Shock lengths for a Brodie Demon- Mtbr.com
    SILENCE! I KILL YOU!

Shock lengths for a Brodie Demon

A friend of mine has a frame that is a clone of a Brodie Demon. His shock is shot, and it the rebound has gone. He wants a new shock, and I am helping him out with shock lengths. Since the frame is a clone of the Demon, I checked out the specs, and found that the eye-to-eye length is 8.75. I found a Swinger 6 way, and a DHX 3.0, and both however, are 9s.

How will the geo be different if I put in a longer shock than the one found in the specs? What happens if the shock is shorter than the specs? Does even a quarter of an inch play a big difference?
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    There are a few things that will happen with different shock lengths, but you also have to consider the shock's stroke.

If the shock is a 1/4" longer, it will raise the BB height, and make the angles steeper. You may also run into issues with the chainstay maxing out.

If you run a shorter shock, it will lower the BB height, and slacken the angles of the bike. This can cuase issues though, because the rear tire may hit the seat/seat tube.

The stroke of the shock determines the ammount of travel the bike will have. so if it is a shorter stroke than stock, it will have less travel and if it has more stroke, it will have more travel. You can run into issues with too much travel (tire hitting again).

You can take the stock shock out of the bike, and bottom out the rear then measure how long the shortest shock at bottom out can be.

The new shock length minus stroke length will have to be greater than that number to not cause bottom out issues.

But, I would just recommend finding the same size shock. lol

Glad to Be Alive
    less problems and headaches...measure the actual shock length on the bike itself (NOT THE COMPARABLE BROADIE) and replace that
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0