Scam Warning- Mtbr.com

Thread: Scam Warning

Glad to Be Alive

Scam Warning

This is a very important issue of Scam Busters because it alerts you to a scam that is spreading *extremely* quickly, can easily cost you $2400 or more, and is difficult to avoid unless you are aware of it.

We'd like to thank Verizon for bringing this scam to our attention.
    This scam has also been identified by the National Fraud Information Center and is costing victims a lots of money.

There are lots of different permutations of this scam.

HERE'S HOW IT WORKS:

You will receive a message on your answering machine or your pager, which asks you to call a number beginning with area code 809. The reason you're asked to call varies. It can be to receive information about a family member who has been ill, to tell you someone has-been arrested, died, to let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc In each case, you are told to call the 809 number right away. Since there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return these calls.

If you call from the US, you will apparently be charged $2425 per-minute.
    Or, you'll get a long recorded message. The point is, they will try to keep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges. Unfortunately, when you get your phone bill, you'll often be charged more than $24,100.00.

WHY IT WORKS:
    The 809 area code is located in the British Virgin Islands (The Bahamas).
    The 809 area code can be used as a "pay-per-call" number, similar to 900 numbers in the US. Since 809 is not in the US, it is not covered by U.S. regulations of 900 numbers, which require that you be notified and warned of charges and rates involved when you call a pay-per-call" number.

There is also no requirement that the company provide a time period during which you may terminate the call without being charged. Further, whereas many U.S. homes that have 900 number blocking to avoid these kinds of charges, do not work in preventing calls to the 809 area code.

We recommend that no matter how you get the message, if you are asked to call a number with an 809 area code that you don't recognize, just disregard the message.

Be wary of e-mail, or calls, asking you to call an 809 area code number. It's important to prevent becoming a victim of this scam, since trying to fight the charges afterwards can become a real nightmare. That's because you did actually make the call. If you complain, both your local phone company and your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will most likely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreign company. You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have done nothing wrong.

Please forward this entire message to your friends, family and colleagues to help them become aware of this scam

Sandi Van Handel
    AT&T Field Service Manager
    (920)687-904
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Disco-Superfly
    Thats insane... thanks for the heads up...
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

pwn3rator
    thank yo bobber ("we call 'im bobber 'cause he's round like a fishing bobber" - james prosek)...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

kona-tize me captain
    thanks for the update SMT my rents would kill me if they saw that on my cell phone bill. ill pass it on. the other day i got a 412 area code number which i did not return i hate random numbers that appear.
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    this has been around for years. here's some more info.

banned
    That would suck.

Riding with...
    does anybody have an 809 number i can have to give this pecka head at school as my cell number?? grrr..want him to die.

that would be a good prank too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Isn't the proper etiquette on this forum to wait until he posts a picture of himself dropping it, and then spend 70 posts arguing about how big it is? I mean, let's not jump the gun, without a pic of his bike in the air, we can't have photoshopped triagulations and geometrical equations showing why it's really 2 feet and not 22 feet.
    "Quick, pass the bike up again so i can hit it before it starts to hurt!!"

AIM: Haroracer842

fungus amongus
    dag thats a hefty price..thanks man
    don't do anything else but ride bicycles..I'm a very complex individual

not so super...
    http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/809.asp

confirmed on Snopes - however the $$ isn't as high as stated.
    Nothing to see here.

ride hard take risks
    Thanx for the heads up SMT no i have to inform my kids because they always call #'s back .

No longer riding a haro!
    Aug 2004
    What if when they call you pick up the phone? Will you still be billed?
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much space.

Never worng!
    Quote Originally Posted by haromtnbiker
    Jeez I hope not!
    Cause then I'll never ever answer the phone when it rings.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by haromtnbiker
    nope, in long distance calling the one making the call is billed...
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Members who have read this thread: 0