Shin pads + cracking?- Mtbr.com
    Disco-Superfly

Shin pads + cracking?

I was riding with my buddy the other day and he wore his shin pads... They are troy lee, pretty basic pads

so anyways, were riding down the hill and his tires slid out and he crashed into the woods and landed on his shoulder ish area, it was all scratched up..
    at the bottom he noticed too that one of his shin pads cracked?
    this is the second time he wore them (no joke) and first impact they have taken...

so we called up the shop seeing if something can be done about his broken shin pad..
    they said "its like a helmet, its supposed to "break" on impact" ...

I thought WTF! they're supposed to save you from rocks digging into your shins not protect the brain in your leg?
    they should last more than one impact they're f*cking shin pads...

so are they really a one time impact thing? because that seems absurd to me.

they cracked on the kneecap plastic peice and its cracked to about half way down the knee cap peice..

its not like he wore them for 2 seasons, it was the 2nd use, and first impact... they're no good already?
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    Sounds like corporate BS to me! I rode a pair of Race face DH shins and the second day the stiching that binds the plastic knee cup to the pad came apart. It is a sad state of affairs when a large company makes their product shoddy in hopes that the consumer will just"buy another pair" FUUCK THAT!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I've had various brands of knee pads and they all have lasted through many impacts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I think the older TLD's are known for cracking. I recall reading the reviews on them and hearing about the brittle cups. My Roaches have scratches on them from falling on bolders and wood up on the Shore, but no cracking...
    Last edited by MonkeyBidnezz; 07-18-2007 at 09:01 PM.

Glad to Be Alive
    go above the bike shop and contact the manufacture directly...take a picture of them too.....right away they will know just by looking at the pads how much use they have had.....If everything you say is the truth you should have new pads right away
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    go above the bike shop and contact the manufacture directly...take a picture of them too.....right away they will know just by looking at the pads how much use they have had.....If everything you say is the truth you should have new pads right away
    yeah they look brand new no scratches from old use... ill do that

thanks everyone i knew that shin pads were'nt "supposed" to crack that doesnt make any f*ckin sence....
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

mtbr member
    Actually they state with any armor for biking that you buy they are primaryly for shielding you from debree coming up and hitting you. If you hit a hard surface like a rock the plastic can only take so much force...Armor essentially only protects you from most superficial wounds, its not going to stop a bone breaking or a serious ligament of tendent tear. They mention all of this in the "fine print" for anything you buy. Unless it was a really low impact crash and the polymer was super weak...

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettj45
    Actually they state with any armor for biking that you buy they are primaryly for shielding you from debree coming up and hitting you. If you hit a hard surface like a rock the plastic can only take so much force...Armor essentially only protects you from most superficial wounds, its not going to stop a bone breaking or a serious ligament of tendent tear. They mention all of this in the "fine print" for anything you buy. Unless it was a really low impact crash and the polymer was super weak...
    I realize they are not going to protect broken bones...
    this kind of impact is ridiculous he didnt land on his knee, he landed on his shoulder (and took a nice dig into that lol)

i use shin pads for pedal protection...
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

mtbr member
    Yeah, ditto...Sounds like some ********. Call the company or email them give a detailed description of what happened and try to get a refund. If your friend gets new ones I would suggest daineses or roach, I ride both and never had a problem with either.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettj45
    Yeah, ditto...Sounds like some ********. Call the company or email them give a detailed description of what happened and try to get a refund. If your friend gets new ones I would suggest daineses or roach, I ride both and never had a problem with either.
    not going to bag on them for warranty, maybe some sort of crash replacement or upgrade type thing... after all, they were "crashed" on..
    but I will be sending them an email with pics soon...
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

mtbr member
    sounds like an unlucky crash. my old kneepads split down the knee cup just like that. if i were him i'd buy a different brand of pads (raceface gets my vote) and just be glad he had some protection on his knees that crash.

Me hates pinchflat
    A friend had that happen to him with a pair of 661 races. Theyre cracked (something like half an inch) but he is still using them anyways
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

Disco-Superfly
    pictures

Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

moaaar shimz
    Nothing some duct tape cant fix

Me hates pinchflat
    oh. Thats a bit bigger than I imagined
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

Members who have read this thread: 0