Jun 2005
    the vpp should be enough to tell you the difference
    Clips are for kooks

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    so one can climb and the other cant

Radical Off The Statical
    Jun 2005
    The VPP will pedal alot better because the it's designed to get rid of pedal bob... the bullit pedals great... i had a bullit before i got my v10 and i loved it. the v10 does pedal alot better and it brakes alot better too. the bullit is a great bike for the money. it's always been one of my favorite bikes.
    Clips are for kooks

Juanjo
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Can u please lower the seat on ur DH bike...?

Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ \m/>-<\m/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Jesus loves you ............. Everyone else thinks your an A$$hole .

TNC
    noMAD man

There is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by freerider_54
    so one can climb and the other cant
    There are some pretty good reviews in some of the posts probably available by a search here on this forum under "VP Free". I have a couple of Bullits myself, and it is a very good bike that has a great deal of capability to be built up from an aggressive trail bike, all the way to a burly, competent, freeride rig. I got to ride a VP Free at I-Bike Demo Days at Bootleg Canyon last year. For an 8.5" travel bike with an 888 on it, it was a very pedalable bike while taking the big hits at Bootleg with no problem. I also rode the thing around a bit on some of the regular trails after finishing the shuttled downhill...surprisingly easy to live with, despite the weight. IMHO it is a better bike than a Bullit for many uses, but it has a couple of issues to consider depending on your needs. Eight and a half inches of travel is a lot compared to the '03 and later Bullit's actual 6.5 inches. You'll really need to run at least a 7" fork and preferably an 8" fork. The Bullit can run these forks also, but you can also go to some of the lighter 5" or 6" single crown forks for more all-around use. If you need/want the big travel, then the Free is the superior choice. The Free also has a 150mm rear hub. It's one of the things that have kept me from one because I don't need a 150mm hub and don't want another hub/wheel format to deal with. Some absoulutely need/want that size hub, so consider your needs there.

If you're wanting a really long travel bike that is quite an efficient pedaler, then the Free is the choice. If you want a little less travel, a more simple design, and a frame that can easily go from trail bike to freeride bike, then a Bullit may fit your needs. With the advent of the many stable platform shocks available, the Bullit is a fairly effcient pedaler...and it is not a bad climber. I'm kinda considering a Nomad when they become available. It seems to offer the compromise between the Bullit and Free that would make a really capable all-around bike. Here's a shot of a 32.8lb. trail Bullit and a 41lb. freeride Bullit just to show how wide an array of use a Bullit can fill. The one with the Monster T has a longer shock to produce 7.2" of rear travel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TNC
    noMAD man

Are you riding it???

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastHucker
    Can u please lower the seat on ur DH bike...?

Thanks.

LOL! Yeah, that's been said before. Dream4est and I had a good discussion about it some time back. I'd probably look at one of your rigs and say, "Geez, raise that saddle a bit"....LOL!...but I don't ride your bike. And Juano, I've seen the type of riding you do...we don't do much of the same stuff. I'm old and more of just a gnarly terrain rider who likes the long travel for the rocks and ledges.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    LOL! Yeah, that's been said before. Dream4est and I had a good discussion about it some time back. I'd probably look at one of your rigs and say, "Geez, raise that saddle a bit"....LOL!...but I don't ride your bike. And Juano, I've seen the type of riding you do...we don't do much of the same stuff. I'm old and more of just a gnarly terrain rider who likes the long travel for the rocks and ledges.
    If you likes the long travel, why are you riding a lightweight 7" duallie? It makes me cringe seeing monster t's on the front of a bullit, mismatch of the decade. When your dropping that seat, please piss those horribly heavy forks off, at least put them on a bike that suits

mtbr member
    I ride a bullit. No complaints but the VP Free should be stiffer and easier to pedal. Check out the deometry differences.

Juanjo
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny boy
    If you likes the long travel, why are you riding a lightweight 7" duallie? It makes me cringe seeing monster t's on the front of a bullit, mismatch of the decade. When your dropping that seat, please piss those horribly heavy forks off, at least put them on a bike that suits
    Did u forget to put some smillies faces on that !!?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ \m/>-<\m/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Jesus loves you ............. Everyone else thinks your an A$$hole .

TNC
    noMAD man

Mismatch of the decade...LOL!

Well, Johnny Boy, I may be old, but I'm not dead! And you don't think the later Bullits from '03 on with heavier tubing and gusseted head tube are safely capable of running a Monster? Duuuude!...the older Monster is only a 7" fork...and a relatively short on at that. Also I seem to recall a few notable hucksters and freeriders doing their thing on the Bullit/Monster combo. That 41lb. weight wasn't achieved at the expensive of slapping a bunch of ultralight parts. The tires in their Stan's tubeless setup are probably the lightest parts, being Michelin 2.5 Hot S. Oh, Johnny...when you start buying and building my bikes, you can cringe all you want...LOL.

crumb
    You have no idea what youre talking about, so leave your wrong opinions to yourself. haha
    ETBW
    Magura

Radical Off The Statical
    Jun 2005
    i had 2 monster Ts on my bullit... it matches up pretty well if you ask me
    Clips are for kooks

mtbr member
    I originally went with a bullit frame because I didn't want to compromise on my components and I couldn't afford a better frame at the time. Now I can afford just about any frame I can think of but I can't figure why I would want to replace it, I love my bullit with its Fox DHX 5.0. I also only weigh 145.

mtbr member
    Bullits are truely great bikes esp for the price. For about $1000.00 you get a studly frame that can take a big DH fork like TNC's DH Bullit, (several friends that have DC Shivers on their Bullits and they love the combo) and yet slap on a Pike with some Crossmax XL's and you have a nice trailbike. Not many bikes can do this with much sucess, this would be hard to do with a Free. The Bullit climbs fairly well and is plush on the decents. I had a 04 Bullit built at 34 1/2 pounds, my buds Bullit's with the Shivers weigh 43 pounds. Now on this note, I do like the VPP design over the single pivot, I sold the Bullit and built up a VPX recently and really love this bike but there is a difference between the two brothers, VPP Free and VPX. The big difference is geometry, and this is also evident in the two SC bikes. The Free is made for big drops and hits, and the Bullit is more of a "allround" bike, it feels lighter and more playfull than the Free. If I were riding long desert decents like in Southern Utah, the Free would rule the trails, a long wheelbase and lots of travel in a bike that pedals well can just rip on wide open rough rocky terrain. The Bullit can be ridden and built for alot of different area's, and the guy's who ride them love them!
    I think price is still the biggest factor.

Knolly Bikes for life!!!
    Apr 2005
    Bullit for the budget,but a GREAT bike still.I`ve tried `em both,and I think the Free is just better though.Go wit da Free.So sweet!

Samsonite Tester
    The Bullit never let me down DH racing or Freeriding. A 7" fork and it had spot on geometry for its short wheelbase.

Now with a firefly its a blast as a light freeride/trailbike. 5th element works like a snap for all ride types.

The Bullit is close to breaking Ritchey's "Pick only two rule" Cheap ,Light and Strong.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14