which shin guards cover your ENTIRE shin?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

which shin guards cover your ENTIRE shin?

Looking for a little guidance.....I'm in need of a knee/shin guard set up that provides maximum shin coverage but is tolerable for XC/AM. There are medical reasons for the need and I figured this forum knows body armor better than any other.

The goal:
    Find something that covers the *entire* shin. Including the area just above my ankle. Seems to be ALOT of options that cover 1/2 or 2/3rds of your shin but leave that few inches above your ankle exposed. This won't work for me, I need total coverage. Which set up is going to go down far enough to almost touch my shoes?

Coverage is definitely more important than comfort -though it would be sweet to find something I'd be willing to strap on in July/August for an XC/AM ride.

Either way, I'd appreciate your suggestions.

N* Bomber Crew
    I use the SixSixOne 4X4 Shin guards. I really like them and have been using them for years. They wrap around your entire shin and the majority of your knees. The pad starts just above the ball of your ankle. They are pretty lightweight, they almost never shift around or fall off, and they don't clunk or snag against anything.

The only con is that they do tend to get hot and "cook" your shins. You'll be mighty sweaty on your shins after a day of riding, but this doesn't bother me too much. A lot of people like them because they also cover the back of your shins in case you roll forward off the pedals or something.

The pads seem like they would work for you. If you're worried about ankle protection, I'd suggest these pads and a pair of 5.10 High Tops.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Roach/Race Face pads, they don't feel hot at all to me. I ride them any time I ride, DH/FR/XC. I never ride without them, I don't even notice they are on when i ride and they are super comfortable. Heat hasn't been an issue at all and I ride in 95 degree HUMID weather in NC over the summer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I hate my 4X4's the leave a good two inches above the ankle uncovered and fall half way through every ride.

661veggie with knee attached (although sold seperate) soft on the inside, and fits under jeans.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumba15
    Roach/Race Face pads, they don't feel hot at all to me. I ride them any time I ride, DH/FR/XC. I never ride without them, I don't even notice they are on when i ride and they are super comfortable. Heat hasn't been an issue at all and I ride in 95 degree HUMID weather in NC over the summer.
    +1 for the Roach/Race face pads. I have the FR version (without the mesh backing), and I can wear them all day, even during fireroad climbs in the summer. The straps are a bit tight on the calves though (but I am 5'10" and more built than your average Joe).

killin clear creek
    I've got a set of 661's, a few others & a set of fox launch pads, not a big fox fan, but those are hands down the best in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

mtbr member
    Fox Launch knee/shin(not the shortys) and THE Storms are some of the better ones I've had/have. Vents real good, hardly notice they're there, they provide plenty coverage and don't slip.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by juanbeegas
    THE Storms are some of the better ones I've had/have. Vents real good, hardly notice they're there, they provide plenty coverage and don't slip.
    Enh, I have both, the mesh "sock" on the THE is falling apart VERY quickly. Wouldn't reccomend. The velcro clasping system is kinda weak too

Glad to Be Alive
    Roach/Race Face pads,
    .....next question !!!
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Roach/Race Face, FR edition. I'm 5' 10", and I use the largest size they sell. 100% coverage, and the oversized length will keep them from sliding down when you pedal. Our whole riding crew is decked out that way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    Enh, I have both, the mesh "sock" on the THE is falling apart VERY quickly. Wouldn't reccomend. The velcro clasping system is kinda weak too
    So did I. I had the Launch and am now using the Storm. The Storm, I've had since November of last year and it's holding up fine for me. I throw them in a mesh laundry bag and dump them in the washing machine after every ride and they're still holding up. The Launch, I retired, because they were falling apart from use. I ran those for about a little more than a year.

maker of trail
    another vote for the 661 4x4, I find it pretty comfortable and not too hot... mind you its not too hot here anyway lol

should know better.....
    661 Race Knee/Shin full coverage of the front front the knee down.
    661 4X4 Knee/Shin also .
    I've been using both of these, 4x4 for more xc rides, Race for higher speed, rockier terrain. I find that both stay in place, and are fine for pedaling.
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My fox launch pads come down pretty much to the tongue of my 510 Rennies (mid tops). My vote is for them, but they're the only high end pad I've tried.

...idios...
    RaceFace or Dainese Pro Guards. Both are very comfortable for long rides/climbs, too.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Dainese Revolutions

mtbr member
    I've wondered about the Rally FR/DH knee shin guards... I see them sized for a person's height? What happens if you're tall, but really skinny(I'm 5'11" and only 50kg/110lbs)? I've used the Launch knee/shin guards in a size S and my Storm knee/shins are also sized small.

Nov 2007
    RockGardn landing zone. I'm not a huge fan of the upper strap but they protect me real well and the strap thing is only minor

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    I own a few different varieties. My legs are a bit skinny for my height, so take that into account.

661 4x4 - Great protection from knee to ankle, but they slide down to my shoe within 5 seconds. I stopped using them because the tops of my knees were getting scraped up when I wrecked on the DH bike. I hated wearing these when pedaling, they feel restrictive and it makes them slide down even faster.

661 Kyle Straight knee + Veggie shin - Stays in place very well, FULL coverage from ankle to lower thigh, not designed for big impacts. Overall, works well, but hot.

Race Face/Roach Rally FR - Awesome. Stays in place, can take a lot of abuse, not hot, doesn't inhibit pedaling (I sometimes use them for racing Super D) the straps fit my legs well The only drawbacks are that with the open back FR version, you can still get pedal scrapes on the back of your leg (although that is a trade off for them not being too hot) and the top-of-knee protection isn't as good as the 661 Kyle Straight knee pads.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Lizard Skins = Full coverage, not so good on ventilation though.
    Last edited by NorKal; 12-29-2010 at 10:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Fox Launch. They are really comfortable, easy on and off, and offer full coverage of the shin from ankle to knee. They do not have calf coverage though if you were looking for full lower leg coverage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by juanbeegas
    I've wondered about the Rally FR/DH knee shin guards... I see them sized for a person's height? What happens if you're tall, but really skinny(I'm 5'11" and only 50kg/110lbs)? I've used the Launch knee/shin guards in a size S and my Storm knee/shins are also sized small.
    I am also tall and skinny (6'3 and 160) and tried quite a few different pads. The rally in a medium was great for me. I feel like my shins are completely protected and can actually strap them around my knee.

Kind of funny story, as I am trying them on, the guy at the shop says the second strap from the bottom is useless because it is too short and he has never seen anybody that it fits on. As he says this I tighten up the strap and still have about 2 inches of overlap, his comment "wow I guess you are really skinny"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Excellent feedback, as expected from this crew. I really appreciate it. Off to check availability on the various recommendations.

Curious about the Roach/Raceface.....Raceface website shows their guards/protection well enough, no mention ofe Roach. Is this a discontinued product? Their current Rally FR set up looks pretty sweet but even some "sketchy cuz I'm at work" Googling didn't turn up the Roach/RaceFace name.....

mtbr member
    Don't know how much you are willing to spend, but POC bone knee/shin hands down for freeride and downhill...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckaloe
    Excellent feedback, as expected from this crew. I really appreciate it. Off to check availability on the various recommendations.

Curious about the Roach/Raceface.....Raceface website shows their guards/protection well enough, no mention ofe Roach. Is this a discontinued product? Their current Rally FR set up looks pretty sweet but even some "sketchy cuz I'm at work" Googling didn't turn up the Roach/RaceFace name.....
    I believe that Roach was the name that they were previously manufactured under. Now they are branded as Race Face. If you were looking at used or "new-old stock" you might find them under the Roach brand. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

jones'in
    I've got the 661 4x4. I really dislike them. Too hot and a pain in the butt to put them on and take them off. Having said that, they've held up really well....so, at least they're durable. If I can ever manage to wear these things out, I'll be moving over to the Race Face guards.
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I recently bought the Race Face Rally FR, and they are pretty comfortable, and surprisingly didn't get that hot (and this is with a fair amount of pedaling/climbing). However the DH ones have coverage of the calves which i have no experience of.

Ancient Chinese Secret
    Roach (Race Face) Rally knee/shinguards ('08 models) on special now at Pricepoint for $35. http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/130...-Leg-Armor.htm Get 'em while you can.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Swell Guy
    Roach (Race Face) Rally knee/shinguards ('08 models) on special now at Pricepoint for $35. http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/130...-Leg-Armor.htm Get 'em while you can.

Swell Guy, you da man. Done deal. Thanks again all.

Members who have read this thread: 0