Shoe options?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Shoe options?

BH1
    mtbr member

Shoe options?

I have been wanting to pick up a pair of FiveTen's but every time I go to buy them I just can not go through with it because I can't stand the way they look.

Are there any shoes that are as effective as the FiveTens that don't look like orthopedic shoes? More Skate-shoe style rather than Nurse-shoe style?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ba51c's?

BH1
    mtbr member
    yeah i was looking at those as well... Still want to know what else it out there. thanks for the suggestion though!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    just get the 5.10's
    they look pretty stupid, but they work

anyone out on the trail that isn't wearing 5.10's may think you look stupid, but will wonder why they lose their footing on that really tough rocky section

Glad to Be Alive
    I just wear nike high top basketball shoes
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

For The Win
    ratty Emerica's here. unfortunately, there is a hole right through the bottom D:
    Slow is cool too, right?

pro
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I use Lotek BMX shoes. Specifically made for BMX, so they work amazingly well. Thick, thick sole, Deep groves, and you cant feel the pedal in the shoe at all.

www.danscomp.com has a large selection.

mtbr member
    Stop acting like a girl worried about how your shoes look...get the 5.10's because there the best out there. Or find a pair of skate shoes you like and get them re-soled with 5.10 rubber.

BH1
    mtbr member
    thanks for all the input.

I currently ride w/ Nike 6.0's which are really good, Vans have always treated me good as well and I've been through a few pairs of DC's too... All are grippy, but always hear the 510's are far superior. I guess I'm just wondering who else besides 510 and Marz makes a shoe w/ this rubber compound? Are there any?

My main reason for asking is because I'm racing BMX again (after not racing for 14years!) and am at a disadvantage because I'm not comfortable clipping-in yet and want the grippiest shoe/pedal combo I can find. thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BH1
    thanks for all the input.

I currently ride w/ Nike 6.0's which are really good, Vans have always treated me good as well and I've been through a few pairs of DC's too... All are grippy, but always hear the 510's are far superior. I guess I'm just wondering who else besides 510 and Marz makes a shoe w/ this rubber compound? Are there any?

My main reason for asking is because I'm racing BMX again (after not racing for 14years!) and am at a disadvantage because I'm not comfortable clipping-in yet and want the grippiest shoe/pedal combo I can find. thanks.
    You could try some approach shoes, most climbing shoe companies have a model or two. If it were up to me I'd quit worrying about trying to impress the ladies at the bmx track with my sweet kicks, and just use the shoes that have been designed for the purpose.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i picked up some addidas berms off chainlove for 37 dollars shipped

i like em. i can wear them out and about too

gnar, brah
    5.10s are second to none in grip, and I wouldn't want to ride DH in anything other. The Stealth rubber is proprietary to 5.10 I'm pretty sure.

Nike 6.0 is good for DJ/street, will work okay for DH, but 5.10s are a BIG improvement.

Shimano makes a new white/lime green DH shoe that uses a Vibram rubber sole, so that should be pretty good, but I haven't ridden it.
    Trestle Bike Park

N* Bomber Crew
    Clipless shoes and pedals are pretty grippy...

But no seriously I just rock Skate Shoes. They aren't a million dollars like 5 Tens and you can wear them other places without looking like space man Craig. 5.10's are good no doubt, but some people are chill with skate shoes, myself included.

You could get some shin stabbin' long pins for your pedals too.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    DC AT-2 shoes are ****ing amazing.

http://shop.ccs.com/item.do?category...=&brandFilter=
    "Solution to two of the world's problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry."

mtbr member
    Marzocchi's got a pair of shoes out with 510 soles. They don't look too bad, compared to the 510 line up. Might want to look at Adidas Berms and Shimano Mp90s too.

*Edit- Scratch the MP90s, just saw your "no nurse shoes" clause, but I'll keep them in the post, in case you don't mind the way they look.*

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I was considering investing in some 510's (I rode all season in some old Converse Weapons) but then I picked up a used bike that came with a pair of the NYC Freeride Glory Hole pedals. Haven't slipped a pedal since, even in my crappy Converse.

StraightOuttaCompton
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

I gotta pee
    I have the Shimano freeride shoes, had em for about a year now and i love them. Very durable, and very gripping.. For the hike and the ride. I have them paired with the Shimano DX pedals

BH1
    mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input!! So the stealth rubber is propriety then... oh well. Those DC's look good... I might just stick with my 6.0's for now. who knows! Is it possible that there are just way to any options out there? man. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to shop around and see what those 5.10 Basics look like. that could be my closest match as to what i'm looking for.

mtbr member
    I have been using the 5.10's since spring of 2002 and I can honestly say that there is no other shoe out there that will compete with the 5.10's.

There have been times when I have tooled around on my bike with other brands on(Lake, DC ect) and i do not have the same grip or stability. I have also gone on the occasional weekend trip and forgot to pack the 5.10's, on the rough DH stuff my feet bounce off my pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I really like the look of 5.10's new FreeRider shoe. Check those out

When i ride Flats, i just ride some of my old Enkei Classic Skate shoes with waffle style grip pattern

BH1
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenkiS14
    I really like the look of 5.10's new FreeRider shoe. Check those out

When i ride Flats, i just ride some of my old Enkei Classic Skate shoes with waffle style grip pattern
    And there they are!! thank you.

That is exactly what I am looking for.

5.10 grip w/ the look of a normal skate-shoe. perfect. Are they available yet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Not yet, they debuted them at Interbike this year, plenty of LBS and online shops are taking pre orders, available in a few weeks IIRC.

I think i might call my 5.10 rep today to see if I can grab a free pair. IDK how leniant they are about swag though haha

BH1
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenkiS14
    Not yet, they debuted them at Interbike this year, plenty of LBS and online shops are taking pre orders, available in a few weeks IIRC.

I think i might call my 5.10 rep today to see if I can grab a free pair. IDK how leniant they are about swag though haha
    ya know the name? Did I just see these in the new Decline? I'll order these this week!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Found them in another color scheme at this website - they're taking pre-orders now for the 5.10 FreeRider

http://www.ridesfo.com/servlet/the-1...eerider/Detail

BH1
    mtbr member
    ahhh. the name is "FreeRider". I thought that was just the description of the shoe. haha

cool. thanks for the link

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hehe FreeRider.

NP man

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seanzombie1336
    just get the 5.10's
    they look pretty stupid, but they work

anyone out on the trail that isn't wearing 5.10's may think you look stupid, but will wonder why they lose their footing on that really tough rocky section
    Agree. I have both the 661a and the 5.10s and while the 661a look cooler they just don't grip the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbike6270
    Found them in another color scheme at this website - they're taking pre-orders now for the 5.10 FreeRider

http://www.ridesfo.com/servlet/the-1...eerider/Detail
    Ride SFO is good peeps, Phil is a great guy to deal with.

That shoe will not have the grip of the reg 5.10s. Different sole. Won't stop me from buying a pair.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I with you BH1, I could never get over the look of the OG 5.10, they look like gay gangster sketcher moon shoe's. The new FR version, now those look like nice. I'm ordering me a set.
    Boycott Big Bear!

sixsixtysix
    I saw the new 5.10 Freerider in person last weekend finally. Honestly, I wasn't impressed. They are super thin, no padding and the sole is not nearly as stiff as the regular 5.10.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    I saw the new 5.10 Freerider in person last weekend finally. Honestly, I wasn't impressed. They are super thin, no padding and the sole is not nearly as stiff as the regular 5.10.
    Don'tcha know, its all about the style man!

BH1
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    yeah I'm not too worried about the padding since these will be used specifically for BMX racing.

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by BH1
    And there they are!! thank you.

That is exactly what I am looking for.

5.10 grip w/ the look of a normal skate-shoe. perfect. Are they available yet?
    They are
    Check it out

PM and and I'll see if I can help you out!
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Members who have read this thread: 0