Shortcuts in DH Races?- Mtbr.com
    Merendon Junkie

Shortcuts in DH Races?

I was at a downhill race this past weekend. At the end of the race there was controversy with a couble of guys that took some "faster lines" down the track that were outside the official course. They argued that since they had not torn through any tape, what they did was legal.
    While It is true that they didnt tear through tape as the whole length of the course was not taped, they went out by the side of a length of two parallel bands of tape that showed the way through a root section. What do the rules say about this (uci)?
    Here is a link to the clip of one of those racers, the shortcut is taken @2:30.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...rid=1496003851

May The Force Be With You
    What was the outcome of the dispute?

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Glad to Be Alive
    If they picked the lines because it was faster ....then disqualify IMOP
    If they got lost then ....let it go

I say disqualify the runs.....it is about integrity... everyone was riding the trail in practice and to suddenly change...they knew their was advantage to cut the course.....now I don't have a problem if a guy can jump over tape to another turn if he doesn't touch ground any any out of bounds...that's just balls
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Merendon Junkie
    The race organizers have not come forward about the dispute. The dispute started after the winners ceremony when a spectator told the guy in 2nd place about the lines 1st place took, which were late confirmed in the videos. The videos surfaced the night after the race was over.

It appears as if the race organizers dont know what to do about it.

May The Force Be With You
    . I'm 100% with ShiverMeTimbers, integrity first. But in this not uncommon situation I do believe it's a racer who must come forward to dispute a potential course infraction, not a spectator and the dispute must be made prior to the award ceremony(?).

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Glad to Be Alive
    If they picked the lines because it was faster ....then disqualify IMOP
    If they got lost then ....let it go

I say disqualify the runs.....it is about integrity... everyone was riding the trail in practice and to suddenly change...they knew their was advantage to cut the course.....now I don't have a problem if a guy can jump over tape to another turn if he doesn't touch ground any any out of bounds...that's just balls
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    . I'm 100% with ShiverMeTimbers, integrity first. But in this not uncommon situation I do believe it's a racer who must come forward to dispute a potential course infraction, not a spectator and the dispute must be made prior to the award ceremony(?).
    I agree. And it was a racer that came forward with the dispute after he was made aware of it. My question is, does the argument "there was no infraction because I didnt tear any tape" hold water elsewhere?

mtbr member
    so... ride off the side of a cliff at the start of the run, deploy chute, land at the finish.

"I didn't tear any tape!"
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    In a WC class race anything not taped off is fair game. Many smaller events don't have the time/volunteers to tape miles of track off so racers have to use judgement on what is short cutting vs the fastest line. In this case the tape is pretty clear on what route the organizers wanted them to take and the route they took didn't even look like a trail to get around the tape. I vote disqualify them!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Definitely DQ, and he's lucky a bear or cougar didn't reach out and snagg his azz! I absolutely despise this BS coarse cutting that started with Enduro racing...makes me wanna reach through my computer and smack em in the head.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!