Say hello to my twins....... Bottlerocket and Diablo- Mtbr.com
    check your six

Say hello to my twins....... Bottlerocket and Diablo

It took a long time but I am finished with these two bikes. I am sure many of you have seen the Bottlerocket, due to the welding thread that was going around.

I thought long and hard on how to make my Bottlerocket one of a kind and something I am excited to look at and especially ride. I went with brown because it is my favorite color. After I was done with it, I realized how much I liked it. With some urging from my friends I decided to turn my 2006 Jamis Diablo 2.0 into the Bottlerockets twin.

Through Pink Bike I found a killer deal on a set of Revo 32's in brown for the Bottlerocket and moved the brown 36' to the Diablo. I disassembled the Bottlerocket, again, as well as the Diablo. I took the rocker arms, e.13 back plates, brake mounts, seat post collars, fork compression/rebound knobs from both bikes as well as the stem from the Diablo and had them powder coated the same brown as the Revolutions.

**I must thank Len from Fig Finishing, located in Manassas Park Virginia, for the awesome job on the powder coating. Anyone in the Virginia area must go to this man for their powder coating needs! You will not be disappointed! www.FigureEngineering.com

After I saw the powder coating I started the daunting task of stripping and removing the horrid ano paint from the Diablo. The paint stripper did nothing but give me a head start. I ended up sanding, grinding, and polishing the frame by hand. I am very pleased with the result! It is a hell of alot better then before. I also stripped the ano off the 888, Revox and DHX 5.0 dials and polished them up to get rid of the red and blue.

All in all I am very pleased with the outcome! And I can say that these bikes are done and ready for the season!

Much thanks to Pedal Shop, Wookie Freeride, LAX 30, and Fig Finishing for all the help and advice on these bikes and parts. ohh... and thanks MTBR for going through all those welding threads and not killing me for it! lol.. Enjoy fellas~ please comment
    -Sodak
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

check your six

some more

more pics
    Last edited by sodak; 04-18-2009 at 10:06 AM.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    not bad not bad!!
    i dont like brown but you make it work!!
    '08 Turner DHR :)

mtbr member
    awesome.

check your six
    I just realized that I took the pics before i took off the red zoke sticker on the 888. ugh..

StraightOuttaCompton
    thats a sick color scheme.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    awwww. they match.
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

Glad to Be Alive
    I don't like brown but that is the best brown used in a bike I have ever seen....looks sano man
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

wait...what?
    looking sweet. best example ever of brown on a bike.

check your six
    Thanks for the complements guys! I know brown is not the most favorite color, I appreciate the responses! I think it works well,....

Ohh..
    The Bottlerocket weighs 39.08
    The Diablo weighs 42.11

I am digging the new set-ups~

mtbr member
    Jeez you have spent a lot of time making those look all pretty.

Now for you to get the black ano of the stanchions converted to brown.....

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Nicley done.

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Jeez you have spent a lot of time making those look all pretty.

Now for you to get the black ano of the stanchions converted to brown.....
    I saw a bike on PB that had a 888 on it with brown stanchions. I PM'd the guy and he told me they were aftermarket stanchions, but would not give me any more info. It would be cool but a little above and beyone for me. lol...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak06
    I saw a bike on PB that had a 888 on it with brown stanchions. I PM'd the guy and he told me they were aftermarket stanchions, but would not give me any more info.
    What a douche. I love it when an mtb-er doesn't help out his fellow rider.
    I would have told you where to get them if I had them.

While I like the raw colored frame, I think I like my baby blue frame better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak06
    I saw a bike on PB that had a 888 on it with brown stanchions. I PM'd the guy and he told me they were aftermarket stanchions, but would not give me any more info. It would be cool but a little above and beyone for me. lol...
    I would think you could take a set to your local anodizer and get them redone.

Not that I am trying to get you to spend your money......

Still a child inside...
    nice BR
    Jamis=low-end

Seeeriously easy Livin
    well maybe not re-anodize the fork stanchions, but you should get the lowers, and your handlebars, and maybe the cranks powder coated brown. To me it seems like you already did all the small hard stuff, but missed the big things that will really tie the bike together.

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by danyiluska
    nice BR
    Jamis=low-end
    Well, Jamis may be low end to some, but this bike has carried my lift assisted ass down the slopes for two solid seasons, this year will be three. I have not had any problems with the bike, and it performs well, for me at least. I am extremely happy with Jamis and the quality of the bikes, should I also mention affordability?. So much so that my new Parker will be here on Wednesday! I bounced around the idea of getting a Double, but at tripple the price of the Parker I am not seeing the point. I want a bike that I can throw to the ground and not cringe and worry. Jenson has the frames going for $345 shipped, can't beat that at all.

I am going to ride the Diablo until she begs me to stop and then keep pushing her! Someday I will purchase a expensive boutique DH frame but considering the prices keep going up, I just can't find any justification to drop the Diablo for something else. It works and works well, so why change?

But thanks for the complements on the BR! lol....
    Last edited by sodak; 04-19-2009 at 02:52 PM.

check your six

found this pic

I just found this pic that my friend took. It is my favorite one of the BR.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    looks like they were dipped in chocolate

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by Flystagg
    well maybe not re-anodize the fork stanchions, but you should get the lowers, and your handlebars, and maybe the cranks powder coated brown. To me it seems like you already did all the small hard stuff, but missed the big things that will really tie the bike together.
    Trust me I really though about doing the lowers and cranks. But, my intention was to go with a subtle brown scheme. However as time went by and the more time I spent looking at the bike, I figured that would be too much brown. I did not want to look like I was riding a Snickers bar down the hill. lol...

I really like the looks of the white bar and white lowers look. Cedric got me hooked on that, i believe in, NWD 6. It makes the bike stand out in video and pics. I contemplated getting the 888 lowers done in white, but I would rather buy a 40 that upgrade the 888.

Ricky DH
    I like them a lot!! Nice customization.

EastBaySteez
    Wow.
    WOW.

I like
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fishywishy
    looks like they were dipped in chocolate
    or into a tub of fecal matter

mtbr member
    Holy Brown Cow Batman... that's sick!!!

nicely done
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    And for the record: here's that before picture of the DiaBlow.

the Re-do = way better....
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

check your six
    Thanks P-Shop... But you got to give me some credit. That picture you have was version 1.0. lol... Here is the same Diablo at version 3.0, by far a better set up.... now we are at 4.0 lol...

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by rmb_mike

While I like the raw colored frame, I think I like my baby blue frame better.
    Oh yeah,,, the baby blue of Transition is a nice color. I really like the baby blue, white, black set ups I have seen around! They look very clean. Believe it or not, I actually ordered a white frame to go with this colors scheme. But they ran out of white mid shipment???

Roll on Spring Time!
    Keep the brown as Highlights, any more may just be too much. Brown is a wicked colour to work with, I have thought an old retro color scheme of baby blue and brown or orange and brown would be nuts. Then a good old afro and you could skank all over town.
    I am really into raw frames but none of my frame choices have that as an option.
    What saddle is that in the last pic of the BR, I dig. And what travel 66 you running, 180mm?

Members who have read this thread: 0