Session 77 SS- Mtbr.com

Thread: Session 77 SS

dirt rules

Session 77 SS

Scored a Paul Tensioner from my LBS, and with a little tinkering on my lathe for some custom spacers, it's lining up perfectly. 34T up front, and a 17T Chris King cog on the back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That looks fun!

Glad to Be Alive
    looks good Sheldon
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Cool you could make it work but whats the point or use for this bike
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

ChiliPepper1
    Why the hell would you want to do that to a Session 77???? Does not make any since whats so ever.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by huntandride
    Cool you could make it work but whats the point or use for this bike
    seriously? i'm sorry but that's one of the sillyest questions i've ever heard!

Meh.
    Single speed is lighter, simpler, and lots of fun.

Why'd you keep the 11t on there? Not trying to diss or anything, but you could've just grabbed some cassette spacers from the shop. But if you have access to the lathe and some extra time... why not?

Very cool.

dirt rules
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Single speed is lighter, simpler, and lots of fun.
    Why'd you keep the 11t on there? Not trying to diss or anything, but you could've just grabbed some cassette spacers from the shop. But if you have access to the lathe and some extra time... why not?
    Very cool.
    The 11t is the lockring/washer for the spacers. I'm temporarily out of the aluminum stock I've used in the past for spacers, so I just threw it together with what I had laying around.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    old ss trick from the early days. just toss the 11t at a bench grinder and remove the teeth for a cheap and sano splined end cap.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

dirt rules
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    old ss trick from the early days. just toss the 11t at a bench grinder and remove the teeth for a cheap and sano splined end cap.
    Nice one.... I might do that if I can't locate a non-toothed end cap at the bike shop.
    I'll get a spare so I don't ruin the one that goes to my wheel that still has a cassette on it.

Meh.
    You don't need an end cap... I don't use one. My lockring is large enough that it doesn't go through my spacers.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    you can get another 11t ordered up at the lbs. theyre cheap. some even keep a few around after tossin out old cassettes. commin up with a lock ring big enough to secure a standard spacer is not as easy nor as cheap. however it may look more 'finished'. maybe will can guide ya in a good direction.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    you can get another 11t ordered up at the lbs. theyre cheap. some even keep a few around after tossin out old cassettes. commin up with a lock ring big enough to secure a standard spacer is not as easy nor as cheap. however it may look more 'finished'. maybe will can guide ya in a good direction.
    Maybe my spacers just have a nice small ID? Because I think a 11t lockring works fine... and I'm pretty sure I'm using a 12t lockring right now.

Or maybe the spacer on the end has a couple of splines so it sits on the freehub. I know my 12t lockring for sure covers the splines and then some... and I'm fairly certain my 11t lockring is big enough too...

I don't remember.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexJK
    seriously? i'm sorry but that's one of the sillyest questions i've ever heard!
    Maybe I didnt phrase it right but chillipepper did what is the point of single speed on a 77?
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

dirt rules
    Quote Originally Posted by huntandride
    Maybe I didnt phrase it right but chillipepper did what is the point of single speed on a 77?
    No more dérailleur bouncing around.
    No more skipped gears.
    No more chain binding up when rolling fakie.
    Less weight - less chain, less cogs, no shifter, no shift cables.
    Simpler.
    Quieter.

wait...what?
    any full photos?

dirt rules
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaNicco
    any full photos?
    Here's one.

Stay thirsty my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    No more dérailleur bouncing around.
    No more skipped gears.
    No more chain binding up when rolling fakie.
    Less weight - less chain, less cogs, no shifter, no shift cables.
    Simpler.
    Quieter.
    Ummm a spring chain tensioner performs the exact same task a deraileur does and a chain device keeps the chain from dropping off the front ring? With a 1X9 config you are having trouble skipping gears and the chain binding? Sound like you had a bad setup or worn components before this "upgrade".

I don't see the point of a single speed DH bike with a spring chain tensioner and a chain device on the front ring, you have all the negatives of a 1X9 setup and none of the single speed positives which you can't have with FS. Might get you home in a pinch out in the middle of the desert if you ever broke a cassette or something...not sure I would carry all that in a pack though.

Sorry dude, I think most see this as a "FAIL". Nice job fitting it though!
    Good luck and have fun.

dirt rules
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JawChuck
    Ummm a spring chain tensioner performs the exact same task a deraileur does and a chain device keeps the chain from dropping off the front ring? With a 1X9 config you are having trouble skipping gears and the chain binding? Sound like you had a bad setup or worn components before this "upgrade".

I don't see the point of a single speed DH bike with a spring chain tensioner and a chain device on the front ring, you have all the negatives of a 1X9 setup and none of the single speed positives which you can't have with FS. Might get you home in a pinch out in the middle of the desert if you ever broke a cassette or something...not sure I would carry all that in a pack though.

Sorry dude, I think most see this as a "FAIL". Nice job fitting it though!
    Good luck and have fun.
    No, my setup with gears is good, and I actually had very few issues with it. (I'm very picky about maintenance.)
    You can't see the point, because you are either being intentionally obtuse, or you have no imagination. Check the replies again, I think the verdict is quite the opposite of what you have claimed.
    Last edited by sittingduck; 11-17-2009 at 07:20 PM.

can't get here by wishin

i like it

i think that's a cool set up sheldon...it's not like you're doin' 10 mile hill climbs on the thing... you usually just point 'er down and off stuff anyways

dirt rules
    Yep, I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but for where and what I ride, it's going to be fun, fun, fun!

Stay thirsty my friends
    Well actually many of the responses you are getting is of the same opinion as mine. I can't think of a single situation where I left my trans in one gear for the length of any DH, just the opposite actually. Go ahead and do what you want but there is a reason why there no single speed DH bikes on the market but it sounds like your doing more freeride stuff anyway...have fun.

Nothing wrong with single speeds per se, I ran my hardtail that way commuting a few years ago. I actually encourage experimentation...but having experienced riding SS for a long time I can see you switching back soon. Those spring loaded tensioners add the same amount of drag as a derailleur and unless you ride a frame designed for single speed you won't realize the advantages of SS. Low drag, less maintenance, no need for a chain device etc. etc. etc.

Personally I think you would be happier with a solid strut and toss the tensioner/chain device...but then you would just have a heavy hardtail. Perhaps you would prefer a dirt jump bike in SS, sure would be lighter and more enjoyable with still lots of travel up front...thats why they make them.

Don't get all defensive, its only a comment from someone who has been there and done that...besides it's a reason to buy another frame and build a hardtail SS freeride bike and keep your FS bike ready for the real stuff. Who doesn't like that?

dirt rules
    I get it, you don't think single speed on a full suspension bike is practical. For you. For me, I think it will be. But then I probably aren't you, am I?

I have hardtails too. Several of them. If I build another freeride bike it will be a shorter travel fully, along the lines of a Norco Empire, or a Corsair Konig. And I'll convert THAT to single speed too! wo0t!

Meh.
    I'm pretty sure sittingduck has a SS DJ hardtail.

There have been a few guys on this forum that turned their DH rig to SS.

Using your logic... yes, I have run gears before on my commuter... and I rarely left it in one gear for the entire commute... and I still ended up going SS.

There were two other posters with a curious or negative response... I wouldn't call that "many."

There sure is a lot of hate on the mtbr forums these days...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i ride a DH hardtail and it's a singlespeed... i will never go back! i hated gears, and i figured since that i NEVER changed gears, i would go singlespeed. it's way better.

Who changes gears while blasting down a mountain anyway? i know i don't, not even for the climbs on the way to school (yeah, i ride it to school too).

Gears are for pu$$ies! at least in my area

EastBaySteez
    I dig it.

When I re-build the DHR or pick up another bike it will be converted to single speed.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

CAPTIN HARDCORE
    I like the setup!

I had an older FS bike setup like this that I used for more street/ ramp riding and it worked great! Never dropped a chain! I would like to do this to my bike since I will going to Rays a lot this winter.

With my current bike (Reign X1) my chain seems to want to change gears after landing backwards when doing 180s which makes it hard to fakie back out, so a SS setup would be something to try. I think this is due to the flex of the rear end.....

However, if I were to do more DH/ XC stuff then I would leave the gears on for climbing.
    [B]Chillin...Riding I hopeB]

It's a love/ hate thing
    nice Sheldon! Our buddy Max in Portland has a Konig set up as a SS single speed. Don't remember if you met him at Black Rock or not- I think you would like it. He ripped it in Knappa when his V10 was out of commission.

It is nice to have one less thing to maintain for sure. Would love a SS slopestyle bike at some point.

dirt rules
    I remember seeing Damien and his buddy both riding SS Konigs, but I don't recall anyone with you guys on one. Something like the Konig with a concentric BB would be ideal....

Members who have read this thread: 0