Shimano lever flip- Mtbr.com
    No Fear

Shimano lever flip

Hmm you know I want to flip the hoses on a Shimano brake to change the front and rear controls .
    I have one question can I do the job without bleeding? I mean to take the lines out of the levers neat and set each in the other lever without fluid loss either from the hose or the lever?
    You know im in lack of Mineral oil right now and I need to do the job!!

Oh by the way another thing I use Shimano’s mineral fluid . I want to know can I use it in other brands which use minerals?? Like Magura—Tektro or I have to use their own fluid in each??

Glad to Be Alive
    sorry if you open it up it is best to bleed it....there is no way you won't have an air pocket
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    If people cut the hose shorter and replace it without a bleed (done very often) then it shouldn't be a problem to just switch the lines

If you keep the cap on the lever no fluid should leak out.

Meh.
    Squeeze the lever to pump out the piston before you disconnect the hoses. Swap the hoses (you SHOULD use a new compression olive and barb fitting). Tighten up the fittings. Reset the pistons. Remove the reservoir cover and diaphragm and top off the fluid.

No Fear
    Thanx all did it with levers all way down and it was done !

No Fear
    Hmm by the way i didnt use a new compression fitting kit !! would it make any issues in the future

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by SABER_MTB
    Hmm by the way i didnt use a new compression fitting kit !! would it make any issues in the future
    If it tightened up and isn't leaking it may be okay. It is best to use new fittings. The fittings are supposed to deform to make a seal. Obviously it can't do that as well if it has already been deformed.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Magura Blood mineral oil = Shimano mineral oil, but 1/10th the cost or something. Easy to buy in larger quantities and keep a perfect bleed at all times.

No Fear
    Hmm i have done the same thing on hayes and Avid with no new compresion fittings and it was well done do the fittings in shimano differ from those ?? very much?

Meh.
    You're supposed to replace the fittings with Hayes and Avid brakes too... They're all made of brass. And they are meant to deform to make a seal.

Magura mineral oil and Shimano mineral oil are different viscosities. I have seen them mixed or used in the other system though. It seemed to work fine.

No Fear
    Got a problem today. I was working the same job on a set of Shimano M 454s . I pulled out one hose from its lever . But on the other side when i opened the hose nut is simply wouldnt come out . i pull on the hose ' drag it ' wiggle it around ' taper it **** it but the **** compression olive is stuck in the lever like **** .

Any suggestions??

Meh.
    Pull harder. They get stuck.

Members who have read this thread: 0