Should I Buy a Big Hit 2 or what else for 2k- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2

    Should I Buy a Big Hit 2 or what else for 2k

    I am a freerider and need a bike for 2k and under. . .the DOT fork works for me, I like it.
    Does anybody have any other suggestions for 2k and under?

  2. #2
    i hate to ride uphill
    Reputation: oneil003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    80
    If you are a freerider more than a downhiller i would say go for a kona stinky. They cost right around 2 grand. I think that would be best for you for the money you have to spend, and maybe once you get better you can put a 888 on it or something.

  3. #3
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    I would take the Stinky over the Big Hit. After working for both a Specialized and a Kona dealer, I'd much rather give my money to Kona.

  4. #4
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,919
    more pedaling get the stinky

    more dh...get the big hit.....Don't get the cheap one though
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  5. #5
    me like bikes
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,094
    i think if i were going more towards the FR area i'd look into a kona stinky. the bighits seem abit more DH and less FR to me. BUT i've never ridden a bighit...

  6. #6
    I heart bikes
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    155

    new or used?

    are you talking new or used? i saw a few demos and even some new-style v10s going for 2k...screw the DOT, get a 888...just my .02
    www.suckcreek.com

  7. #7
    Pain Is A State Of Mind
    Reputation: free-rider_down-hiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,275
    Check out this if you dont mind used http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158983 !
    Opportunity awaits those that are worthy....
    Photamagrapher---http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=244688

  8. #8
    rockin the mid-west
    Reputation: madtownfreerider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,072
    ummm fsr is far better then horst link. my vote is for the bighit. no brake jack or chatter, no need to get a floating disc brake system, no chain growth bla bla bla i could go on and on.
    PUNK FOR LIFE
    freeride & Down hill for life
    Companies I support
    E-13
    Shimano
    Maxxis
    EBC
    Marzocchi
    SIXSIXONE
    Specialized
    Arrow Racing
    Truvativ
    W.O.R.B.A. supporter
    I.M.B.A. supporter

  9. #9
    e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    Reputation: themarsvolta55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,300
    hkjl.kj
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Peace Coast Style
    Reputation: Heals120's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,064
    Check out the C'dale Gemini. The 600 runs for $1,800 and the 900 goes for $2,300.
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    Ever slip a pedal and slam into the seat? That little thing would disappear until I later got to the ER.

  11. #11
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    Quote Originally Posted by madtownfreerider
    ummm fsr is far better then horst link. my vote is for the bighit. no brake jack or chatter, no need to get a floating disc brake system, no chain growth bla bla bla i could go on and on.
    FSR uses Horst Link dumb dumb. Faux-bars are like Konas, Turners, etc. You get some brake jack. You don't really get chain growth with a properly designed faux-bar either.

  12. #12
    N* Bomber Crew
    Reputation: Raptordude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,271
    If I had around $2,000 dollars to drop on a bike, I would head straight to the 7Point series from Iron Horse. The 7Point5 should be right in your price range...and that thing is friggin' sweet.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

  13. #13
    Portland, OR
    Reputation: todd_freeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,112
    yea, I second the 7.5. IHBC make really sick bikes. but also I'd take a stinky over a bighit.

    go try out a 7.5. in the order I would have them would be 7.5, stinky...anything else besides bighit.
    Ibex bikes

    2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    200
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EAFB%3AIT&rd=1

    I just bought this yesterday, great deal for the components. I wasnt to thrilled about the "GT" name but what the hell, couldnt beat the price. Plus the reviews were bad at all.

  15. #15
    Now rollin the Big Hit
    Reputation: J-mizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    425

    Idea! Tisk, Tisk Tisk......

    Quote Originally Posted by madtownfreerider
    ummm fsr is far better then horst link. my vote is for the bighit. no brake jack or chatter, no need to get a floating disc brake system, no chain growth bla bla bla i could go on and on.

    Need to get the facts straight as aformentioned.......

    Come on now you got 1200 posts and don't know this yet?

    And as for recomendations I vote for the Big Hit......Of a previous year...I personally love the 24" rear and can accelerate semi quickly and climb much better. I can;t say enough good things about 24" rear. Smaller diameter also gives better strength.

    I am though limited in my experiences but have ridden Konas that friends own and I just didn;t really dig it. Good bike don;t get me wrong, but there really is a difference in braking forces.

    The other thing is have you ever seen a broken Big Hit?
    They are and were bombproof.....

    Used frames from 05 are giong for about 5-6 hundred.

    Good Luck,
    John
    Hailing from Reno, NV by way of Vegas...
    Now rockin the Big Hit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  16. #16
    I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    Reputation: RYAN E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    742
    you can buy my 05' big hit with a 05' boxxer team for $1700

  17. #17
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mizzle
    Need to get the facts straight as aformentioned.......

    Come on now you got 1200 posts and don't know this yet?

    And as for recomendations I vote for the Big Hit......Of a previous year...I personally love the 24" rear and can accelerate semi quickly and climb much better. I can;t say enough good things about 24" rear. Smaller diameter also gives better strength.

    I am though limited in my experiences but have ridden Konas that friends own and I just didn;t really dig it. Good bike don;t get me wrong, but there really is a difference in braking forces.

    The other thing is have you ever seen a broken Big Hit?
    They are and were bombproof.....

    Used frames from 05 are giong for about 5-6 hundred.

    Good Luck,
    John
    24s accelerate faster since they're usually lower weight, and the weight is closer to the center, but slower top-end, doesn't roll over things as well. It drops the bb height, so the bike is more stable. It's also easier to flick around. And it slacks out the bike, so no, it doesn't climb as well. Quite the opposite actually. Sine the Bighit was designed around the 24 rear, that doesn't neccesarily hold true, but meh.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2000cx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    151
    My offering for $2k...Stinky with some taste :P

    http://www.bustedspoke.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=25056
    Last edited by 2000cx; 06-30-2006 at 02:16 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

    He who dies with the most toys wins...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,441
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    FSR uses Horst Link dumb dumb. Faux-bars are like Konas, Turners, etc. You get some brake jack. You don't really get chain growth with a properly designed faux-bar either.
    actually.. Turners are horst links.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    If I had around $2,000 dollars to drop on a bike, I would head straight to the 7Point series from Iron Horse. The 7Point5 should be right in your price range...and that thing is friggin' sweet.
    that's what I'd do.

    that or get a Used 05 stinky, and pimp it out with the leftovers.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

  21. #21
    New project, TBA shortly
    Reputation: dante's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonk0u
    actually.. Turners are horst links.
    not anymore.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,473
    Why are you all recommending a Stinky over a Bighit? A Bighit is a waaay better bike than the Stinky. 26" front and rear now, way better at braking than a Stinky. Don't feel like crap. Don't have ugly color schemes. Don't have a dumb name either.

    I'd take the 7 Point over both of them, but a Bighit is definitely above a Stinky.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4
    Right now you could probably get a killer deal on a 2005 Giant Faith. They ride great DH and can pedal back up better than most DH / Freeride rigs thanks to the Maestro suspension. What city are you in?

  24. #24
    rockin the mid-west
    Reputation: madtownfreerider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,072
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    FSR uses Horst Link dumb dumb. Faux-bars are like Konas, Turners, etc. You get some brake jack. You don't really get chain growth with a properly designed faux-bar either.
    haha ya got me I ment to say singal pivit point bikes
    PUNK FOR LIFE
    freeride & Down hill for life
    Companies I support
    E-13
    Shimano
    Maxxis
    EBC
    Marzocchi
    SIXSIXONE
    Specialized
    Arrow Racing
    Truvativ
    W.O.R.B.A. supporter
    I.M.B.A. supporter

  25. #25
    Now rollin the Big Hit
    Reputation: J-mizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    425

    Listen! Huh.....

    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    24s accelerate faster since they're usually lower weight, and the weight is closer to the center, but slower top-end, doesn't roll over things as well. It drops the bb height, so the bike is more stable. It's also easier to flick around. And it slacks out the bike, so no, it doesn't climb as well. Quite the opposite actually. Sine the Bighit was designed around the 24 rear, that doesn't neccesarily hold true, but meh.

    Don't know mang....

    I think if i'm wrong please correct me that the 24" rear efectively creates accelerating bike and therefore climbs better as well. The size seems to just motor up....I may be blinded and partial but compared to my 32 pound trail bike I like it much more.

    John
    Hailing from Reno, NV by way of Vegas...
    Now rockin the Big Hit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azonicrider188a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    233
    hey get this sick bike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Signatures are for losers

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.