For Shifters...X7 or X9?- Mtbr.com
    Free Beer...Vlamm!

For Shifters...X7 or X9?

Hi guys,
    I've 12 hours to decide with shifter to get for my DH 2007 setup, so I need your feedback as fast as possible. Please write few words to tell me why you are telling me one instead of the other. Here are the choices : SRAM X7 or X9...on a X9 rear der. By the way, I don't mind to do not get the crapy selection arrow of the X7.

Thanks a lot.
    لσﺡ∂η

InTeNsE RaCeRs ArE NoT DeMo-InG On RaCeS ;)

SuperInstigator
    What shifters do you have? You want to get an RD that will allow for as much shifting quality out of your shifters as possible. For example, you don't want X0 shifters and an X5 RD. The shifters are only as good as the RD.

If you have the money, then go for X9.

I assume you don't need a long cage?...

http://www.icyclesusa.com/catalog/sr...derailleur.htm

655 days, 4 hours, 7 minutes,
    TIMM
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Free Beer...Vlamm!
    I bought a complete buildkit in wich was included a X-9 Short cage rear derailleur (2007), the shifter included was the X7.

I'm wondering to pay the 40CAD difference to get the X9 if if improve the shifting and reduce the maintenance (reliability?)...As well I don't mind to pay the difference I just want to know if it is worth it!

I'm not looking at the X0 as if this stuff break, It will ruin me to replace! :P
    لσﺡ∂η

Meh.
    The 2007 x9 derailleur is a must in my book. They revised the design for 2007, it's more like the x0. The design is much stronger (earlier ones were prone to twisted paralleograms), and they don't develop the pivot slop like the earlier ones did.

The 07 x7 stuff is all rebadged 06 x9. I have the older x9 shifter and don't have a problem with it. The new x9 shifter is pretty slick though.

New project, TBA shortly
    go X.9, especially 2007 if possible. the zero loss travel is INSANE, and the only thing you're giving up over the X.0 is the carbon cap and the adjustable upshift lever.

mtbr member
    I've got '06 X7 stuff on my bike and it seems to work well, so I don't think you can lose with either of your choices because '07 X9 is like the '06 X0 and '07 X7 is like the '06 X9, neither of which I have had.

I would say put in the extra $40 so you've got X9 throughout and be done with it. Shifting will probably be a bit better compared to X7, and overall a bit lighter (it all adds up). If you don't think the extra $40 is worth it then just go with the X7, obviously like me you've never ridden X9 so what you don't know won't hurt you.
    One thing to keep in mind, unless it breaks shifters don't generally tend to wear out any time soon.
    Life's a bi&*h & then you Ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    X9 shifters and X7 der. Works much much better than the x7 shifters/ x9 der.

Why do I get this funny feeling I just typed this a couple days ago?

SuperInstigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick

You did. In a thread I was part of. And you told me that fact and I believe you.

655 days, 2 hours, 46 minutes,
    Tim

Free Beer...Vlamm!
    I've always ridden Shimano Deore/Xt stuff resulting in broken top caps & shifters becoming stiff after a year or so. I hope SRAM will makes things better as I'm really not satisfied with Shimano Stuff.

By the way, I'll be posting pictures of the beast tomorrow... Beautifull M3..Hummm waited 8 months =)

But for now, comments like above will be very appreciated to help me consider the 40$ "investment"?!
    لσﺡ∂η

Free Beer...Vlamm!

Following your idea, I can understand that the X9 Shifters / X7 Der makes a very noticable difference causing the X7 der. to work much better. While the X7 Shifters / X9 Der setup is limited by the use of the X7 shifters?
    لσﺡ∂η

Disco-Superfly
    double x9 (2007)
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    The 2007 x9 derailleur is a must in my book. They revised the design for 2007, it's more like the x0. The design is much stronger (earlier ones were prone to twisted paralleograms), and they don't develop the pivot slop like the earlier ones did.

The 07 x7 stuff is all rebadged 06 x9. I have the older x9 shifter and don't have a problem with it. The new x9 shifter is pretty slick though.
    sums it up nice
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Tibug, whats the countdown for?

SuperInstigator
    Tibug, whats the countdown for?
    You're the first one to notice! Congratulations! You win.......nothing.

In 654 days, 17 hours, 34 minutes, George W. Bush is out of office!
    Tim

Freshly Fujified

Good job! Get the X.9 triggers

For the difference in cost, you get mounting adjustibility, to include some latitude on position of the paddles, and the zero travel loss definitely give you instantaneous, crisp shifting. It is $40 well spent.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Free Beer...Vlamm!
    It's Noted, I'll make this my little gift [To Myself] of the day, going to have it in 2 hours
    Last edited by RiDe66; 04-06-2007 at 05:20 AM.
    لσﺡ∂η

mtbr member
    Oh stop it, this thread makes me want some X9!

Sounds like a good decision, let us know your impressions once it's all set up.

Whenever my drivetrain becomes due for an upgrade I'll be looking at X9. Had the X7 running for a year already with no problems or any major adjustment necessary, and the one time I got chock full of mud it all still performed wonderfully - I was amazed but it was in comparison to an Alivio drivetrain which absolutely sucked (literally too) in the mud.
    Life's a bi&*h & then you Ride!

Free Beer...Vlamm!
    Back with the bikes guys...pic comming as sonn as my camera batt's will be loaded! The bike is totally insane! Go away snow plz!lol
    لσﺡ∂η

Members who have read this thread: 0