Shock strength- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shock strength

Thats not a picture of me

Shock strength

What is the strongest 6.5 inch shock out there?including aftermarket. Im thinking either the fox rc 6.5 inch with piggyback resevoir, or a romic with titanium shaft, what are these rear shocks suitable for?

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by potvinwannab
    What is the strongest 6.5 inch shock out there?including aftermarket. Im thinking either the fox rc 6.5 inch with piggyback resevoir, or a romic with titanium shaft, what are these rear shocks suitable for?
    strength? are you using it for a trailer tire chock? dude you have to elaborate on what you mean by strength. people go big on all sorts of rear shocks man.
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

Meh.
    Do you mean the rigidity of the body? Durability of the seals? Quality of the dampening?

As for quality, Avalanche Racing is the way to go.

RCs are outdated. Romics are alright. The shaft isn't Titanium, it might have a Ti spring.

Premium Member
    I would look towards the Fox DHX. Great blend of durability, weight, damping, and versatility.

LOLZ I MEANS WHICH ONE WILL TAKE THE HITS BETTER. i heard the rc's are pretty good

I would go for dhx if it came in 6.5 inch size :'(

Whoaohohohoh
    Hits?

You still have to be more specific, are you looking for a shock for huge hucks and drops, downhill courses, gaps etc....What bike is going on?

There is no great shock out there, some people like the dhx, some like the 5th element and others like romic or avy or manitou, it depends mostly on the rider and what they want to do. If you set the shock up correctly then its going to work well for whatever application you chose. If not its going to ride like crap.

FIIINNNEEEEEE a 6.5 inch rear shock that will take a 6 foot drop and possibly up to 10 foot

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist
    I would look towards the Fox DHX. Great blend of durability, weight, damping, and versatility.
    me no likeie
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Will this romic take the 6 footers or so i want it to?

[IMG]https://i22.ebayimg.com/03/i/07/95/0f/86_1.JPG[IMG]

Description:Romic rear shock for full suspension mountain bike. 6.5 inches by 1.5 inches with a titanium nitride shaft. Lightweight and strong. Compression and rebound adjustments. Custom valved.

Meh.
    Custom valved for the previous rider/frame, not you.

Difficult to say. Depends on the frame design (leverage ratios), rider weight, rider style, and rider's ability.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    me no likeie
    Have you ever ridden one?
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I would go for dhx if it came in 6.5 inch size :'(
    I have a DHX 5.0 coil as my shock and I can adjust it to 6.5 I think it might just be how the suspension works on my bike..let me check..Yeah, it has an option on the frame.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    He's talking about a 6.5" Eye to Eye shock, not 6.5" of travel... I hope.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

lolz yes 6.5 inch eye to eye, whih is why i was surpried that someone reccomended a dhx

Shwing
    i was gonna help but u just said "lolz" so nvm
    Nothing Else Matters...

Old No. 7
    Quote Originally Posted by nano5467
    i was gonna help but u just said "lolz" so nvm
    HAHAHAHA!

And to the OP. The more and more I ride I'm finding out people are buying stuff WAY out of their league. I'm very guilty myself too.
    Anyways, my point is, for 6-10ft drops, most mid. level shocks will hang in there fine, you don't need to spend an arm and a leg for the latest and greatest. Pick up a Vanilla RC if you can find a good deal, or something around the same price range. I'm sure you will be more than happy and never even come close to maxing out the shocks proformance.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

hey im a heavy rider and plus there is always room for improvement so i would rather gofor the highest quality possible and work my way up to giving it a run for my money then starting of with some rock shox deluxe, mving to sum air shock, then to a dhx or equivalent, it would be cheaper, faster and more enjoyable to go streight to whatever is best available, im still vary young and am not looking forward to stopping at one ride style
    Last edited by potvinwannab; 07-05-2006 at 08:28 PM.

lolz n whats so bad about saying lolz my friend

Old No. 7
    hey im a heavy rider and plus there is always room for improvement so i would rather gofor the highest quality possible and work my way up to giving it a run for my money then starting of with some rock shox deluxe, mving to sum air shock, then to a dhx or equivalent, it would be cheaper, faster and more enjoyable to go streight to whatever is best available, im still vary young and am not looking forward to stopping at one ride style
    I hear you, I'm 230lbs, so I have big guy phobia with my equiptment. I just picked up a Demo 9 and a 888RC2X because I was scared to crack a frame or break my fork. I was just pointing out that the more I ride the less I think I needed that big of a bike or that nice of a fork. I bet I would be fine back on a Bighit with a Super T & Vanilla R (but I'd NEVER give up my setup, it's the best feeling bike I've ever ridden. And who knows, maybe one day I'll be good enough to push the bikes limits) I was just saying that most DECENT equiptment will work perfictly for the avrage, non-pro level, rider.
    Anyways, I'd go for a Vanilla RC, and if you don't like the feeling of the shock, send it to PUSH and have them custom valve and tune it for you. I hear that they can make the RC feel just as good as a DHX.

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    lolz n whats so bad about saying lolz my friend
    Dude, any of the coilover shocks common to freeride bikes will work. DHX, Roco, swinger, fifth, romic... You're not going to blow them up as long as you aren't riding a bike with a stupid high leverage ratio. Just make sure that you get the spring rate right and get it tuned to your weight. I find tons of big riders who have their bikes undersprung because they're too lazy to switch out the coil, its asking to trash a shock in no time...

BTW, @240lbs, I run a swinger 4-way with a 750 # spring. I've started cracking a weld on one of the shock mounts, but the shock itself is still good to go and I have punished it.
    Dirty Bird DH Bitches!!! Aug 22-23 Hawksnest- Seven Devils, NC.

even that wee little romic that i posted? Because 10 feet is awfully high and i dont know how anyone actually does a drop that high infact 5 feet is urine inducing for me but i plan to learn to do these drops.

Old No. 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Archdukeferdinand
    Dude, any of the coilover shocks common to freeride bikes will work. DHX, Roco, swinger, fifth, romic... You're not going to blow them up as long as you aren't riding a bike with a stupid high leverage ratio. Just make sure that you get the spring rate right and get it tuned to your weight. I find tons of big riders who have their bikes undersprung because they're too lazy to switch out the coil, its asking to trash a shock in no time...

BTW, @240lbs, I run a swinger 4-way with a 750 # spring. I've started cracking a weld on one of the shock mounts, but the shock itself is still good to go and I have punished it.
    What's your leverage ratio? I'm around the same weight as you with a 6-way w/ 600lb spring and I'll be damned bacause I can't get the sag right at all. I'm only getting 1/2 - 3/4 of what I need, and have the preload backed off almost completly. My ratio is 3:1 (I'm not exactly sure but I'm assuming leverage ratio is an important factor on spring rate)

Meh.

750 is real high for that shock. You're working the rebound harder, and you risk blowing it. That's why most people had issues with 5th's and Swinger's failing.

how do you calculate leverage ratio?

Old No. 7
    how do you calculate leverage ratio?
    Total amount of rear wheel travel divided by stroke length.
    ie... my demo 9
    rear wheel travel - 9in
    stroke length - 3in
    9/3 = 1
    so for every 3in my rear wheel travels, the stroke compresses 1in. 3:1 leverage ratio

mtbr member
    pshh you guys are lightweights, im 270 nekkid with a lean mass of about 250#. on my stinky I killed 3 fox vanilla r's. The pleload screw actually fatigued by about half an inch on 2 of them. so stay away from them. but on my azonic which I have had for about a year now I have a vanilla rc with a 700# spring and havent had problems with it, and that has taken plenty 5 foot to flats and lots of hard urban riding with stairgaps etc. and the only problem ive had so far is a snapped rebound knob. If money is not a problem I would go with an avalanche, but untill you are actually riding the bike hard, any mid level downhill shock should work.

mtbr member

Avalanche!!!

Like what has already been said - AVALANCHE is THE shock if you want durability. Me and my friends have blown them all up except for the AVY's and that includes ALL Fox, 5th (3 times), Romic, Swinger, etc. etc. AVY's are made with a thicker/stronger shaft and seals - it's basically a scaled down motorcycle shock. They're expensive but you get what you pay for!!!

END OF STORY!

G MAN

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    750 is real high for that shock. You're working the rebound harder, and you risk blowing it. That's why most people had issues with 5th's and Swinger's failing.
    Thanks mom. When a heavier weight is on the pedals it effects the coil too, right? Maybe I miss some of the finer points of the physics involved but all I know is that it doesn't top out, it doesn't pogo, it feels good, pedals well, I beat the **** out of it daily... Maybe you're right, but its what manipoo recommended to me when I called them from the LBS setting up mah bike.

I rode it for a year with the preload cranked way the **** up too, and just recently started messing with having more sag, better small bump compliance. Doesn't feel as nice to me though, think I'm going back.

Tell you what, if I end up blowing the rebound on the shock, I owe you a coke...

aww unno id love to get an avalanche but cant find a 6.5 incher looks to me like im going for the rc 800 lb spring piggyback resevoir 12 click adjustment and optional sunroof

mtbr member
    aww unno id love to get an avalanche but cant find a 6.5 incher looks to me like im going for the rc 800 lb spring piggyback resevoir 12 click adjustment and optional sunroof
    AH - you might be right. Another option is Stratos - they're pretty bombproof AND affordable. http://www.stratosusa.com/main.html

Good luck,

G MAN

whats the leverage ration on single pivot?

Old No. 7
    whats the leverage ration on single pivot?
    Look at what I posted above to figure out leverage ratio. Ever bike is different depending on total travel and shock stroke length, single pivot or not.

yeah but i dont know how much rear travel i have so i was wondering if there was an average or if anyone could tell me the travel on a gary fisher joshua rear?

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    yeah but i dont know how much rear travel i have so i was wondering if there was an average or if anyone could tell me the travel on a gary fisher joshua rear?
    You're trying to get the strongest DH/FR shock available to put on a fisher?

and what rong with that?its a good frame and gary fisher isnt crap unno, and they make downhill bikes do they not

if i take the bumper out of the rear shock do i get more travel? or is it just there to stop the shock from bottoming out so much that it snaps in half?

Old No. 7
    Come on man, try some reasearch for yourself insted of relying on a bunch of other people's advice. Go to the garyfisher site and look, or find a review.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thye bumper is in place so metal does not come in direct contact in the event of the shock reaching the end of its travel. In plain english, its like a pillow.

i tried man belive me i tried buh joshua is no longer listed and all the reviews do is tell me how much ppl like the bike(but thats for ME to decide) i think it has 4 inches but not sure

so if i take it off or cut it slightly i get more travel?

ok definitley 4 inches jus found it on epinions, which mean i got a 2.66:1ish travel ratio

Meh.
    Don't cut it off.

It's there to make sure metal doesn't make contact with metal. The rubber is able to compress to an extent.

The Joshua's sucked. Trek/Gary Fisher/Bontrager is just now starting to make a comeback in the DH/FR market.

*Gasp* Explain your reasoning behind this its strong beefy so what its y frame it looks good to me

besides only the joshua frame all the components are different from the joshua bike
    Last edited by potvinwannab; 07-08-2006 at 03:38 PM.

Meh.
    It's not strong or beefy. And the design is outdated. It's a URT (Unified Rear Triangle).

have you ever owned one? i dont see how it isnt as strong as the next bike providing the next bike isnt a vps or iron horse yakuza, and i dont see whats wrong with a urt

Meh.
    I work at 2 different shops. We used to sell them.

Crappy welds, design, and tubing. Also a very inefficient design (which is why they don't do it anymore).

Not to mention it's a Trek product. My friend is an avid fan of Trek. He rides CROSS COUNTRY. And he's still cracked five Trek frames.

I don't see why you're so defensive about it. Facts are facts.

Seeing as how 3 foot drops scare you sh1tless (taken from other thread). I doubt you'll ever break it. But a better bike certainly will make the ride more enjoyable and instill confidence.

lolz because all reviews say its great and plus ive mentioned it 3 or 4 times and no1 except you sed it was a piece of junk, also i have myn in my living room and the welds are not crap, though the 4 inch tubes make it look like a bike that is begging for attention, when i saw the frame it looked like a department store thing but it looks pretty tough, i personally dont think an old design means its utterly useless, it just means its an older design to me and that it isnt as efficient as todays systems but not neccesarily weaker, but owel its your word against...well i dont know all the satisfied joshua owners around the world but alot of people we'll see whos right when i work up the balls to take it off anything more than 5 feet

Meh.
    "You're trying to get the strongest DH/FR shock available to put on a fisher?"

lolz he didnt say joshua that was gary fisher in general

Disco-Superfly
    Save your money and buy something real....
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Oh jezis. Seriously guy, the Joshua was a budget version of the Y, a project which I & a couple others (also now regulars on mtbr) worked on in the early 90s. You could say I know a little about that Joshua of yours as well. Compared to what was out at the time, they didn't totally suck (compared to what we have today though...), however, there were some serious shortcomings to the design & the concept of URTs that made them, at best, a somewhat acceptable solution for certain types of light xc riding. This was apparrent early on, but the project went forward anyay, because The Brand was non-existent in FS bikes, and needed a presence. Marketing decided they looked flashy enough to do it, and viola. The actual originator of the design was flyingsuperpetis, and even he'd given up on the concept by the time Trek got their hands on it. When they brought us in, well, it was an interesting experience. But, in the end, they did sell, and The Company did indeed make their millions on it.

Let me be clear about this. Your Joshua was not made for log travel pistons, not made for safe high speed handling, and was in no way made with 5 foot drops in mind. Riding like that, you WILL break that frame, quickly, and probably injure yourself in the process.

I'm all for making what you have work, and keeping favorite old bikes alive, but I would definitely draw the line long before doing what you're considering. Be careful, have fun, & be SAFE.
    Cause/Effect.

ah jeesh seriously awww man this sux you know i saw the frame for a great price and being new to freeride and biking in general it said gary fisher so i snatched it up, i mean i could have gotten the idrive or fsr frame for 100 more, but hey the joshua looked just as attractive and "handbuilt in the usa" to boot, owel i guess i will ride it till it dies, i mean to tell you the truth i dont know whos word to take the people who reviewed it, or yours, i knew someone who rode his aggresively and its still immaculate but owel, can someone tell me what to look for in a good frame for when this one takes a huge dump on me, i mean this joshua has great welds, very strong tubing, and an alright geometry when coupled with the duro fork i put on, yes its a single pivot but thats the way i like it simple effective and less moving parts to go wrong, so you think this thing will snap if i take it off a 5 footer? or are you saying the gary fisher joshua bike sucked meaning the componenents etc. because the frame looks very nice to me but hey what do i know

and i know everyone who owned a department store bike says this but my old supercycle ds when through hell and back and never quit on me, through doing stairs, 3 footers, rocky terrain, hours a day of riding, and i only got rid of it because 1)one day both the rims bent on speed drop of one foot , and 2) i got my joshua FRAME which i am building but, i mean could the joshua possibly be werse then my 150 canadian tire special? My most memorable moment on my old supercycle was reaching 60 km downhill and beating my uncle on his road bike

just searched up the trek y...that thing isnt looking so hot either

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It doesn't sound like you are capable of grasping the point.

I tried.
    Cause/Effect.

Old No. 7
    lolz he didnt say joshua that was gary fisher in general
    Isn't the Joshua a Gary Fisher "in general?"

banned
    My god, n00b alert??

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? what is the point i am supposed to grasp? Because what i gather is that you guys all say the joshua is sh!t and that it will blowup if i sit on it, you say it has crappy welds(not true) flawed design (indeed true, but i dont mind) and that its all around a bad frame which is up to me to decide because if i were to listen to what people said according to reviews this is a great bike according to you it is a piece of utter crap, majority rules it would be a good bike, but im not like that<----which is why this thread is called "shock strength" not "is my bike a piece of crap?" i truley will decide if its good or not i spent very little on it i have nothing to loose! now lets get bak on topic

Meh.
    Touchy touchy. Buyer's remorse, and blind product loyalty. Sound's like todd_freeride.

Do you weld? Do you know what makes a weld good or bad? Do you know anything about metallurgy?

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    me no likeie
    Yeah, I don't like stuff that breaks after the third ride either

ahuh i c mhhhm i try to end this redundant conversation about my supposed jalopy frame but i guess you cant drop it, i suppose your some welding expert? wether you are or not dont go on assuming i dont know what a good or bad weld is i know a good weld when i see one, these are good welds, hand done oh, wait, maybe gary fisher went and hired a couple of apes to do the welding on the joshua, then glue on a strip of metal to make the welds look good, because you see maybe he had a master plan that millions of people would buy this bike ride it off a clif, then it will blow up killing the rider instantaniously so mr fisher could rule the world! thanks for bringing this to my attention before i got on phew and just to think i could have become part of his diabolical plan thanks a billion!

look buddy what you think people go streight from tricycle to being proffesionals, yes i am new to freeride/mountain biking whatsit to you?

Whoaohohohoh
    Don't cut it off.

It's there to make sure metal doesn't make contact with metal. The rubber is able to compress to an extent.

The Joshua's sucked. Trek/Gary Fisher/Bontrager is just now starting to make a comeback in the DH/FR market.

This thread has turned into stupidest argument ever. XSL will is right, end of story. The Joshua frame wasn't meant to be taken off a 10 foot drop. When that frame was made free-riding didn't exist the way it does now. Frames and suspension technology have come a long way since 1999. If you see people breaking frames from specialized, rocky mountain and other companies that were designed to take the abuse, why in the world would you think an outdated joshua would be able to hold up to the same abuse. If you do decide to take that frame off anything bigger then 3 foots drops repeatedly you are going to hurt yourself.

Another questions you should be asking yourself is why do you want to invest 200-300 dollars into it when you could put that money towards a new frame that was designed to take the abuse you want to give it.

who said anything bout a 10 foot drop? o.O that was the shock not the frame, if anyone ever breaks a rocky mountain on the more realistic 5 footers i could possibly take they weight 800 pounds and landed sideways. and what you think parts arent transferrable? trust me no parts from 1999 on this bike and when it blows like you are all predicting ill have a new frame ready to give tem a home. The point is im terrified of heights, i ride bikes for speed, my 60 pound supercycle did 40 kmh on flats with me in the saddle, 60 kmh downhill and well pretty low uphill i might do the occasional 3-5 foot drop and if the supercycle could handle it just fine then so will the joshua

ok this one is a long shot but hey the price is right and they look like they have all the features but i can see them failing on the downhill you tell me http://www.fastace.net/product-overview-dirt-bike.htm

Meh.
    There's a reason that nobody's ever heard of them.

I hope your headtube sheers off from the additional height added by your Suntour fork. Then again, you'll probably never leave the ground, so it's a draw.

very immature

excuse me? you HOPE my headtube sheers off, possibly causing damage, and death? what the hell is that? why would you feel the need to make that statement buddy? Like what did i ever do to you? you dont like the joshua fine thats good for you i personally heard people making claims of doing 15-20 foot drops routenely on them but if you dont want to accept that/ dont think so/ whatever this thread has nothing to do with my bike, and to be so beligerant and abnoxious as to say what you just have is disgusting, i dont care what you think of my bike ill do what i want on it until it breaks, which isnt likely since im not stupid with my bike, what i do care about however is your opinion on the best 6.5 inch shock out there, whether i plan to put it on a joshua or not has nothing to do with it for all you know i want to put it on a pogo stick so its super strong, i mean please im probably 20 or 30 years younger than you and i would NEVER say something like that, i hope you learn

and this frame will take a 10 foot drop just not repeated ones, its the original componentry on the bike that couldnt take the abuse, a once in a while drop will be fine so long as i make it smooth

Meh.
    Yes, CLAIMS of 15 foot drops. In pinkbike calculations, that comes out to roughly 28 inches. Do you know how big 15 feet is? Most roofs on a single-story house are 12 feet or so.

I'm 17. That's partially a joke. Defensive behavior, another characteristic attributed to buyer's remorse. Just because I don't use LOLZ and talk like a flaming retard of a homosexual (no offense to any of you homosexuals out there, it's a figure of speech) doesn't mean I'm old and decrepit.

If you want to learn, sell the Joshua frame, buy a decent entry-level hardtail. It'll be more confidence inspiring, and less likely to eat your face. If you claim the parts are decent (judging by your current choice in parts, it would seem that they are not) then you can swap parts from the Joshua to the new hardtail.

Nobody said the frame would sodomize you up the @ss if you sat on it, you did. Which obviously means that you're at least partially aware that this is not the correct bike for the application.

aka Jesse Palmer
    LOLZ
    this thread is amazing...

but seriously dude, go out and ride your bike. Dont worry about getting any fancy new parts untill you have had fun with what you have and worked out your basic skills. Maybe in a couple months when stuff starts breaking on that bike just go out and get a nice hardtail like this Rockhopper Pro Disc All Mountain.
    (something in the $1000 range)

For now pick up a copy of:
    Mastering Mountain Bike Skills by Lopes and McCormack
    and Fundamentals Mountain Bike Technique DVD

Oh, and practice dropping off a curb and landing with both wheels level, and then try something a little higher like 1 or 2 feet max. That wont hurt as much if your trusty ole steed decides to give out on ya...

edit:
    holy THAT for 600? jeesh i payed that for a modified gary fisher joshua with a s*** rear shock i wish I knew you were selling this before i went n bought the fisher :'(
    Oh man you got hosed...
    Last edited by jp3d; 07-10-2006 at 06:37 PM.

Old No. 7
    Look man, you asked about a shock that we think could handle some small and maybe bigger drops in the future, and people pointed out to you that you don't need a shock that can handle drops if your frame can't handle drops. This wouldn't have turned into a flame fest if you wouldn't have gotten so defencive about your bike, people were trying to help you.
    You said something about wanting a shock that will last for a long time and that you don't want to buy something mid. level or lower because in the long run ect.... and also you commented saying something along the lines of, "what you don't think parts are trasfurable." The whole reason you created this thread was because you were having a hard time finding a good shock with you're propper eye to eye. Now do you really think a ton of bikes out there have your eye to eye if none of the major shock manufactuers make the same eye to eye as your bike? I doubt it... meaning that if and when your frame fails from dropping, you'll be stuck with an expencive shock that won't fit on any other bike.
    You also said you were a big guy so you needed a good shock, but again, people have warned you that dropping this bike isn't a good idea, and I thought I'd point out that it's def. not a good idea if your weight is a concern.
    The people who flame over the internet for no real reason are just douchebag kids who have nothing better to do than hide behind the comfert of their moniter and talk sh!t because they know nothing can be done about it. So don't get super defensive about dumb sh!t, let them flame, but to be honest most of these people were tring to help you and you got super touchy, so just ease up and ask reasonable questions and think about what somepeople have told you already....
    Jeeze, it feels like I've just written a book.....

Meh.
    Nobody flamed here but him.

You got just a bit touchy in your thread too. That's alright.

You'll find that for the most part I offer lots of help and advice. I like to bash on Specialized bikes after having worked at a Specialized dealer for over a year and having to fix all the problems. I like to bash on todd_freeride for his blind support of said company (thanks for being there buddy) and nothing else.

Hardtails are an nuh uh for me my friend has a specialized hardrock and we bboth agree its a piece of sh!t compared to myn (his fork locked up after blowing up, his rear tire popped overall problem and he doesnt do anything more then a 2 foot drop if that) look my fisher is better then you think, though its no vps

And i talk like a flaming retard eh? because i put a z at the end of my lol? wow doesnt take much for you to blow your mouth off eh? To me you seem a little homosexual yourself but i dont find that relivent in anyway therefor i do not state it frankly thats not all i have to say but thats all im going to say because im not a egotistical steriotypical fool. I know that homosexuality and my grammar have absolutely nothing to do with this thread, However you seem bent on having the last word, wether it be good or bad, and stating that you hope my headtube shreds off is increadibly disrespectful. I talk to joshua owners they are all confident in their bikes and 2 of them have taken them off 20 foot drops to tranny, this bike wasnt meant for that but they indeed did it.

but seriously dude, go out and ride your bike. Dont worry about getting any fancy new parts untill you have had fun with what you have and worked out your basic skills. Maybe in a couple months when stuff starts breaking on that bike just go out and get a nice hardtail like this Rockhopper Pro
    id rather jump off a 20 foot drop in just my shoes then do it with a hardtail! when i started with biking i bought a dual suspension supercycle, i was warned just to buy a entry level hardtail, but to this day i found that supercycle more comfortable, and easy riding than any hardtail ive ever tried, im ds all the way and will give this frame a run for its money to the best of my abilities! and if it shall ever brake which i doubt ill go and buy another ds probably an fsr or more likely if i can earn the money an iron horse yakuza or norco vps

AND WHERE THE HELL HAS THE CONVO ABOUT REAR SHOCKS GONE!!!???OWEL MY MINDS MADE UP ON THE VANILLA RC THANK YOU ALL SO NOW WE R FREE TO TALK ABOUT MY SUPPOSED ALUMINUM TERD

jp3d i like your attitude ! but no hardtail for me

Meh.
    Hardtails are an nuh uh for me my friend has a specialized hardrock and we bboth agree its a piece of sh!t compared to myn (his fork locked up after blowing up, his rear tire popped overall problem and he doesnt do anything more then a 2 foot drop if that) look my fisher is better then you think, though its no vps

And i talk like a flaming retard eh? because i put a z at the end of my lol? wow doesnt take much for you to blow your mouth off eh? To me you seem a little homosexual yourself but i dont find that relivent in anyway therefor i do not state it frankly thats not all i have to say but thats all im going to say because im not a egotistical steriotypical fool. I know that homosexuality and my grammar have absolutely nothing to do with this thread, However you seem bent on having the last word, wether it be good or bad, and stating that you hope my headtube shreds off is increadibly disrespectful. I talk to joshua owners they are all confident in their bikes and 2 of them have taken them off 20 foot drops to tranny, this bike wasnt meant for that but they indeed did it.

id rather jump off a 20 foot drop in just my shoes then do it with a hardtail! when i started with biking i bought a dual suspension supercycle, i was warned just to buy a entry level hardtail, but to this day i found that supercycle more comfortable, and easy riding than any hardtail ive ever tried, im ds all the way and will give this frame a run for its money to the best of my abilities! and if it shall ever brake which i doubt ill go and buy another ds probably an fsr or more likely if i can earn the money an iron horse yakuza or norco vps

AND WHERE THE HELL HAS THE CONVO ABOUT REAR SHOCKS GONE!!!???OWEL MY MINDS MADE UP ON THE VANILLA RC THANK YOU ALL SO NOW WE R FREE TO TALK ABOUT MY SUPPOSED ALUMINUM TERD

jp3d i like your attitude ! but no hardtail for me
    You yourself said that components can be replaced. Despite my dislike for Specialized, I still say it's a better bike. Popping tubes? Learn to pump up your tires, most flats are from pinch flats.

Pictures to prove it. 20 feet is a lot. Try jumping 20 feet in your shoes. You'll likely break your legs. A guy snapped his Enduro SX on a 20 footer in Florida. The chainstay broke clean through. That drop has to have paramedics on standby for it to be opened.

I went from a full squish to a hardtail. I still do all the same things. Hit the same drops. Ride the same DH. the rock gardens do throw me around a bit more, and I do notice the fatigue after a long day, but it's a satisfying feeling.

And you're throwing around the immaturity issue, when the best comeback you can come up with is effectively "yeah? well... you're gay-er"

Now that being said... I hope that your RC loses it's nitrogen charge and you get a faceful of oil after your headtube snaps. Haha.

Oh boy time to respond...

Xsl_Will...
    Dont tell me to pump a tube im not shishore (my friend) he told me to fix it and i have a spare dh tube and tire but i haent gotten around to it and hes to scared to do it himself. As for 20 feet im just as dead jumping barefoot as i in particular am on a hardtail, i lost control and barely averted disaster going over a small speed bump in a parking lot i would like fall off the hardtail or land some stupid way in which the bike would make no difference on the way down. Ds rigs no matter what level or price or quality instill confidence in me that no hardtail can do. and look who said anything about "comebacks" this isnt no "dissing"(gosh i hate that word) competition plus i have descentsy

To fred.r
    because this thread has nothing to do with my frame now does it? care to read the title? you are entitled to your opinion but its my choice to listen to it or not and the odds are against you and either way you shouldnt care because its not your ass on the joshua and chances are you'lle never meet me in your life. Touchy? No but i dont take kindly to being told to go die, and im sure your the same. Ive stated multiple times that i like the frame and you are not going to change that, 6.5 is the eye to eye and the same way parts are transferabble they are also returnable if it doesnt fit which it will wether it needs spacers different bushings whatever etc....and i am not picking any fights here and you know it before you guys all started getting physical about how much u dislike the joshua idea i had no reason to do any arguing, and i didnt i sat there and listened patiently to your 6.5 inch eye to eye ideas.

and another to xsl_will....
    at no point in this thread have i been super touchy or touchy really i accepted the fact that you guys all didnt like the joshua and lets just move on but you kept raving, i got touchy when you told me you hope that my headtube sheers off, and that was 1 or 2 posts of touchiness brought on by you,
    and you like to bash specialized eh? one of the best most trusted most widely supported companies around? Then your standards must be set really high and looks like its ok that i take just about everything you say as a grain of rice and preffer listening to the guy at my lbs

banned
    Oh godd, I thought this thread was over.

Will, I love you. Thanks for keeping it alive.

Whoaohohohoh
    Ok, I will keep this simple.

XSL_Will just stop it, your're being immature, you can think all the nasty worst things in the word but telling them to someone is just asking for some bad karma. Keep the homosexual reference out of it, its not needed and you could have been the bigger man in this convo if you hadn't said that.

potvin. You really need to work on your grammer and spelling, reading your posts is like pulling teeth from a cow. Its horrible. English might not be your first language and thats fine but please try a little harder. A friendly tip using LOLZ is for 13 year old girls and people addicted to AIM, its not to be used on mountain biking fourms.

Finally, we are trying to help you here, when people buy crappy things, we tell them. Unfortantely in your case you bought a product that is outdated for what you want to put it though. We told you that, please stop getting upset when you come and ask for the advice of others and we tell you the truth.

Finally what is a supercycle? I don't know what it is and I highly doubt other people know what it is.

...this thread is dead to me R.I.P-any hope

Old No. 7
    Oh boy time to respond...

To fred.r
    because this thread has nothing to do with my frame now does it? care to read the title? you are entitled to your opinion but its my choice to listen to it or not and the odds are against you and either way you shouldnt care because its not your ass on the joshua and chances are you'lle never meet me in your life. Touchy? No but i dont take kindly to being told to go die, and im sure your the same. Ive stated multiple times that i like the frame and you are not going to change that, 6.5 is the eye to eye and the same way parts are transferabble they are also returnable if it doesnt fit which it will wether it needs spacers different bushings whatever etc....and i am not picking any fights here and you know it before you guys all started getting physical about how much u dislike the joshua idea i had no reason to do any arguing, and i didnt i sat there and listened patiently to your 6.5 inch eye to eye ideas.
    Wow. How can you say this thread has nothing to do with your frame? It doens't matter how "strong" your shock is if your frame can't handle the riding you intend on doing, like I said, you will be stuck with a broken frame and a "strong" shock that isn't compadible with most other DH/FR frames. Being a big guy, if I threw a Roco shock on a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR frame, the shock will hold up fine, but the frame will fail riding the way I ride, do you understand that? It makes no dif. how strong a shock is if the frame isn't made for the kind of riding you plan on using it for.
    6.5 i2i isn't common, so buying a shock to outlast a frame that has 6.5 i2i won't FIT on anything else when you do decide to get a dif. frame. And no you can't return a used shock after you've taken if off a frame and it won't fit. You stated to me earler that you wanted a nice shock so you don't have to upgrade in the future.
    If the odds are against you listening to what people had to say, then why did you make the thread?
    No one is telling you not to like your frame, they are just telling you that it may not hold up to semi agressive riding, rendering your shock choice useless.
    Get a clue kid, and listen to what people are tring to tell you instead of hiding your head up your ass.
    There is a TON of good advise in this thread, most of which you has disregarded.

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    ...this thread is dead to me R.I.P-any hope
    Thank god. If you don't have enough skill to ride a hardtail over a speedbump, you don't need to be doing anything freeride oriented.

Say this to yourself, over and over again : Its the rider, not the bike.

Popped tire? Your fault 99.9% of the time. Either underinflation or casing the wheel on an edge/rock usually.

Falling off the bike? Your fault 100% of the time if you're riding alone. If you hit an obstacle, its more that you didn't avoid it, if the bike goes nose down over a drop its becaue you didn't do what you needed to do to pick it up.

Freeriding is about challenging yourself, coming in here with a bunch of excuses and rationalizations for what a lot of expert riders say are ideas that stink worse than a sack of buttholes is pretty stupid. People are doing insane things on all kinds of bikes, hardtails and fullys alike, all you've got are a bunch of reasons you can't do things.

Fine, but none of us are going to try to win you over, we don't need whiny *****es in the sport. Put up or shut up, if you wanna ride, you will and only riding will make you better.

A decent hardtail will take less maintenance than an XC fully that's used as a DH bike, will last longer, and will probably ride better. I podiumed last year in a DH race on an HT with a 4" against people on DH rigs. I still like my fully better, but you can ride the **** out of a hardtail. if you choose to. Its definitely more work, but doable. One of my buddies rides a santa cruz HT with a 6" fork all over, at the resorts, etc. Keeps up with us big bikes pretty well too except on really rocky stuff.

Old No. 7
    Thank god. If you don't have enough skill to ride a hardtail over a speedbump, you don't need to be doing anything freeride oriented.

Popped tire? Your fault 99.9% of the time. Either underinflation or casing the wheel on an edge/rock usually.

Falling off the bike? Your fault 100% of the time if you're riding alone. If you hit an obstacle, its more that you didn't avoid it, if the bike goes nose down over a drop its becaue you didn't do what you needed to do to pick it up.

Freeriding is about challenging yourself, coming in here with a bunch of excuses and rationalizations for what a lot of expert riders say are ideas that stink worse than a sack of buttholes is pretty stupid. People are doing insane things on all kinds of bikes, hardtails and fullys alike, all you've got are a bunch of reasons you can't do things.

Fine, but none of us are going to try to win you over, we don't need whiny *****es in the sport. Put up or shut up, if you wanna ride, you will and only riding will make you better.
    :applause:

terribly sorry for the absence your centerpiece is late so il try to catch up find whichever one of these replies applies to you and read it, or read the whole thing

fred.r...
    why do you make me repeat myself...i CAN say this thread has nothing to do with my frame because it doesnt, for all you know its a custom frame, when did i ask you about wether it will fit or not, what type of riding my bike is made for, what will fit etc.?it was a general question that has been so sidetracked it is now long gone and there is no useful information you people are sharing with me so seems your only talking for the sake of arguing, which im fine with i enjoy a good argument once in a while.

...and how can you say the odds are against me? check mtbr, talk to some joshua owners with experience i have 4 people who have never owned the joshua and one 17 year old claiming he sold them against i dont know how many joshua fans so dont even bother telling me anything about my frame because im not listening to either because i know that the reveiwers are most likely begginers, but there is alot of them, but i also know that the 4people here are proffesionals and have experience so between the two its knowledge vs. numbers. So leave the question about what the frame can handle up to me to answer because i never asked it and the bike will show me when its had enough

Whoaohohohoh...

uhhh wow you must have owned ridden and broken a joshua to know its a crappy product, i said an occasionald drop not full on freeride and if you read any of my previous posts you'd know im scared of heights, and couldnt do freeride extreme/ anything extreme, but i could work up the balls to do the occasional 5 footer, so it is not outdated for what i want to put it through, outdated yes, but still manages 4" of rear travel which is plenty for me. Jeesh joshua is no freeride monster but its not a crappy bike its a serious bike you talk like its from x-mart, and dont go thinking you are helping me because what i needed help on was a rear shock not my frame and you dont seem to realize this. Its like helping a senior citizen across the street who didnt want/ nor need your help, or giving a man a dollar because he merely looks like a hobo

supercycle is the x-mart bike up here in canada sold at my local canadian tire here is the model ive been bashing, tormenting, jumping, etc. for the past year take one look at it and tell me my fisher sucks

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...=1152596314655

as for my grammar terribly sorry but as you can probably see i try really hard to use full english and the such as for communicating with people unless its on msn i use full words, but my keyboard keys are kind of sticky so sometimes words will be missing a letter or two. as for the lolz sorry boys but thats just me its the one thing i do let it go

as for you Archdukeferdinand...

i am a great rider, im fast, im nimble, im careful, im fearless on the trails, but i am no freerider and dont plan to its too risky and scary for me, i could do downhill but not freeride, i merely posted this thread here because when it comes to shock absorbtion no one knows better then you freeriders eh?

well excuse me but i am defly scared of heights and dont want to kill myself and those are my reasons and they are damn good, i am very flexible but i dont go into gymnastics because i am terrified i will break my neck, i am a good rider i dont get into freeride because i am scared, and my idea of challenging is hitting 60 kmh on the road with my big honkin mountain bike and laughin at the roadies, but i would want a good rear shock so #1 i have more tuning options and #2 i could do occasional drops of 5 feet or less.
    Last edited by potvinwannab; 07-10-2006 at 11:00 PM.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoaohohohoh
    Ok, I will keep this simple.

XSL_Will just stop it, your're being immature, you can think all the nasty worst things in the word but telling them to someone is just asking for some bad karma. Keep the homosexual reference out of it, its not needed and you could have been the bigger man in this convo if you hadn't said that.

potvin. You really need to work on your grammer and spelling, reading your posts is like pulling teeth from a cow. Its horrible. English might not be your first language and thats fine but please try a little harder. A friendly tip using LOLZ is for 13 year old girls and people addicted to AIM, its not to be used on mountain biking fourms.

Finally, we are trying to help you here, when people buy crappy things, we tell them. Unfortantely in your case you bought a product that is outdated for what you want to put it though. We told you that, please stop getting upset when you come and ask for the advice of others and we tell you the truth.

Finally what is a supercycle? I don't know what it is and I highly doubt other people know what it is.
    English isn't my first language, that's not an excuse for poor grammar.

hey and my posts are fully readable

Meh.
    terribly sorry for the absence your centerpiece is late so il try to catch up find whichever one of these replies applies to you and read it, or read the whole thing

fred.r...
    why do you make me repeat myself...i CAN say this thread has nothing to do with my frame because it doesnt, for all you know its a custom frame, when did i ask you about wether it will fit or not, what type of riding my bike is made for, what will fit etc.?it was a general question that has been so sidetracked it is now long gone and there is no useful information you people are sharing with me so seems your only talking for the sake of arguing, which im fine with i enjoy a good argument once in a while.

...and how can you say the odds are against me? check mtbr, talk to some joshua owners with experience i have 4 people who have never owned the joshua and one 17 year old claiming he sold them against i dont know how many joshua fans so dont even bother telling me anything about my frame because im not listening to either because i know that the reveiwers are most likely begginers, but there is alot of them, but i also know that the 4people here are proffesionals and have experience so between the two its knowledge vs. numbers. So leave the question about what the frame can handle up to me to answer because i never asked it and the bike will show me when its had enough

Whoaohohohoh...

uhhh wow you must have owned ridden and broken a joshua to know its a crappy product, i said an occasionald drop not full on freeride and if you read any of my previous posts you'd know im scared of heights, and couldnt do freeride extreme/ anything extreme, but i could work up the balls to do the occasional 5 footer, so it is not outdated for what i want to put it through, outdated yes, but still manages 4" of rear travel which is plenty for me. Jeesh joshua is no freeride monster but its not a crappy bike its a serious bike you talk like its from x-mart, and dont go thinking you are helping me because what i needed help on was a rear shock not my frame and you dont seem to realize this. Its like helping a senior citizen across the street who didnt want/ nor need your help, or giving a man a dollar because he merely looks like a hobo

supercycle is the x-mart bike up here in canada sold at my local canadian tire here is the model ive been bashing, tormenting, jumping, etc. for the past year take one look at it and tell me my fisher sucks

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...=1152596314655

as for my grammar terribly sorry but as you can probably see i try really hard to use full english and the such as for communicating with people unless its on msn i use full words, but my keyboard keys are kind of sticky so sometimes words will be missing a letter or two. as for the lolz sorry boys but thats just me its the one thing i do let it go

as for you Archdukeferdinand...

i am a great rider, im fast, im nimble, im careful, im fearless on the trails, but i am no freerider and dont plan to its too risky and scary for me, i could do downhill but not freeride, i merely posted this thread here because when it comes to shock absorbtion no one knows better then you freeriders eh?

well excuse me but i am defly scared of heights and dont want to kill myself and those are my reasons and they are damn good, i am very flexible but i dont go into gymnastics because i am terrified i will break my neck, i am a good rider i dont get into freeride because i am scared, and my idea of challenging is hitting 60 kmh on the road with my big honkin mountain bike and laughin at the roadies, but i would want a good rear shock so #1 i have more tuning options and #2 i could do occasional drops of 5 feet or less.

Would you like some credentials? I worked at two shops, Spokes and Bikeline. I quit Spokes because of the sh!tty way that things were handled with Specialized and the bad attitude I was getting from the rep. While working at Spokes, I was making extra cash tuning suspension and doing custom car fab. Somehow I ended up with a few forks shipped to my door. So I started doing that. There's atleast 2 guys on here that I've done custom forks for. And I've custom valved every fork and shock that I've owned.

I don't claim to work at a shop. I do. Spokes was a Trek/Fisher/Klein/Bontrager dealer for something like 19 years. We ended up dropping them for the same reason I think we should've dropped Specialized. Too many issues. Trek will have it's eventual comeback, and I think Spokes will pick them back up in a few years.

Downhill is scarier than freeride. Why don't you hang with the big boys some time?

Meh.

A decent hardtail will take less maintenance than an XC fully that's used as a DH bike, will last longer, and will probably ride better. I podiumed last year in a DH race on an HT with a 4" against people on DH rigs. I still like my fully better, but you can ride the **** out of a hardtail. if you choose to. Its definitely more work, but doable. One of my buddies rides a santa cruz HT with a 6" fork all over, at the resorts, etc. Keeps up with us big bikes pretty well too except on really rocky stuff.

Well said! Bravo!

your telling me this because?...

p.s-when i said claim i didnt mean i thought you were b.s-ing i believe you, but a claim is a claim wether it be true or not right? sorry if you didnt think it was appropriate wording

Meh.
    Specialized is far from the best. So don't go and buy a 1997 FSR, it won't do you any good. The aluminum is probably at the end of it's fatigue life too. Oh, go read the o6 bike catalog, it's full of spelling errors.

We aren't going to shove a stick in some dog poo and give it to you, telling you it's a chocolate popsicle. The folks here are going to give it to you fairly straight forward. Don't think that the LBS is all knowledgable. One of our employees can't even change his own tires. He offers dirt jumping advice to me, when he won't even hit the smallest double. He went to a different shop (Performance) and bought a bike there. At the old shop, my boss knew next to nothing, but liked to think he was all knowledgeable. When he and the Specialized rep got together, you'd hear them bashing every single bike that came through the door that isn't a Specialized. The rep has called every single one of my bikes complete and utter crap trying to get me to buy a Specialized. He tried telling me that the Hardrock was a better bike than my Surly Instigator and my Kona Coiler combined. He told me that the Hemi was a way better street bmx bike than my Rochester made Kink.

Zach? Sorry, I'm not into big folks (or men). Look elsewhere for love.

specialized is far from the best eh....and my lbs is bulls****in me eh n my fisher will onli handle the lightest of the light eh ur making more sense the more i talk to you

your telling me this because?...

p.s-when i said claim i didnt mean i thought you were b.s-ing i believe you, but a claim is a claim wether it be true or not right? sorry if you didnt think it was appropriate wording

Meh.
    What happened to leaving this thread?

Disco-Superfly
    How can someone sit through that like will and reply without freaking out.... man..
    that guy is nuts
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Meh.
    ? I'm sorry, I'm not sure I follow.

aka Jesse Palmer
    I think he is saying you should stop molesting the newbies.

Disco-Superfly
    I mean how could you sit there and read everythng he was saying and actually reply to it without telling him to kill himself...
    I didnt even read most of it, and I was pissed
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

you got pissed eh? well then my work here is done...joking
    seriously
    because i dont make fun of people like i mean come on what smart allick would do stuff like call people homosexual because of the way they talk? i mean thats just childish something i dont do. and boy if you get pissed listening to me talk about a frame then your pretty damn hairtriggered i tell you what...

Meh.
    I've worked at a bike shop for over 2 years, I hear plenty of stupid things. I'm Chinese, I have to deal with all the other stupid ch!nks. They make a bad name for all of us. That's how I'm patient.

Oh shut the hell up. Like you've never said, "that's gay." Get over yourself. I didn't make fun of you, I don't like you enough to do that.

lolz ill agree with you partially on your first point i was at an italian festival when we won the world cup and i see two chinese men wearing the bagiest most gangster-wannab clothing ever, but still chinese people dont have a bad rep at all, i dont know where your going, but your area might be different then myn.

lolz you didnt make fun of me eh? so i suppose saying i talk like a fa-g-got is like saying hello for you eh? wether you were making fun of me or not (ofcourse that is in your mind) homosexuality has nothing to do with rear shocks or bikes in general, i dont care if your patient, i dont care if you work in a workshop, and i dont care what you think of my frame i care what you think about the strongest 6.5 inch rear shock is, or atleast cared...and there are indeed bikes out there that suit my needs with 6.5 eye to eyes, the iron horse sinister, and and certain model of the fsr to name two

Meh.
    I insulted you. I didn't make fun of you. Big difference. It happens in life. Get used to it.

The Sinister is not a DH bike, it's an entry-level full suspension. Very few DH/FR bikes use 6.5" i2i shocks because you would have to use a very high leverage ratio to acheive long travel rear ends. This is hell on the shocks.

oooh insulted, making fun of big difference mr sensative...and im touchy?

well thank you for telling me because i was thinking of getting it after a seller on ebay told me it could take 8-10 footers, and im not familiar with iron horse, but it sounded unlikely since it came with a lu jin rear suspension, a very low end x-mart shock

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0