Shoe question.... 3/4 high 661?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Shoe question.... 3/4 high 661?

I'm a big believer in riding with shoes that protect the anklebone knob. Up to now I've used the last of the basketball 3/4 high shoes that I could find but the sole is not stiff enough for long term pedal support.

I came across the 661 3/4 Hightops and like what I see so far but can anyone confirm that they definetly cover the ankle bone completely?

The other option I'm thinking of is the skate shoe like 661 LAUNCH SHOE along with their ANKLE BITER bone protector. The SPD insole of the Launch should offer up some nice firm support for the sole to help prevent my foot getting sore from all the standing on the pedals.

If anyone knows of other similar gear I'd love to hear about it. Shoes for platform pedal riding that offer good protection seems to be a forggoten area despite all the armor you can get for bike riding these days.

pwn3rator
    five ten shoes...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Both shoes will cover the ankle nicely; however, the Five-Ten is a much better shoe than the 661...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks guys. I'll see if I can find a dealer around here or online. Not a lot of the mainstream internet mailorder stores have shoes I noticed. Like I said, shoes seems to be a forgotten area for the downhill/freeride market.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BCRider
    Thanks guys. I'll see if I can find a dealer around here or online. Not a lot of the mainstream internet mailorder stores have shoes I noticed. Like I said, shoes seems to be a forgotten area for the downhill/freeride market.
    I agree with those above that prefer the 5.10 Impact -I have a pair of the originals that Intense had 5.10 make for them - and they are great...

but my favorite shoes are those 661 Duallys with the 5.10 Dot sole put on as an aftermarket - the best of both worlds - they are the shoes I freeride and dirt jump on...

SNOWRIDER
    I haven't used either shoes. but I do use the 661 Ankle Biters in lowtop spd shoes and they give hella protection
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

mtbr member
    661 Duallies are what you want.
    http://www.sixsixone.com/gear/shoe_dually.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Deweydude
    I haven't used either shoes. but I do use the 661 Ankle Biters in lowtop spd shoes and they give hella protection
    Last edited by lebikerboy; 05-25-2005 at 08:47 PM.

New project, TBA shortly
    just started using the 5.10 shoes and they stick to EVERYTHING. you have to consciously pick up your foot to reposition on the pedals, and there's no way you're gonna slip off. much better for riding/racing than any type of waffle bmx/skate shoe. once you try these I highly doubt you'll go back to anything else. I know of one person who didn't like them, he said that they gripped too well and he liked moving his feet around on his pedals, everybody else has absolutely loved them...

not sure if they have them on their website, but give go-ride a call, they just received their first shipment a couple weeks (month?) ago. should also be able to help you out if you have any questions as well.