Shiggy and others - what tire/rim combo?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Shiggy and others - what tire/rim combo?

Hey all:

Getting a 6-Pack. Weigh 190-200 geared up. Aggressive trail rider regularly dropping up to 6 feet. Live in No. Az and typically ride rocky hardpack with loose on top- generally dry but not always. Thinking Mavic XM321 or Syncros DS28 but feel these may be a bit too light. Also considering UST rim and then option of running tubeless or regular. Tires I'm at a loss - thinking 2.5 front, 2.35 rear. Possibly Kenda BG/Nevegal but hear very slow rolling. Also thinking some Maxxis or maybe a Nokian (rode 2.3 NBX but sidewall not tough enough - need reasonable sidewall because of rocks). Really appreciate some comments. Thanks all!

Glad to Be Alive
    tubeless Mavic 823's with Michelins...still lighter than a tube and smaller tires. Rolls and pedals real nice...make sure you have a GREAT wheel builder or those rims go to the tank.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks SMTs - thought I'd posted this on the "wheels" board but but the more input the better. I see you're from the Simi Valley - I grew up in Thousand Oaks - now in Flagstaff, AZ. Yea, the 823s have also been on my radar - they look good.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by forester
    Thanks SMTs - thought I'd posted this on the "wheels" board but but the more input the better. I see you're from the Simi Valley - I grew up in Thousand Oaks - now in Flagstaff, AZ. Yea, the 823s have also been on my radar - they look good.
    make sure when they build them they use lock tite on the part that screws into the rim and holds the spoke(it is not the nipples). If you don't do this the spokes become loose real fast and bye bye to rim...happened to me. I can't stress this enough...use lock tite
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 12-30-2004 at 01:41 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Appreciate the input SMTs - I'll look at the reviews on this rim again but do you know off the top of your head the width and weight? Also, what'd Mavic call this rim in the past (or is it a new rim)? Thanks man!

hands up who wants to die
    Look at Sun Singletrack rims for something a little tougher/wider than the rims you mentioned. Maybe even the Sun MTX rim.

I don't think the Syncros/smaller Mavics will hold up to 6ft drops.

-r

Members who have read this thread: 0