Shock help- Mtbr.com

Thread: Shock help

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Shock help

hello

new poster here. It has been a long time since i jumped on a MTB. i used to go a few times a week doing mostly urban type riding.

well thursday i got it in my head that its time to ride again. so i went and purchased a specialized Big Hit Comp. the problem is this. its used so i really know nothing about it's parts. I mean i know what they are just not how to adjust them.

I have been trying to set the rear shock up all night and I dont think its right.

the shock is a monitou swinger coil 3 way inline. there is no second chamber
    here is what i have done

i loaded the air to 125 pound(65% of my weight)
    i sit on the bike and try to measure the sag. but it seems like its going down to far. if i bounce when on the bike it does not seem as though it will go down any further.

BTW the shock is set in position A

how tight should i twist the spring?? it says 8th inch but that just does not seem right.
    i read the entire manuel online but still a bit lost. Any insight on how to set this shock or atleast info as to what it should feel like when its set right would be great. i want to ride tonight but really want it to be set up right.

from eye to eye its 8.75 inches. with me on the bike its 8.25 inches. it sure feels like its droping a heck of alot more then 1/2 inch. HELP!!
    Last edited by Dropzone; 01-15-2006 at 07:41 AM.

mtbr member
    with the ratio, it should be dropping around 1-2inches, which should be correct sag depending on how much travel the bike has

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ANdRewLIu6294
    with the ratio, it should be dropping around 1-2inches, which should be correct sag depending on how much travel the bike has
    from what i understand it has 7.5" or rear travel.

i took it out for a few min this morning and i think its ok. i just needed to try it in real world not the living room lol

Members who have read this thread: 0