Sea Otter DH- Mtbr.com

Thread: Sea Otter DH

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sea Otter DH

With the classes being split for practice last year, were the lines much better? How long were the waits for practice? With only 3 hours for practice, how many runs could a zealous racer get in?

What was the course like? I hear the top was the same from the previous 2 years, but the bottom omitted to gap jump and had some off-camber section?

Bottom line: Was it fun?

Broken and dizzy
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch
    With the classes being split for practice last year, were the lines much better? How long were the waits for practice? With only 3 hours for practice, how many runs could a zealous racer get in?

What was the course like? I hear the top was the same from the previous 2 years, but the bottom omitted to gap jump and had some off-camber section?

Bottom line: Was it fun?
    Good questions. Thinking about entering this year. Anybody have input?

Absurd
    I've never raced it, but I hung out and watched last year. I walked pretty much the whole course and judging by what I saw, you probably would'nt need more than 1 practice run if any at all. Check out their discription of the DH on the Sea Otter website, the part where it says something like..." The sea otter DH delivers fun not fractures" or something. Their not joking, it aint gonna be the most challenging track you've ever rode. There was a couple of beat up looking jumps, most guys were just rolling them though. That was on Sat. for the amatures, Sunday for the pros might be more exciting.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    lines any shorter? not really!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Broken and dizzy
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian

I think I might pass after seeing that herd.....moooooooooooo!

Absurd
    Holy [email protected]#T!! I guess I got there later in the morning...or was there before the line got that backed up. Was that on Saturday of last year?

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    can't remember...anyway I ain't racing DH that's for sho!

style, flow...RIDE!!
    Jan 2004

Last the lines were huge like in Acadian's pic, a racer could get in maybe two practice runs in an afternoon if he hurried. Usually a 45 min wait at the top and half an hour to get back on the truck and back up. It was insane.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by DH'er16
    Last the lines were huge like in Acadian's pic, a racer could get in maybe two practice runs in an afternoon if he hurried. Usually a 45 min wait at the top and half an hour to get back on the truck and back up. It was insane.

here's my secret.......shhh.....

try and sneak on the course during off practice hours or during twilight/near dark hours
    if you're real hardcore you'll mount a few lights on your bike and head out there at midnight

a more realistic option is to get out there at sunrise and try to get on before anyone else. ask if you can help prepare the course, i.e., walk it to make sure it's still in race condition, help out with the gate, timing system, etc.

if you put some effort into it, you'll be able to get plenty of practice. it sure ain't no northstar or mammoth mountain though! no "get off the lift and ride" here!

style, flow...RIDE!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry

if you put some effort into it, you'll be able to get plenty of practice. it sure ain't no northstar or mammoth mountain though! no "get off the lift and ride" here!
    ScaryJerry is right, you shouldn't come to this race thinking its gonna be like some huge resort with a chairlift and a sick, long downhill run. The Sea otter is a fun, easy season opener for sure though!

VIA
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DH'er16
    ScaryJerry is right, you shouldn't come to this race thinking its gonna be like some huge resort with a chairlift and a sick, long downhill run. The Sea otter is a fun, easy season opener for sure though!
    No even the line for the last race of F1 in Indy last year was that long...

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry
    here's my secret.......shhh.....

try and sneak on the course during off practice hours or during twilight/near dark hours
    if you're real hardcore you'll mount a few lights on your bike and head out there at midnight

a more realistic option is to get out there at sunrise and try to get on before anyone else. ask if you can help prepare the course, i.e., walk it to make sure it's still in race condition, help out with the gate, timing system, etc.

just don't get caught on the course when you are not supposed to...they will take your # plate away and suspend you from racing. I've seen it done!

mtbr member

Raced last year...

Usually have two full practice days (Thurs-Fri) but last year included Wed. Wed-Thurs lines were short, got in two runs an hour. What took the longest was waiting for the shuttle. I saw guys with their girls (or other way around) taking turns shuttling. They got in at least 4 runs an hour.

Not too hard of a course. Top is very BMX. Middle, steep sandy chicane into berm and 4 ft drop off. Then a tiny rock garden to some pavement. From here, it kinda sucks...to an off camber then a pedalfest with some jumps, drops to the finish.

They added at least a 1/2 mile to the course from 2002 but that additional had nearly no vert to it. Total pedalling last half of the course. Consider your DS bike.

Good luck!

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    just don't get caught on the course when you are not supposed to...they will take your # plate away and suspend you from racing. I've seen it done!

who said i had a plate number and was racing?

www.sirbikealotracing.com
    I've raced there the last few years

all i have to say is upgrade to pro or semi pro asap

i'm so glad i didn't have to wait in those hideous lines for a long fairly boring pedaling course

besides you go to sea otter for the atmosphere, not the DH racing

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    anybody camping in the grassy knoll this year? that's where the party's at!!!