SC V10 air shock?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

SC V10 air shock?

dou you think a air shock will work fine in a sc V10?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    looks like bobs bike only a V-10 instead of an m-3

Disco-Superfly
    I like your bike.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    mmmmm trans red v10 thats such a nice bike, sorry just had to say that

clyde in training
    try the shock and see what you think, a dhx air seems like it would work fine

Equal opportunity meanie
    It does.

Premium Member
    I wouldn't do it. The V10 has a really high leverage rate. An air shock isn't really designed to take those loads and because of the rate it'll feel nowhere near as good as a coil.

kona-tize me captain
    first off sick lookign bike, i could only have it in dreams. i dont think a air shock would be good for that much travel. larger travel shocks tend to heat up more since they have such hgigh leverage ratios. i mena maybe push could trick it out for you and maybe thta could work? i dunno im not familiar weith air shocks
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    first off sick lookign bike, i could only have it in dreams. i dont think a air shock would be good for that much travel. larger travel shocks tend to heat up more since they have such hgigh leverage ratios. i mena maybe push could trick it out for you and maybe thta could work? i dunno im not familiar weith air shocks
    PUSH will NOT be working on the DHX Airs. They don't want to deal with the "dead feeling" midstroke.

Road/XC/Freeride
    If you're trying to save some weight there are other things I'd do first that will be more effective. Not sure what rims/tyres you have but that's the place to start!

Carbon seatpost (wouldn't recommend bars unless you're really desperate).

You're probably pretty attached to those forks (love em btw.) but thought about a Fox 40/ Boxxer WC/ 888RC2X WC?

I think I'd rather go for a light coil (read: ti) but if you go with air and it works out for you, awesome!
    I'm on the Twitter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've seen a few 10's with air shocks mounted, all swinger airs for some reason. The riders all claimed they feel great. the begining stroke will feel perfect with an ait shock, depsite what peeps say.

Premium Member
    The issue isn't the beginning stroke with an air shock. It's the wallow-y dead feeling mid stroke.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Why is your rear caliper hanging there?
    pUt Da LiMe In Da CoKe YoU nUt

kona-tize me captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Raghavan
    new racing technique make, gets rid of brake jack. hence the flaoting caliper term

duhh get with it
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist
    The issue isn't the beginning stroke with an air shock. It's the wallow-y dead feeling mid stroke.
    Well he's using a 5th on there now, which to my owning experience feels kind of dead?
    I like it for some reason....
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

mtbr member
    Air shocks on DH bikes are no good. They heat up really fast which willl change yuor spring rate. Get a Ti spring on there and it will be light enough.
    There are some people that claim air shocks work great on a DH bike but they are not looking at the whole picture or have only ridden on one in a parking lot or on really short DH runs.

Disco-Superfly
    Its a new way to measure sag. You hang your caliper from your bike a couple inches from the ground, and sit on your bike, when the caliper touches the ground is how far your bike sagged.....
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Call either santa cruz or fox, they'll give you a definite answer and you wont need to worry about breaking warranty/a $500 shock/any body parts.

Glad to Be Alive
    very nice looking bike.....only buy the air shock if you are going to race the bike.....and only use it for racing.......local trails jumping and such.....use a coil over shock....will feel better and last longer
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oneoldman
    Call either santa cruz or fox, they'll give you a definite answer and you wont need to worry about breaking warranty/a $500 shock/any body parts.
    Good Call! Also a thought... A lot of people dismiss air shocks on DH bikes, why then do companies make air shocks in the sizes like 9.5"X3" at all? On a bike that nice (and especially if you race) getting another shock to actually try out is a pretty good idea. Worst case scenario is you hate it, and take a beating selling online. Another option is to keep it as a back up in case your current shock ever fails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    use a coil over shock....will feel better and last longer
    In my experience, if properly maintained, air shocks last just as long as coils. I think what you meant was that they do require more minor maintenance, right?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by C24C
    In my experience, if properly maintained, air shocks last just as long as coils. I think what you meant was that they do require more minor maintenance, right?

yes, but the coil is a plusher ride
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    the reason is i haven┤t got the rigth postmount adaptor yet.....

well, too is valid to measure the rigth sag

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    As i can see is not a good idea a air shock to my V10....

I do a more light front wheel , by using tubeless system, an a more light tubeless rim.....

thank you everybody

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, I'll let you know in a few weeks on the air shock. I'll be running the Manitou 4-way air on my V10 as soon as my rear hub is back in action.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've been running a Swinger 4way air on mine for a couple months with no problems. I think it has a livelier feel than a coil. I was running a DHX and didn't like it as well as the Swinger. To each thier own I'm sure, I've always been a fan of air way back since my old Mag 21SLTi. The high leverage on the V10 at first gets past the stiction, the rest is nice and smooth, and I've never had a harsh bottom, feels more bottomless to me.
    Nate

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuckfut
    I've been running a Swinger 4way air on mine for a couple months with no problems. I think it has a livelier feel than a coil. I was running a DHX and didn't like it as well as the Swinger. To each thier own I'm sure, I've always been a fan of air way back since my old Mag 21SLTi. The high leverage on the V10 at first gets past the stiction, the rest is nice and smooth, and I've never had a harsh bottom, feels more bottomless to me.
    Nate
    hi

Could you put a pic of your air V10?┐

thanks

My arm hurts a little
    I have no clue, why not. But I really like your bike. I'm kind of pissed SC took the Trans-Red off their 07 line. I wanted to match SMT , but now I think I going with the gangreen.
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Air shocks can actually work very well on vpp designs. For a while guys have been running 4 way airs on v-10s including a manitou employee in europe who was featured in DIRT quite a while back and he also had his custom air dorado up front.. Anyways, due to the varying leverage throughout the stroke it could work quite well, the high leverage at the beginning of the stroke helps to erase any feeling of stiction. As long as the air can is decently sized the heating up problem won't be noticeable for most riders. The manitou employee was using the longest stroke 4 way air for around 9 inches of travel but with the large volume, non spv, very adjustable ISX series from manitou, there is another great option coming out. I'd give it a shot unless money is quite tight.

Members who have read this thread: 0