See ya later Champ...- Mtbr.com
    Moose Member

See ya later Champ...

Got it off and now i'm just looking for a box. anyone know if wal-mart or any local places like that would have good boxes?

once i get a box how should i pack it in there? Packing peanuts or wrap it in towels? I should probably write fragile on the side too just in cash

I am looking for a new fork and am curious, whats the difference with all the boxxers? race, world cup, everything like that. I dont need the best fork on the market, just something realiable and low maintenence.

Best offer so far was from a guy who said "I'll give you the fork and throw in the cartridge sleeve so you can make it your own "works", and give you the direct mount stem for $400. This fork has been service continuously by non other than Ronnie at Marzocchi (he is the top mechanic there and knows me personally I drive my forks to him e/season for maintenance). The lowers are new with new oil, bushings, seals, blah, blah, blah. My back up fork for a few years."

because im stupid when it comes to hubs and spacing he threw this in "a wheel with a 20mm Marzocchi hub laced to a Mavic hoop. The fork lowers are new man and so it has new oil, bushings. seals, etc. The stanchions are not dent nor do they have any structural damages, they are buttery smooth and ride like hot knives on butter. Seriously. And the fork comes with the axle, just in case you are wondering, so you're ready to go."

last time i checked hot knives on butter slide REALLY WELL!

sounds like with this deal im ready to go. If theres no serious objections i'm taking this offer.
    btw now that my champ is off im kinda sad to see it go...
    Last edited by Moosey; 12-09-2010 at 04:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Protect the exposed parts of the fork from scratches, and then make sure once its in the box its doesn't move too much as to not get any dents during travel shouldn't be too big of a deal.

The Boxxer coil and air spring if I remember correctly, just check the rockshox site: http://www.sram.com/rockshox

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    sorry if I missed it, but what kind of fork are you getting to replace your old one with?

the test dummy
    dont forget to take the bearing race off, a friend of mine did that and turned in to a night mare to find a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by insanitylevel9
    dont forget to take the bearing race off, a friend of mine did that and turned in to a night mare to find a new one.
    I'm what is that?

the test dummy
    the big circle thing on the bottom of the steer tube were the bearings ride. you take it off and put it on your new fork.
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Moose Member
    I'm not sure my champ has one. I'll double check. Thanks for the info. Any word on 04 888s?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey
    I'm what is that?
    See the silver thing on the fork?

the test dummy
    I'm not sure my champ has one. I'll double check. Thanks for the info. Any word on 04 888s?
    it will its part of the head set this will explain better
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...eadset-service
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

For The Win
    Your fork does have one, you'd have a wobbly ride without it.
    Slow is cool too, right?

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by juanbeegas
    See the silver thing on the fork?

thats better then my link
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    04 888's are a good fork.

Moose Member
    Yea I found it. Thanks for lettin me know or I woulda shipped it off. So looks like I'm gettin the 888 once my champs gone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    your paying 400 bucks for a 04' 888 ???

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    rofl, I sold my 08 boxxer wc for 400, and bought a 09 40rc2 for 400

mtbr member
    Moosey, look around a bit and stop looking for people selling items and "dropping names" in the process.

In just 2 minutes I found a 05 888 for $200, and an 08 888 for $500 plenty of Boxxers in that price range as well as a few fox 40's. Saw a 2009 Boxxer WC for $400.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

turbo
    Oct 2010
    I picked up my 05 888 for 180

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Again you can buy a new '10 Boxxer for around 800, so would be good that anything used be below this price range by a significant amount, but looking at the other prices looks like any where below 400 (for something relatively recent) would be a good maximum price, but lower considering how old you are looking to buy.

Just to make it clearer: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...c+Fork+10.aspx

Moose Member
    alright. point taken. i will keep looking. sounded like a good deal and wasnt sure. thanks for the help everyone.

Moose Member
    ok, last question before this thread dies, how do i get the bearing race off? it seems like its glued down, and i want to make sure i know what im doing before i go yanking things off with pliers... last time i charged my nike with pliers i broke the rear shock =\

the test dummy
    tap it off with a hammer
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    It's not glued on - it's a press fit.
    If you are careful, you can tap it off with a screw driver and hammer. Search you tube, I know there is a video demo'ing how to do it.

A piece of PVC is usually all that is needed to install it back on your new fork when you get it (video for that pit there as well).

Here ya go.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XAYYtAhAxS0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XAYYtAhAxS0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

Moose Member
    Ok I'm good thanks everyone...

Glad to Be Alive

because im stupid when it comes to hubs and spacing he threw this in "a wheel with a 20mm Marzocchi hub laced to a Mavic hoop. The fork lowers are new man and so it has new oil, bushings. seals, etc. The stanchions are not dent nor do they have any structural damages, they are buttery smooth and ride like hot knives on butter. Seriously. And the fork comes with the axle, just in case you are wondering, so you're ready to go."

this is what people don't realize...they are looking for the cheapest deal but the cheapest deal like 888 for 200 bucks are beat up...is it worth it to buy an 200 dollar fork that needs to be rebuilt, maybe some scratched stanctions or a worn cartridge that will cost more then a fork that is in perfect condition

I have personal knowledge of the 400 dollar 888 and it is like bran new....been ran through complete and has always been serviced...that is how we roll around here being 20 minutes away from the Marz factory...we get our forks serviced 4 times a year

mtbr member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    this is what people don't realize...they are looking for the cheapest deal but the cheapest deal like 888 for 200 bucks are beat up...is it worth it to buy an 200 dollar fork that needs to be rebuilt, maybe some scratched stanctions or a worn cartridge that will cost more then a fork that is in perfect condition

I have personal knowledge of the 400 dollar 888 and it is like bran new....been ran through complete and has always been serviced...that is how we roll around here being 20 minutes away from the Marz factory...we get our forks serviced 4 times a year
    Well said Shiver me timbers.

Moosey, I respect and can't blame you for asking peeps here what their opinions are about the offer you had. But all you are going to get here are opinions, which are like a** holes because they all stink.

What causes a seller to put an item for sale for such a low price $200 and other for a higher price $400?

Well, there are such things in business as pricing strategies, which are going to be driven by volume of sales and ultimately by the profit margin seller wants to achieve over the cost of the "item".

Fortunately things are more simpler here, because most prices on "used" bike parts are gonna be determined by the conditions of the parts, the brand of such part, and the resale value of the part based on its history (04' 888 changed the freeride/DH scene since their introduction; revolutionized our thinking of how much punch you could deliver in a small package).

The most significant part of this tho is your willingness to pay, period. Worthiness is determined by the buyer and not the seller.

I encourage you to find a deal that is WORTHY to you in which you can find a stem, a laced hub/wheel, and a fork in great conditions with paperwork to back it up.

Good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0