Saying goodbye to my Bullit- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit71
    Guys,

The Bullit is outta here. I just got back from N*, and my body still aches from the brake jack. Not only that, but I've been trying to work on my cornering, and although I've improved, my XL Bullit has a center of gravity that's so high that it handles like an SUV IMO. I like the Bullit, and would recommend the bike to anyone, but I think my skills have outgrown the SP, high bb design. Sure it is great when you stay off the brakes and want to huck the sh!t outta anything in sight. The frame is unbreakable. But it corners terrible, and I don't care what anyone says, the suspension isn't very good when you are braking hard going through super tough N* terrain. Go ahead and give me sh1t about braking during rough sections, and perhaps I should lay off, but if you have ever tried flying around N* trails w/o braking, then props to you. The average guy can't.

I live in the Bay Area, so that's why I keep bringing up N* and NorCal riding. I think the Bighit would be much better bike for me IMO.

Seeya Bullit...sniff.
    I too have an XL Bullit that I take to Northstar on the weekends. I ride w/ a guy that has a large Big Hit. Hopefully he will replace his 5" SC fork w/ a DC & I can take it for a comparison spin. I do have an Enduro trail bike that handles much better than the Bullit possibly due to the lower BB and active rear suspension. Like you mentioned the Bullit shines on drops .

Another festivus MIRACLE!

Saying goodbye to my Bullit

Guys,

The Bullit is outta here. I just got back from N*, and my body still aches from the brake jack. Not only that, but I've been trying to work on my cornering, and although I've improved, my XL Bullit has a center of gravity that's so high that it handles like an SUV IMO. I like the Bullit, and would recommend the bike to anyone, but I think my skills have outgrown the SP, high bb design. Sure it is great when you stay off the brakes and want to huck the sh!t outta anything in sight. The frame is unbreakable. But it corners terrible, and I don't care what anyone says, the suspension isn't very good when you are braking hard going through super tough N* terrain. Go ahead and give me sh1t about braking during rough sections, and perhaps I should lay off, but if you have ever tried flying around N* trails w/o braking, then props to you. The average guy can't.

I live in the Bay Area, so that's why I keep bringing up N* and NorCal riding. I think the Bighit would be much better bike for me IMO.

Seeya Bullit...sniff.

mtbr member
    Buy a used M1 and get a real DH bike. If you live in Nor Cal you may be able to buy demo bikes from Vision cycles in SF..

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    High BB + short wheelbase = no good for downhill. It puts your center of gravity too high, so when you brake at speed, your weight shifts forward too much. It also makes it tougher to keep your weight balanced when railing turns. The single pivot doesn't really have anything to do with your problems.

What I did with my Weyless 67 (very similar geometry, same issues) is to put it in 7" rear travel (you get a choice of 6" or 7"), and then drop it about an inch into its travel by unscrewing the spring preload a few turns. This lowers the BB about 1/2 inch, slacks the headtube about a degree, and makes me feel a lot less like I'm going to endo over every bump. It totally changes the handling for the better.

Disadvantage is that every time I get on the bike, the spring goes "krunch" as it reseats on the preload collar. I've got drawings for a new set of dropout plates that move the rear wheel up and back, which will extend the wheelbase in addition to dropping the BB, but I haven't had them fabricated yet.

no big deal
    Guys,

Seeya Bullit...sniff.
    I knew when, and if, the day came that I had to get rid of my Bullit that it was going to be tough. Then some worthless [email protected][email protected] stole it, I mourned for about a month until my insurance check came and it was replaced with a brand spankin' new v10. The v10's definitely the nicer bike as far as downhilling, cornering, racing, and what not. But I think I'd still prefer the bullit for a huck/jump/freeride machine.
    Enjoy yourself, bi***es.
    It's a celebration.
    -Dave Chappelle-

Xtremely Moderate
    Next logical step......................VP-Free.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Glad to Be Alive
    Gu

Seeya Bullit...sniff.
    no no on the Big Hit.......be smart and get a 26 inch wheel in the back...bike will pedal easier than a Big Hit which has a 24 inch rear......

May I recommend one of the top selling bikes in Europe - An Azonic Recoil (oh I just happen to ride one....and I also have rode the big hit before that).

The Recoil feels like a Big Hit but pedals easier and turns faster

also look into a used Intense M-1...........but buying used DH bikes you are always taking a chance
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

It a reality we all have to face

I'm sure there are more than a few of us who know exactly what you’re talking about. You decision might inspire me to fallow...

I have a nice bulitt. Full saint, 66RC 729 rims. I think there is a time in every bullit owner’s life that they have to pull their head out of the sand and admit it. The bike has its limits. After riding one 4 to 5 times a week for 4months on everything from XC with lots of climbs to the local bike park, it's clear. The bike can do everything, it just doesn't do anything all that well.

I was thinking of ditching mine this year for a Devinci Wilson, Demo 8 or maybe an M3, but I don't know if I can justify spending the money.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Search Craig's List. My friend is selling his Karpiel Armeggedon for $1500 (Mt. View) and there is another Army for sale in the east bay.

I too have ridden a Bullit (for about 5 years now) but at N* I am much happier on my Giant DH.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm sure there are more than a few of us who know exactly what youre talking about. You decision might inspire me to fallow...

I have a nice bulitt. Full saint, 66RC 729 rims. I think there is a time in every bullit owners life that they have to pull their head out of the sand and admit it. The bike has its limits. After riding one 4 to 5 times a week for 4months on everything from XC with lots of climbs to the local bike park, it's clear. The bike can do everything, it just doesn't do anything all that well.

I was thinking of ditching mine this year for a Devinci Wilson, Demo 8 or maybe an M3, but I don't know if I can justify spending the money.

Absurd
    Guys,

Seeya Bullit...sniff.
    The star kinda made me feel the same way about my bullit. As much as I loved it. I have replaced it with a new V-10..all better now..

no big deal
    Quote Originally Posted by MVRIDER
    The star kinda made me feel the same way about my bullit. As much as I loved it. I have replaced it with a new V-10..all better now..
    I like your style
    Enjoy yourself, bi***es.
    It's a celebration.
    -Dave Chappelle-