Scream/5TH Element Bottoming Problems??!?- Mtbr.com
    Yo Paseo El Scream

Scream/5TH Element Bottoming Problems??!?

My rear suspension keeps on bottoming,on small things, like 8 feet to wood, and im landing fine, also on stairs. Everytime i bottom, the seat hits the rear linkage and it chips away at the frame and paint. This is pissing me off pretty badly, my rear shock has 150psi, thats the max(5th element) i also have it at 6inches on my scream, which is the stiffest position, and i know that it seems like it's bottoming because i have it at 6, but at 8 it was just so plush and bottomed even more. I also have my spring preload tightened all the way. Anybody have this problem or know what i can do?
    Banshee Bikes
    Honorary Member Of The 200 Club
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    ..."if i can jump it on my feet whilst running as fast as i can, then it aint worth jumping on a bike"...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeHucker
    My rear suspension keeps on bottoming,on small things, like 8 feet to wood, and im landing fine, also on stairs. Everytime i bottom, the seat hits the rear linkage and it chips away at the frame and paint. This is pissing me off pretty badly, my rear shock has 150psi, thats the max(5th element) i also have it at 6inches on my scream, which is the stiffest position, and i know that it seems like it's bottoming because i have it at 6, but at 8 it was just so plush and bottomed even more. I also have my spring preload tightened all the way. Anybody have this problem or know what i can do?

1. Dial in the air chamber (blue, 16mm nut) This will make the shock more progressive and ramp up as it compresses. Make 1/2 adjustments at this and make sure you do not turn it in too far.

2. Dial in the end stroke compression screw. This will make the shock more resistant to bottom out. Again, 1/2 turn increments.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    1. Dial in the air chamber (blue, 16mm nut) This will make the shock more progressive and ramp up as it compresses. Make 1/2 adjustments at this and make sure you do not turn it in too far.

2. Dial in the end stroke compression screw. This will make the shock more resistant to bottom out. Again, 1/2 turn increments.
    but like zank suggested, all this doesnt matter if your coil is too soft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Yo Paseo El Scream
    well i way 140 and i have a 500 spring
    Banshee Bikes
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

..."if i can jump it on my feet whilst running as fast as i can, then it aint worth jumping on a bike"...

Born to Ride
    No parts should hit on the frame, i think your linkage plates are hitting your seatpost clamp. Take your shock off and move the frame through its travel, make sure your linkage is not hitting your seatpost clamp, screams have a problem with this since there is such a small area between the clamp and the linkage plates when the suspension is compressed. I had to change to a non quik-release on mine.

Glad to Be Alive
    more aIR
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    you have to have your seatpost clamp backwards on the screams, i got a scream and did the same thing bashed the **** out of it occasionally on the seat clamp and nicked up the frame, turn it backwards so the meat of it are towards the front of your bike, and your only 140 pounds you shouldn't require a stiffer spring i'd think try to dial it in like the dude above said, also your shock coil itself should not be tightened any farther than 2 full turns after it loses it's play, if u just crank it up your spring will actually blow apart when bottomed hard enough.
    one more thing. if i'm not mistaken i dont think you are supposed to be using a 8 inch stroke shock on the 6 inch setting on the banshee as well ? I maybe wrong but i dont think i am ;p i'm 185 pounds have a 500 pound fox rc on my banshee and it rarely bottoms and never ever will it bottom bad enough to hit the frame. oh something else just came to me ;p it might be hitting the frame do the the travel setting you have it placed in ? bike is to far away but by placing it in the 6 inch setting does it not lower your bb and actually reduce the space between your swing arm and frame ? probably just enough to smash when u bottom.

Yo Paseo El Scream
    it's the seat rails that hit it though
    Banshee Bikes
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    yeah what ak rida said. you are only supposed to run a 2.25 inch stroke shock in the high (long travel position) as far as I know.