Sensus grips?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Sensus grips?

mtbr member

Sensus grips?

I know that a lot of rad super gnar Rampage, DH, and slopestyle people are using Sensus grips. I'm more interested in opinions from more mortal riders. Durability? Comfort? lock-on vs traditional? Compared to ODI?
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    I have the lock-on Sensus grips. I like them. comfortable, lots of grip traction.
    the larger inboard flange might annoy some riders.
    I don't know what the differences are from the ODI mushrooms, maybe the Sensus are a smaller diameter.

Moose Member
    I'm very biased seeing that I've gotten most of my grips for free, but having tried a few other grips since going full swayze, I have no desire to change. I have a pair of slide ons on my DJ, and lock ons on my slope and DH bikes. The lock ons are way better IMO, but the slide on's I've run on 3 bikes over 2 years and they're still going strong. They are going to need to be changed soon because the waves are starting to wear off, but they're still plenty grippy. The lock ons on my DH have only seen about a season but still look brand new, and the lock ons on my slope bike have the flanges cut (I prefer flanges and the douche that stole my Slayer SS cut them) and they still run great. I have 2 spare sets of slide ons, but the purple looks so prime on my DJ.

According to Zink, he runs 1 set of slide ons on all his bikes for a full year. One set of slide ons are durable enough to last him a year, and I find the lock ons to be even more durable. Martin Soderstrom posted a pic a while back of this grips from the 2012 season. He said it was the most riding days he'd ever had in a year, and he only used 1 set per bike. I think they are plenty durable.

Comfort wise, I used to only ride with gloves, but I find that bare hand feels great on swayzes. There's plenty of squish, and plenty of grip. My favorite aspect of them is their size. I've never seen such wide grips before. I love it. I feel like my hand has plenty of space on the grip, and it's nice a roomy. I don't like a cramped grip with barely enough space for my hand. Swayze's are like runways for your hand. I can't recommend them enough.

Here's the cut v uncut flanges on my Slope and DH

Sensus grips?-011.jpg

Sensus grips?-014.jpg

mtbr member
    do the wavy patterns make the grip feel a bit less precise than other patterns? My sister in law's bike came with some stock grips that looked like the Sensus pattern (just a cheap knock off) and they were the most gushy, imprecise things ever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    do the wavy patterns make the grip feel a bit less precise than other patterns? My sister in law's bike came with some stock grips that looked like the Sensus pattern (just a cheap knock off) and they were the most gushy, imprecise things ever.
    Both the Sensus lock-ons and slide-ons are top notch. I've run them all, including the new Lacondeguy signature model, and the feel and durability are excellent.

Give 'em a try. You won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What do you mean by "imprecise" in relation to a grip?

mtbr member
    I mean that the grip gushes around in your hand, giving you a bit of a disconnected feel. If you've ever tried the ODI Ruffians, those are the antithesis of imprecise. There is very little rubber over the plastic core, so they feel very connected to the bars. I love that feeling, but they do feel very harsh after a long ride. That's why I was wondering if Sensus grips (reportedly a softer rubber) might give a bit more vibration damping but without losing that 'connected' to the bike feel.

mtbr member
    I know what you mean with the cheapo mushroom grip types
    The Sensus Swayzes are not like that at all..
    I guess the ribs/fins are not as big. And, the rubber is better..
    They are worth a try.

meow meow
    what is the diameter like? my sram grips are pretty much slicks now.