Shimano Hone cranks?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Shimano Hone cranks?

Are Shimano Hone cranks strong enough for freeride/DJ abuse? How about RF Atlas? Which do you think would hold up better? I'm thinking drops around 10 ft. to tranny etc. Nothing that would get me in a NWD video or anything...thanks. I already have both sets and just wondering which set should go on my AM bike and which on my FR rig.

TNC
    noMAD man
    The Hone crankset would be a better AM setup. It's really just an LX crankset with a Saint-like paint job. It's a very good crank, and I've had one on a Nomad. Its thru-axle design and outboard bearings make it a stout crankset, but not a big hucking setup. I'm not that familiar with the Atlas.

Meh.
    Both the Atlas and Hone cranks are more all mountain type cranks. They can take some moderate drops, but I think 10 feet is pushing it. The Atlas is a super sweet crank though.

Premium Member
    The Hone with 2 rings has a steel spindle, which makes it good for freeride. The 3 ring version has an aluminum spindle, so it's just an LX which isn't good for drops. Get the other version and you're golden.

mtbr member

steel axle huh?

I do have the double ring version...I know the RF has a cro-moly axle too...I thought all cranks had steel axles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Both are plenty strong for hucking. One of the Vancouver DH race teams runs Atlas cranks on their race bikes. I've ridden with a few of them up at Whistler, they're definitely going more than 10 feet.

Put whichever one is lighter on your AM bike (prolly the Atlas).

mtbr member
    cool. thanks. THe Hones have a steel pedal insert, RF does not. Otherwise, I guess they're about equal. So I guess the RF are going AM and Hone to the FR.

Retread soul rider
    Dec 2005
    Hone is strong enough for me (180# w/o gear) on DJ, drops on a HT to tranny... bigger jumps are 16' gaps, drops are pushing close to 10 feet with no problems

No Fear!
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    The Hone crankset would be a better AM setup. It's really just an LX crankset with a Saint-like paint job. It's a very good crank, and I've had one on a Nomad. Its thru-axle design and outboard bearings make it a stout crankset, but not a big hucking setup. I'm not that familiar with the Atlas.

Thats not true one model of Hone is a respared LX and the other is not there are 2 types of Hone,M600 is a LX resprayed,A M601 is not,go for the M601

My m8 uses Hone M601 and he does 14ft drops and 20ft DJ and they seem fine handle it very sweet,Shimano do it again with there budget gear

Members who have read this thread: 0