Shimano 545 spd DH pedals- Mtbr.com
    The Real Blade

Shimano 545 spd DH pedals

Just wondered how many people use this or similar on your FR/DH rigs. I've been swapping pedals between my DJ and FR bikes. The 545's will never go on the DJ but I've ran them on the FR bike. But they weren't on it the last time I crashed. My knee was saved by the pads but I should have been wearing my FF. Didn't get hurt but still think " what if I was clipped in?" Also in air sometimes my feet come off the flat pedals but go right back before landing.

The Real Blade

Piss off

My question must be too stupid to acknowledge. I don't need anyone on this website for anything.Just wondered if people were running these pedals. But really I don't care what you run. Reminds me of a clique. Now I will tell you what **** really means.......
    Cant Understand Normal Thinking.

2010 Glory custom FR
    I've been running SPD (always Shimano or compatible) for... 10-12 years, already.
    Started with XC, of course, then moved more and more towards gravity cycling.
    I have had 2 pairs of SPD 545, same pedals with plastic cage, another pair of SPD DX, Syncros Traverse AM and, finally, recently bought 2011 XTR Trail SPD.
    I have had ca. 5 crashes related to the use of clipless pedals since I started using them for gravity riding. Only one them was serious, but... if I were on flats, I could try to jump of the bike and try to land on my feet. Hard to know if my injuries would be smaller...
    Anyway, once you are used to clipless pedals, you unclip naturally. When you go OTB, your feet just know what to do I even managed to jump other the bar to avoid face planting
    pozdro
    frango

The Real Blade

Thanks for the input

I've had mostly the same experience. It feels good when the feet can't really slip off the pedals. And they don't have to be like a vice. Thanks again. May we never crash.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelblade View Post
    My question must be too stupid to acknowledge. I don't need anyone on this website for anything.Just wondered if people were running these pedals. But really I don't care what you run. Reminds me of a clique. Now I will tell you what **** really means.......
    Cant Understand Normal Thinking.
    bwahahahah They were upgrading the servers, hence no responses.

banned
    I've had mostly the same experience. It feels good when the feet can't really slip off the pedals. And they don't have to be like a vice. Thanks again. May we never crash.
    I tried flats and my feet come right off.

The Real Blade

Response

So I'm a dik sometimes. But I do appreciate the input. Still would like to know what the majority of FR/DH riders prefer for pedal type since there are really only 2 options. Or 3 if the combos are considered.

bike rider
    I'd like to know what the majority of FR/DH riders prefer for pedal type.
    If you look at the crowds riding a resort you'll see way more flats. If you look at a DH race you'll see about an even split of flats and clips, with more clips in the faster classes. If you're just looking to have fun flats are fine. Also, if it's wet and slippery flats are preferred. If you have the balance to corner fast with you feet up and want to find a little more speed in the rough clips can help and they make a bike feel lighter.
    Keep the Country country.

2010 Glory custom FR
    But, if you have been on clipless pedals for a decade and you are too old and lazy to learn to ride form the beginning, clips a fine, too
    pozdro
    frango

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Greg Minnaar rides clipless.
    Sam Hill rides flats.

Both fast. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Internet nerds arent going to be able to tell you what you like better.

I personally like my SPDs for everything but my p1.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I ride clipless for everything except downhill. I did run the 545s for a bit on downhill and loved it but for the tech we have here in Arizona it is nice to step off when needed with flats. Also, riding flats has taught me to pump the bike more and use more of my body when riding dh. If I ran nothing but smooth Cali trails which I also love I would be on clips 100% of the time no doubt.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

----------------
    Aug 2006
    I'll run either flats or clipless depending on where/what I'm riding. If I'm racing, I'll have my Mallets on my bike. If I'm out jumping or riding at a resort, I'll use my Funn Soljam Vipers with 5.10s. Once you get used to running clipless, it's great. But it's also nice to run flats when you're stopping a lot so you don't have to worry about getting clipped back in. It's all personal preference though. Whichever you feel more comfortable with is going to make you a better rider. As far as crashing, I've never had a problem getting out of clipless, it kind of becomes second nature.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Members who have read this thread: 0