Shiver DC Owners - Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Shiver DC Owners - Help

I am wondering if I need a new lower crown w'steerer and a drop crown.

I have a 2003 Shiver DC on my 03 Lg. Bullit. This fork was bought used with the normal top crown and a cut steerer. The steerer is barely long enough but does protrude 1/8" above the top crown, just enough for a spacer and the top cap.

I was riding some rock gardens today and noticed the headset was coming loose. I tightened it and a couple runs later it was loose again. Then one of my buds noticed that one of the fork legs was pused up about 1/3" higher that the other one! So I loosened both crowns and made the legs match up with the first "ring mark" just showing on the outside of the top crown.

Hit some more rock gardens and everything was cool the rest of the day.

Then I got to thinking what if the legs are too short now, so I looked up what the measurement is supposed to be for the length of the legs below the lower crown.

I am an inch short based upon measurement "b" on page 14 of the tech manual.

http://www.marzocchi.com/system/2110/2003Bomber_en.pdf

So then I measured the distance from the top of my 2.7 Kenda Nevagal to the buttom of the lower crown. It was 185mm. So if the forks have 190mm travel and I bottom them out will the tire hit the crown? Will it throw me OTB?

I have bottomed these forks before with no problem but I had the legs pushed down about 9mm more.

Should I just not worry abouth this and ride?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Axis
    I

So then I measured the distance from the top of my 2.7 Kenda Nevagal to the buttom of the lower crown. It was 185mm. So if the forks have 190mm travel and I bottom them out will the tire hit the crown? Will it throw me OTB?

I have bottomed these forks before with no problem but I had the legs pushed down about 9mm more.

Should I just not worry abouth this and ride?
    yes worry....OTB will happen .......take a picture and show us what line you mean
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    yes worry....OTB will happen .......take a picture and show us what line you mean
    SHould I just pop the top caps and compress the fork all the way to see if the tire hits?

Here you go....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    His steertube is really short, barely big enough to clear the headtube. A new steertube and lower crown will help him run a stem, but the issue I think that would resolve your problem Axis is a drop crown so you don't have to inch up the stanchions and risk bottom out clearance issues with your tire. I think you could just drop the tubes back down to the lowest setting and secure a good pinch with the bolts. Your star nut you should pound out and drop in a new one so it bites better and doesn't rotate when you tighten your headset bolt.

BTW, this is Josh, aka 9 finga's sucka

Where's those photo's, I'm waiting in suspense.
    Now it's time for the blubba
    Blabba
    To watch that belly get fatter
    Fat boy on a diet
    Don't try it
    (SMT, WCH,EIO)I'll jack your @ss like a looter in a riot
    My sh!t's fat like a sumo slammin' that @ss
    Leavin' your face in the grass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by O~Hi~O
    His steertube is really short, barely big enough to clear the headtube. A new steertube and lower crown will help him run a stem, but the issue I think that would resolve your problem Axis is a drop crown so you don't have to inch up the stanchions and risk bottom out clearance issues with your tire. I think you could just drop the tubes back down to the lowest setting and secure a good pinch with the bolts. Your star nut you should pound out and drop in a new one so it bites better and doesn't rotate when you tighten your headset bolt.

BTW, this is Josh, aka 9 finga's sucka

Where's those photo's, I'm waiting in suspense.
    Hey that was good riding today. I am having problems with SJ photo uploads but here is a few of you on my bullit....

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Damn I'm fat, ok you can remove those now, at least the middle one where my man boobs and gut are highly visible....guess that's what stress, divorce and beer does to ya...I need to take more photos of myself so I can realize that I'm not in good shape anymore lol...

Good riding today though, that place is a ball! I need to score a shiver for up front, that z1 frII just aint cutting it for my girthy arse.
    Last edited by O~Hi~O; 05-31-2005 at 08:08 PM.
    Blabba
    Fat boy on a diet
    Don't try it

mtbr member
    Damn I'm fat, ok you can remove those now, at least the middle one where my man boobs and gut are highly visible....guess that's what stress, divorce and beer does to ya...I need to take more photos of myself so I can realize that I'm not in good shape anymore lol...

Good riding today though, that place is a ball! I need to score a shiver for up front, that z1 frII just aint cutting it for my girthy arse.
    Hey don't be hard on yourself. I am 30 pounds overweight myself. No biggie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hey don't be hard on yourself. I am 30 pounds overweight myself. No biggie.
    Your not 30 lbs over weight!? Anyhow, It's just that I tend to loose 10lbs, then feel good about it thinking I"m my old sexy self...but then I see pictures like these one's and realize that I have a looooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go...Loosing weight blows, gaining weight is just too damn easy for me. sucks. Oh well, I guess I just need to keep at it, hoping this humidity and summer heat will help me shed some lbs.
    Blabba
    Fat boy on a diet
    Don't try it

mtbr member
    Your not 30 lbs over weight!? Anyhow, It's just that I tend to loose 10lbs, then feel good about it thinking I"m my old sexy self...but then I see pictures like these one's and realize that I have a looooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go...Loosing weight blows, gaining weight is just too damn easy for me. sucks. Oh well, I guess I just need to keep at it, hoping this humidity and summer heat will help me shed some lbs.
    I am 210 on an empty stomach and uh... bowels too, lol. I actually could stand to lose 40.

Oh the summers here get humid.

Glad to Be Alive

beer, pizza and hookers are hard to give up
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 05-31-2005 at 10:33 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Metal Head
    That was a great time riding!!!!!! Hope to ride Saturday!!

gnar, brah
    According to the pictures that is an '02 Shiver. I doubt that makes a difference, but just in case....
    Trestle Bike Park

Xtremely Moderate
    beer, pizza and hookers are hard to give up
    Just don't let the hoes get on top and be humper, not the humpee..........burns that beer & za right off.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    Just don't let the hoes get on top and be humper, not the humpee..........burns that beer & za right off.
    no let them on top...i will kick back w/a beer

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by e[i
    o]Just don't let the hoes get on top and be humper, not the humpee..........burns that beer & za right off.
    lol..
    [/i]
    Blabba
    Fat boy on a diet
    Don't try it

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    no let them on top...i will kick back w/a beer
    LMAO

one of my buddy's sex fantasy back in HS was to smoke a cig while getting his sausage polished lol
    Blabba
    Fat boy on a diet
    Don't try it

mtbr member

So any answers to my questions?

Glad to Be Alive
    how about a picture of both crowns and tape measure from tire

Glad to Be Alive
    LMAO

one of my buddy's sex fantasy back in HS was to smoke a cig while getting his sausage polished lol
    oh I have funny funny story about that (with a beer instead of a smoke) ...can't tell here though

Former Noob Herder
    yeah, unless you have a 8mm spacer between your upper crown and headset, you're gonna need a drop crown (ie. new upper crown).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

mtbr member
    how about a picture of both crowns and tape measure from tire
    Hope this helps. The top of the tire to the bottom of the crown is about 7.4". I have another 1/4" I could slide the legs down but look at how much is sticking out of the top crown and let me know if you think it is safe.

mtbr member
    Well I just noticed that the 2.5" Kenda nevegal sits .5" lower than the 2.7"!!! The 2.7" measures 14"!!! That makes it a 28" wheel!

I have exactly 7.5" fromt he top of the knobby to the bottom of the lower crown so if I change it out for a 2.5" I will have 8". Might have to do that. What do other shiver owners have for a measurement from the top of the knobby to the bottom of the lower crown?