Sherman breakout plus - TPC vs Slider- need info.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Sherman breakout plus - TPC vs Slider- need info.

My single crown fork on the 04 Gemini 900 has 7 inches, but I cannot determine why everyone loves this fork! I want to get some feedback on this performance vs the Dual Crown Slider users (with the SPV).

The single crown breakout plus features (good and bad).

1. 1.5 is very stiff...and 7" these are good things
    2. rebound adjustment on this fork goes from fast to faster. The control knob will not allow the rebound to be slowed (this is a bad thing). I know...try heavier oil. But why can't Manitou spec it so it freakin' works?
    3. the knob that allows 170mm to 130mm seems extremely cheap. In fact, when I take drops, the entire fork makes nasty clunking sounds if I hit a rock a certain way, or land a certain way.
    4. it just feels cheap...and does not inspire confidence for freeriding

Sherman Slider with SPV:

1. is it 1.5" or 1 1/8"? I saw it advertised as 1 1/8 online (I thought all shermans were 1.5")
    2. does the rebound adjuster allow for various rebound choices? And is "slower" one that works?
    3. Does SPV help with anything other than fork "bob" when pedaling
    4. Is this just a dual crown version of the breakout plus?

If so...I'm ready to go with the proven Super T....unless someone can tell me why the Sherman's are so great.

Buckle Up
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    My single crown fork on the 04 Gemini 900 has 7 inches, but I cannot determine why everyone loves this fork! I want to get some feedback on this performance vs the Dual Crown Slider users (with the SPV).

The single crown breakout plus features (good and bad).

1. 1.5 is very stiff...and 7" these are good things
    2. rebound adjustment on this fork goes from fast to faster. The control knob will not allow the rebound to be slowed (this is a bad thing). I know...try heavier oil. But why can't Manitou spec it so it freakin' works?
    3. the knob that allows 170mm to 130mm seems extremely cheap. In fact, when I take drops, the entire fork makes nasty clunking sounds if I hit a rock a certain way, or land a certain way.
    4. it just feels cheap...and does not inspire confidence for freeriding

Sherman Slider with SPV:

1. is it 1.5" or 1 1/8"? I saw it advertised as 1 1/8 online (I thought all shermans were 1.5")
    2. does the rebound adjuster allow for various rebound choices? And is "slower" one that works?

If so...I'm ready to go with the proven Super T....unless someone can tell me why the Sherman's are so great.
    The slider plus is a 1 1/8 fork, and is identical to the breakout plus except for dualcrown/steerer and lack of travel adjust. Sorry but I cant help you with any of the SPV questions.
    <><

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    Sherman Slider with SPV:

As the poster above said, the Slider is a 1 1/8" steerer fork. The Sherman Flick and Firefly are also 1 1/8".

I've ridden the Slider + quite a bit, and I set the rebound in the middle and didn't bother to touch it after that. I also have a 03 Slider and again, I set the rebound about the middle and ignore it. It can be set pretty slow on either so perhaps there is a problem with your rebound piston.

The SPV does eliminate a lot of bobbing when pedalling. It also controls the overall compression damping level (more pressure, leads to more damping). If you're bottoming out the fork, but you like the spring rate, you can either put in a bit more pressure, or you can turn in the volume adjuster a turn. Keep in mind the higher pressure in the SPV will reduce the small bump sensitivity somewhat.

The Slider+ essentially is a DC version of the Breakout+, except that it does not have the travel adjust (just 170mm of travel). I find that with the SPV, I can easily tune the fork to match a 5th Element equipped bike very well. The SPV equipped forks do not have the same small bump plushness of a marzocchi fork (even at their lowest pressures), but I find that they offer a much more advanced and tunable damping system.

Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Get The Super T

The Sherman has to be one of the lamest forks out there. Outside of the flock of 18 year old kids who weight 150lbs using them, there isn't much of a following. You ask why? They are crap compared to a Marz and these little kids probably have not idea what a Marz rides like. Let alone the durability a Marz offers. You're definately right, they don't inspire confidence, in fact they instill fear of the damm thing braking. The rebound in these forks is just not there. Their XC forks have nice rebound but they definately went on the cheap side with everything for this fork.

I was riding this weekend with a buddy of mine who is contemplating a move to the Super T also from a Sherman. We both have the 2004 Gemini 900 and laugh at what crap suspension they put on this bike. We were riding along on what is basically a horse trail and all of a sudden I start hearing my fork make noise. We stop and notice there is a rock stuck between the arch and the right stanchion. My stanchion is totally shot.

Find an 03 Super T and call it a day.

mtbr member
    May 2004

stop the misinformation campaign.

'150 lb' teenagers, Doink? hell it was Smoke (north shore veteran) who first recommended the sherman to me for freeride 2 yrs ago (see his pinkbike.com review). Shandro just won that recent FR event (see nsmb.com) on a 7 inch sherman. are you claiming that those guys aren't real freeriders?

freeriderB, sounds like your fork needs some warranty repairs. plenty of TPC+ users with no rebound damping issues.

earlier manitou forks were crap. however the evil genius seals came along, and the improvements in damping (TPC+, and SPV) that enabled the manitou to compete vs. marzocchi. in california anyway i see a lot of FR/DH hi end bikes in the $4k-6k range being built up w/ dorados and shermans. other than the rapid travel adjust in the sherman breaking, i haven't seen or heard of major breakage issues.

also i've noticed a lot of dirt jumpers moving to the shermans.

p.s. after 2 yrs. of use, the bushings and seals in my sherman are still working like new.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Just the Voice of Many

The Sherman is CRAP. Especially compared to a Marzocchi.

Yeah the rebound does work. It works really fast and really super fast. The adjustment range doesn't come close to the range their XC forks have, let alone that of a Marzocchi.

Oh yeah, that 20mm axle is real cool too. I like how they were able to mold it from a budweiser can.

Cynical Bystander
    Dude, people rock all over the place on Shermans. They are definitely a great line of forks. Just because you dont like them doesnt mean that they are absolute crap. Sure, I myself am hooked on Marz for double crown forks (might be getting a slider+ eventually) but I really like the feel of TPC in Shermans. Not to mention that but when on closeout or anything like that they are pretty affordable to those of us who are budget limited.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Some Assembly Required

Most of the events in my area....

have had guys riding Shermans for freeride & dj too. @ 1 event more than 50% of the riders were on Shermans. I was so used to seein' everyone ridin' Zokies, me too. I ride a Sherman + & it ain't no Zokie, for sure, but it ain't so bad I'm gonna trash it get a Super T.
    After loadin' it w/a firm spring, it quit btm-ing out, I'm 170. I like fairly fast rebound to a point & its not too bad for me, but, that's just me. The only reason I got it on my Bullit was they didn't offer the 04 Super T, just the Jr. T. I have to say the Sherman has no where near the pluhiness of a Zokie. But ain't much bobin' when I climb either. & it handles the big hits I can dish out to it so far, which ain't much.

mtbr member
    May 2004

marz 4ever. not

hell i was riding marzocchi forx waaay back in the day. i've probably owned more of them than most people reading this forum. and i consider the 888 a good fork, fer example.

but in a Breakout Plus vs. Zoke Z150 shootout, i'd go for the Breakout Plus hands down. 2 yrs. ago i wouldn't have, cos i still had my "marz. 4ever" prejudice. but now that i've actually lived w/ a manitou that works well, i'm opening my eyes to the other advantages.

my air marzocchi on my XC bike (doesn't get ridden much, but still) has that ECC travel adjust. what a joke. creeps up during the climb.

the Z150 is heavy enough that you should just buy a DC fork instead. And Z150 doesn't have SPV.

and while marzocchi fumbled around for several years with thru axle designs, manitou came up w/ the hex thru axle design.

plushness?? sheeit, my breakout is mega smooove and plush. more than my Z1 was in fact. i'm not saying the manitou is perfect, just saying that marzocchi has not really been innovating enough. in my direct conversations with marzocchi, i got the strong sense that the real reason they were against 1.5 inch SC fork idea was that Manitou came up w/ it first. So there's this weirdass standoff going on that's BS. SPV, travel adjust that works, 1.5 inch burly but reasonably light SC forks for all-around trailriding/freeriding....marzocchi needs to step up. Otherwise i guarantee that Manipoo and Fox will take over. which would suck.