Shocks for HEAVY riders?????.........- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Shocks for HEAVY riders?????.........

I weigh about 220 (yes, I could stand to lose about 40 lbs). I built up my Mountain Cycle San Andreas with a Progressive 5th Element shock.

The shock came with a 450-pound 2"-stroke spring. Even with the shock pumped to 175psi (Progressive's recommended maximum pressure), there was too much sag.

I bought a 550-pound spring, pumped the shock up to 175psi, and still too much sag.

I bought a 650-pound spring (the heaviest made by Progressive), pumped the shock up to 175psi, and still there's too much sag! Of the 6" travel on the frame, I'm getting.....oh....3" worth of sag, I'm guessing. That's a bit too much. I'd imagine that making big jumps and drops would result in the shock bottoming-out easily.

So, what are my options here? Are there any shocks out there intended for heavier riders?

I'm also wondering what Progressive would say about using using a 2.25" stroke spring, which would give me more room to adjust the preload (remember the spring equation "F=kx" where "x" is the distance compressed, and F is the force exerted by the spring......I'd be able compress a 2.25" spring down more than a 2".

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator
    I weigh about 220 (yes, I could stand to lose about 40 lbs). I built up my Mountain Cycle San Andreas with a Progressive 5th Element shock.

The shock came with a 450-pound 2"-stroke spring. Even with the shock pumped to 175psi (Progressive's recommended maximum pressure), there was too much sag.

I bought a 550-pound spring, pumped the shock up to 175psi, and still too much sag.

I bought a 650-pound spring (the heaviest made by Progressive), pumped the shock up to 175psi, and still there's too much sag! Of the 6" travel on the frame, I'm getting.....oh....3" worth of sag, I'm guessing. That's a bit too much. I'd imagine that making big jumps and drops would result in the shock bottoming-out easily.

So, what are my options here? Are there any shocks out there intended for heavier riders?

I'm also wondering what Progressive would say about using using a 2.25" stroke spring, which would give me more room to adjust the preload (remember the spring equation "F=kx" where "x" is the distance compressed, and F is the force exerted by the spring......I'd be able compress a 2.25" spring down more than a 2".

Any thoughts?
    i run about 150-160ish psi, idk cause i don't like to check cause you lose air. anyways add a little more than 175 psi add like 185-195 cause when you undo the thing a ton of air rushes out. i was in your boat too, i pumped it to 175 when i don't need to and it worked find. then i checked the pressure and it said about 150 and i was all WTF?? and i guess that putting more air in helps and it isn't exact due the the air rushing out when taking off the pump. also by putting more air in than you should helps to replace the air rushing out.

Can't get right...
    Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator

Any thoughts?
    Get an Avalanche w/ a 700 ti spring. Cost u about 700 bills but will solve ur problem. NO AIR and lots of adjustments. Me(220) my buddy w/ super8 (250) and a friend w/ am RMX (230) all run Avys and never bottom. The super 8 guy bent 3 shafts on Vanilla RC's before switching to avy. Lots of money (mine was a 2/3 of what my frame cost but made my bike a whole differnet animal. I also got a longer stroke & eye to eye so i got an exta inch+ of travel out of my eliminator. Check em out http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/ call craig and talk to him about your situation. It was worth selling my 69 convertible firebird body (got 1900 for the body and called Craig imidietly) i run the 550 steel spring but am losing weight as we speak. Over 205 he recommends ti spring.good luck
    I watch the O.C. cause it makes me happy...

If misery was money i'd be the richest man on the planet.

Beyond the stars

Shouldn't your Avitar be Rinox?

are you sure you are check the sag/preload correctly? for a freeride bike you want like say 30 to 40% sag, right?

so if your shocks stroke is 2.5 inches 50% sag would be 1 and 1/4 inch sag (you see what I'm getting at here? have someone measure your sag at the shock as you are sitting on the bike so that the shock only compresses about 3/4 of an inch)

and then ride your bike around and see how that feels . . .

report back if this works or not . . .

Cynical Bystander
    Try messing with your shock settings first before you go out and buy a whole new shock. It seems to me that 5th Elements tend to run a bit more sag than other shocks do and being that they're so adjustable trying turning in the high end compression most of the way and the low end compression about halfway. OH! Also!!! How far in is your air volume adjustor? (16mm socket knob surrounding air valve) That will make a HUGE difference as far as how quickly you go through your travel. So I would screw that atleast halfway in if not all the way.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by dannymonky
    Get an Avalanche w/ a 700 ti spring. Cost u about 700 bills but will solve ur problem. NO AIR and lots of adjustments. Me(220) my buddy w/ super8 (250) and a friend w/ am RMX (230) all run Avys and never bottom. The super 8 guy bent 3 shafts on Vanilla RC's before switching to avy.
    he doesnt need a new shock, just a heavier spring. And yeah, Super8's have a 4:1 ratio with lots of side-loading, that frame ate shocks out of bad design.

Anyways, a 2.25" spring on a 2.0" shock is normal, although too much preload isnt a good thing anyways. Is this your first bigger travel bike? it may not be sagging as much as you think (35% is about right). Anyways you dont need a new shock, just a heavier spring. I forget what other makes work with the 5th, call Go-Ride, they'll help you out
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Team Sanchez
    There is something seriously wrong with your setup. I weigh 230 lbs, and I ran a 400 lb spring on my Heckler, and it ran 30% sag no problem on my 5th element. I'd call Mountain Cycle, and ask them what spring you should be running on that bike for your weight. They should know.