shorter stroke shock on mc shockwave 9.5?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

shorter stroke shock on mc shockwave 9.5?

hi!
    i was thinking about putting a shorter stroke shock (8.75"x2.75" instead of 9.5"x3.0") on my 9.5 to lower the bb and slacken the ha a bit. this will reduce travel to approximately 8.75", bb height should drop 1"-1.5". possible or will i get problems because of the linkage?
    anyone done this before?

100% Cheesy Goodness
    never tired it when i had my 9.5, but that sucker was one raked out somb!tch to begin with. you're gonna slacken it out a bit more. But if i remember right (which i am probably not), the way the linkage works is that it is kinda linear for the first bit of the stroke, then it ramps up at the end. So i dont think it would have any adverse effects on the workings of the suspension. I would see if you can find someone with the shorter shock that will let you borrow it to give it a shot before dropping the $$$ on another shock. try before you buy.
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    when using the shorter shock, my only concern is that under full compression the linkage will have to move beyond the point it was designed to do and get insanely progressive or something like that.
    but you are right, i should try to find a 8.75" shock and find out myself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You can use a 9"x2.75" shock, but not an 8.75". The swingarm will hit the seat tube. You'll also need a fork with a short axle to crown height.

I'm putting together my 9.5 with a 9"x2.75" Revox and a 180mm Dorado lowered in the clamps. I'll let you know how that works. A guy I worked with ran a 9"x2.75" Swinger with his Fox 40. We had to drop the travel to 7" and slide the legs in the clamps. It came in around 65 degrees. Mine should be better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    good to know, so i will see if i can find a 9"x2.75" shock. no problems with the linkage stuff?
    i`m running a 200mm `05 888 on mine now and the ha doesn`t feel that slack
    but i am going to put lower crowns on it anyway, so ha shouldn`t change that much, but bb height will be reduced, and thats what i actually want.
    but let me know how yours turns out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by random_guy
    good to know, so i will see if i can find a 9"x2.75" shock. no problems with the linkage stuff?
    i`m running a 200mm `05 888 on mine now and the ha doesn`t feel that slack
    but i am going to put lower crowns on it anyway, so ha shouldn`t change that much, but bb height will be reduced, and thats what i actually want.
    but let me know how yours turns out.
    You'll end up wanting to drop your 888 down to 170mm after switching to the shorter shock because I'm sure your HT will be extremely slack, like 62 degrees or something.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So, I have an older shockwave and would like to put a longer shock on it, increasing it fro a 7.5 to 7.875, 2 to 2.25 stroke. Any adverse effects on geometry? This is my cross country ride. and I would like to lighten it up with a DHX-air from the 5th element. This should increase also increase travel from 6 - 6.75 and from 8 to 9 on the downhill side. Trying to avoid buying a 6.6 !

TIA
    Last edited by MountainCycler; 04-14-2006 at 10:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TWISTED
    You'll end up wanting to drop your 888 down to 170mm after switching to the shorter shock because I'm sure your HT will be extremely slack, like 62 degrees or something.
    for which axle to crown height are the geometry numbers on the mc homepage? 7" boxxer?
    bb height is said to be 15.48" (pretty close to what i measure on mine, 15.7"), ha 67, don`t know the ha on mine, but it feels absolutely fine.
    what i thought is that putting a 9" shock and lower crowns on the bike will reduce bb height from 15.7" to roughly 14.2" with almost no effect on ha (~1.5" height reduction in the front and in the back, estimated with an averaged leverage ratio of 3.16)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    hey twisted, finished your project? what ha and bb height did you get? and what does the suspension feel like with the shorter shock?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    hey twisted, finished your project? what ha and bb height did you get? and what does the suspension feel like with the shorter shock?
    Ah, photo op! My BB is just under 14", not sure about the exact head angle, but it feels good with my Dorado dropped all the way. Rides way better. The low BB makes it more stable and corner better. The 8.7" travel makes it feel like a smaller bike. Check out that Ti Revox shock. SWEET!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Ah, photo op! My BB is just under 14", not sure about the exact head angle, but it feels good with my Dorado dropped all the way. Rides way better. The low BB makes it more stable and corner better. The 8.7" travel makes it feel like a smaller bike. Check out that Ti Revox shock. SWEET!
    damn, that looks nice! so you`d say the change in geometry is worth the 0.8" of travel you lose? would it still be rideable with a 200mm 888 with lower crowns? what`s the a2c on the dorado?
    looks like i`m gonna get get some sandpaper and a 9" shock

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    damn, that looks nice! so you`d say the change in geometry is worth the 0.8" of travel you lose? would it still be rideable with a 200mm 888 with lower crowns? what`s the a2c on the dorado?
    looks like i`m gonna get get some sandpaper and a 9" shock
    I think 9.5" travel is too much if you're a smooth rider.

My Dorado is unbelievebly low. I'll have to remeasure it to tell you the exact a-2-c, but there is 7-1/8" distance from the top of my tire to the bottom of the crown. It think it's around 21.5".
    Your bike would be a chopper with your 888 at 200mm. Maybe it would be OK at 170 and the lowered crowns.

I think you'd have a hard time stripping your powdercoat with sandpaper. My frame was never painted. I'd suggest a professional strip job. (h'mm reminds me of a conversation I had with....nevermind).

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    a2c on 200mm 888 is about 22.5" with lower crowns, would mean roughly 1 slacker ha then...
    i`ll simply give it a try as soon as i can get my hands on a 9" shock and see if it works or not.
    what did you use to polish the frame and preserve the finish? usually i don`t like polished frames, but this one

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    a2c on 200mm 888 is about 22.5" with lower crowns, would mean roughly 1 slacker ha then...
    i`ll simply give it a try as soon as i can get my hands on a 9" shock and see if it works or not.
    what did you use to polish the frame and preserve the finish? usually i don`t like polished frames, but this one
    I
    I'll have to double check my a2c, but I have barely more than 8" from the top of my tire to top of my crown. I do think my angle could be a little slacker for faster trails.

Use a green scotchbrite pad, comet and water on your frame, then an SOS pad. After all the imperfections are out use Mothers aluminum polish and a towel to apply. Buff with a second soft clean towel. I really didn't spend much time on mine. I could get it much shinier.

Tim

Members who have read this thread: 0