doing silly things.

Oni has more than enough scars

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeRiderFraser
    I don't see way pads help you from not braking something?
    ok, imagine a big pointy rock, and your shin bone. Imagine that big pointy rock hitting your shin bone dead center at 20mph......

do i really need to draw a diagram?

its upto you really if you want that protection. I just don't want people preaching unsafe and unsound advice.