session 88 pro reviews wanted- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

session 88 pro reviews wanted

yo any pros out there given the 88 a good thrashing yet on tough courses? - reviews/ comparisons to the other top makes desired, eg sunday, glory (my Current), 224 etc

mtbr member
    Well McCaul broke his at Rampage casing the 60 footer...
    But I have heard a few guys that have ridden it have said that it feels more like a FR bike than a true DH bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

gnar, brah
    I rode the Session 88 with a Fox 40 on it briefly at Winter Park, on a demo from a buddy who works for Trek. Here are my thoughts on the bike:

-It's fast.

I didn't get enough time on the bike to form a whole lot of opinions, and there were some issues with the setup that could be tuned out. The 40 was really harsh, and needed the low-speed compression dialed in. The Avid Elixir CR brakes were pretty good, but went almost to the bar before delivering any real power. This can be adjusted as well.

As for the bike itself, it felt comfortable instantly, especially through rough sections and in the corners, although I'd like the bottom bracket to be a hair lower, maybe a 1/4". I hear they might address this. It jumps like a downhill bike, ie: not that well but good enough to get by. Keep in mind I was riding the DH race version of the bike. All in all, I'd buy it if I didn't already have a sweet DH rig.
    Trestle Bike Park

Three Wheeler Expert
    I am not a Pro but I did get to ride one in Whislter for a full day.

Rode a line, dirt merchant, frieght train, clown shoes and a few others.

It corners very well. It holds an insane amount of speed through corners, it has the ability to come out of the hole fast! Also jumps pretty good, easy to control in the air. The light weight makes it a blast to ride since it is so flickable. It is smooth through the rought stuff and handles big drop well. The geometry is very comfortable. Not super hard to pedal.

In all, its a great bike that really shines in the corners.
    SEND IT TO THE MOON!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    all i know is that, cosmeticly its a possers bike (its like a mirror) and i dont like the link

but it still seemed fast, going just as fast as me on my patriot (but its more the rider)
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    http://rarme.com/?UwNGi This is a pro review from Dirt Mag.

Glad to Be Alive
    solid bike with solid welds

rode one around the street and it pedals really nice (very smooth and easy)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    are they going to be available frame only? $6k for a complete is absurd

mtbr member
    DH Frame and shock will be sold for $2300 msrp
    Just do it, Faster, Better, Lighter.
    bikekitchen.blogspot.com
    Single Minded

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jager7
    are they going to be available frame only? $6k for a complete is absurd
    I think its gonna be around 5800 complete. Somewhere in that range. Given that a sunday world cup was 6600, a demo 8 II is like 7000, and theres plenty others with similar builds, its pretty reasonable. The frame is still ridiculously pricey, but the complete is pretty normal

Three Wheeler Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    solid bike with solid welds

rode one around the street and it pedals really nice (very smooth and easy)

Some local guy out here right? I saw them at mb2 after they rode g, and I was small talking with him about it.
    SEND IT TO THE MOON!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm not a Pro either,
    but I did take my new Session88 DH lrg. size out for a ride last Sunday for a 1/2 day.
    Just got my Frameset in on Thursday and built it Saturday night. With a couple of midnight curb drops I got out early Sun.am. for a couple of DH runs. The bike does ride like a dream, very smooth, it just wants to rail corners. It's had to say how great the braking is, the stoker aces have major power, surprising since I only used them out in the street. The susp. feels bottomless, jump and air time is effortless. I'll fine tune the fit & rear shock by the weekend and see if I can put some more DH run on her. Looking forward to the next dh race too. Nov. Vail Lake/Fontana?? Maybe I can get some desent pics up too?
    RideOn...........

My Session88 DH build -
    Fox DHX5.0 Coil 550lb., Marz. 888ATA WC w/ intergrated stem, CaneCreek E2 headset inc., 2007 Saint crankset, Shimano DX clipless pedals, Saint 9spd shifter, XT Shadow r.derailier, Hayes Stroker Ace brakesfrt.8"/ rr.7", MRP G2 chainguide,Evil Twin Roller x2.60 frt/rr Tires( AZONIC - Outlaws blk., B52 bars, HD1 seatpost, Duce seat & grips/ changing wheelset/stem to the 2009 Red Anodizes bit asap) Thanks O'NEAL / AZONIC for a great year!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Pic please !!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Did anybody else read that dirt review? it was one of the worst reviews I've ever read.

"nobody needs 10 inch+ of travel"

you're right mr. jones, minnaar, peat, and rennie didn't do real well this year. the v10 is clearly a crappy bike.

the part that got me most was "the m6 and sunday were unanimously taken out of the equation because of poor suspension and geometry" ..... I'm pretty sure the sunday is the benchmark of "good geometry and good suspension" - it doesn't work for everybody, true, but for those it works, it works damn well.

There were more VPP bikes in the top 10 this year then anything else? poor suspension? wtf?

I donno, its tough to take a review seriously when such absurd comments are interspersed in there and are so absurd. crazy

pwn3rator
    i'm just stoked on the full floater rear end, if it rides like any of my suzukis then it is one sick dh rig...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

Members who have read this thread: 0