Santa Cruz NOMAD - REVIEW (just added)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Santa Cruz NOMAD - REVIEW (just added)

My Nomad..

Size: Medium
    Top Tube: 22
    Seat Tube: 70
    Head Angle: 68 (depends on tire and fork choice) (mine is 67.5)
    Bottom Bracket: 13.7 (depends on tire and fork choice)
    Weight: 30.4 lbs.

Days ridden: 7
    Crashes: 7

Problems: 0, no problems yet. Since I'm 6'0 I think a large would be in order... The top tube is a bit short for my taste. A through axle option would be nice for those of us that are using the bike for aggressive DH/All Mountain riding.

The Nomad

Santa Cruz has built a bike that meets the needs of someone who would like to use the same ride for everything. Most of us have a plethora bikes for every style of riding; unfortunately we can't always take multiple bikes with us on trips. The Nomad allows us to have a bike that can handle everything, it is a cross between an XC race bike and a full on DH machine. Although the bike is not built specifically for either style of riding it can handle both extremes. The Nomad can be classified as an Aggressive Trail Bike and its geometry lends itself to almost any style of riding.

Sloping Top Tube:

Santa Cruz has scored with those of us that find it important to slam their seats on technical descents. Having a sloping top tube not only brings the center of gravity down a but it also gives you far more clearance to throw the bike from side to side without hitting your legs. While riding fast technical singletrack it is very important for a rider to move the bike from side to side without the top tube getting in the way. People use the term "flickable" when describing this phenomenon, I can say for sure that this frame has that attribute. It is very "flickable" and almost feels like you are riding an overgrown slalom bike with XC prowess. Hitting corners at speed seems easier when you have a sloping top tube; it just feels like you can get your body and center of gravity lower in the corners.

Cornering:

The shorter wheelbase allows for much quicker direction change, thus tight corners can be negotiated at higher speeds. Quick hops out of corners are much easier as well. The 67.5 degree head angle is steep enough to get your weight forward so that its easy negotiate high angle flat corners. Once again the 70 degree seat tube allows the rider to put the saddle all the way down to the frame for a more comfortable position.

Climbing:

On the climbs the Nomad feels like a true XC rig. It is very stable while pedaling in the saddle and its also very easy to transfer your weight over the front of the bike when the climb gets steep. The seat tube allows the rider to utilize a full-length post for long climbs. The 70 degree seat tube makes for a comfortable ride while pedaling in the saddle. Other bikes in this category have very slack seat tubes which make it hard to pedal uphill. My bike feels very stable on the climbs, it sits down into the first 1/3 of travel and does not move much while on smooth ascents. If you happened to run into roots or logs on the way up the trail, the bike will soak them with no problem.

Descending:

The Nomad's suspension set up is similar to other Santa Cruz designs such as the Blur and Blur 4x. Depending on how you set up your shock, will determine how the bike performs. I have a DHX Air on mine that has 200lbs in the main chamber and 80lbs in the boost valve. I weigh 185 lbs. My bike is set up for more of a high speed DH/Trail application. I ride trails that are very fast (in excess of 30 mph during most of the ride) with large hits. By hits I mean holes, rocks, railroad ties, logs, roots and jumps.

Set up will vary based on personal preference, intended use and riding style. For Instance Mark Weir likes to run 40% sag in his shock. Mark Weighs 165. He runs 160lbs in the main chamber and 100 in the boost valve. People may choose to run a softer application like this for aggressive trail riding. It allows the rider to utilize more travel during the ride. Keep in mind if you set it up like this you will bottom out occasionally on larger hits.

Jumping:

This bike is killer for jumping. Once again, it's low BB and sloping top tube make it easy to throw around in the air. Whether you are hitting dirt jumps or trail style hits the Nomad will perform.

Written by Forrest
    Additional info provided by Mark Weir.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gregg; 05-18-2005 at 12:48 PM.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Soooo....how does the suspension work?

Sick ride holmes.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

mtbr member

suspension...

I'll let you know as soon as I can... My ankle is all jacked up but I should have some info by next week...

Thanks,Forrest

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    dam thats sexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Cynical Bystander
    That looks about 150x better than the chrome one! That is one sexy bike. :drool: You gonna use her for mostly trail riding or all around fr/xc/dh/whatever type stuff?
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    awsome

mtbr member
    i wonder how those hydroformed tubes compare to normal tubing, strength wise

brooklyn bike rider
    Jan 2004
    damn i gotta agree that's a fackin FINE bike.
    i want one...
    Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    Some folks hug trees. Some hug steel bikes.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    when are you getting "SantaCruz" tattooed across your belly?

banned
    that looks way more slick and organic than the prior press kit/Sea Otter images we've seen (white powdercoated and polished alu). let us know how well it rides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    when are they going to be on santa cruz's website

Bike Hoor
    Can you put a coil on that rig? I have yet to hear a definitive answer on that one.

Sweet ride, BTW.
    Pedalling the goods since 2002.
    http://www.boutiquebikes.com

mtbr member

Trail Riding, DH/FR... anything!! it shuld be cool...

Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    That looks about 150x better than the chrome one! That is one sexy bike. :drool: You gonna use her for mostly trail riding or all around fr/xc/dh/whatever type stuff?

Thanks for the compliments... I will let you know what's up after I ride it...

Forrest

mtbr member

Strength...

Quote Originally Posted by toyota kawasaki
    i wonder how those hydroformed tubes compare to normal tubing, strength wise

I'm not sure but I've heard they are very strong...

mtbr member

Yes, you can get a Coil... Weir is running his with a....

DHX coil... It has an 8.5 eye to eye... I bet it would be really nice with one.

thanks

mtbr member

Me gusta

shes perdy
    chode1: dude I cant nail that road gap
    jong2: yah dude.
    chode2: dudes, if we had a team...
    jong1: yeah just like on that Disney movie!
    chode1: chix would dig it and wed get layd
    chode2: everyone except you that is
    jong2: yeah lets be the Paris Hilton Death Squad
    chode2: PHOQUE YEAH!
    chorus: TIME TO DO THE ROAD GAP!

Origionally posted bygonzostrike

Bike Hoor
    With a coil, IMO (and mine only) that would be the PERFECT bike. Then again, Intense has a 6.6 on the way. Seems as though SC is first to market with any new VPP genre of bike. Maybe that is part of the licensing deal... who knows.

You must be the first Nomad owner in the whole damn world.
    Pedalling the goods since 2002.
    http://www.boutiquebikes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    AMAZING BIKE!!!! how did you get one?

Glad to Be Alive
    efing 31 pounds...wow. that is light what are all the components
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by mentawais
    AMAZING BIKE!!!! how did you get one?
    Umm...thats Forrest. Hes sponsored by Santa Cruz.
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member

Mentawais... I'm not sure why they....

let me have one at such an early stage... I think it may be because I usually break all my stuff. Anyway, I'm super stoked to have it!

Thanks,Forrest

mtbr member

Shiver me... Here is the component list...

Medium Ano Grey Nomad, Fox 36, Fox DHX Air, King Headset, WTB Dual Duty Wheelset, Thomson Stem, Easton Monkey Bar 31.8, XO drivetrain, Truvativ GXP crank with a triple, XT front der, Thomson Post, WTB Shadow V Stealth Saddle, WTB Mutanor 2.4 rear, Weirwolf 2.5 front, Hayes Mag disc brakes...

I think that is it...

Thanks, Forrest

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayer77
    Medium Ano Grey Nomad, Fox 36, Fox DHX Air, King Headset, WTB Dual Duty Wheelset, Thomson Stem, Easton Monkey Bar 31.8, XO drivetrain, Truvativ GXP crank with a triple, XT front der, Thomson Post, WTB Shadow V Stealth Saddle, WTB Mutanor 2.4 rear, Weirwolf 2.5 front, Hayes Mag disc brakes...

I think that is it...

Thanks, Forrest

thanks...running tubeless will get it to 30 pounds ...WOW ...if that can hold up to abuse
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Trail rider and racer
    One can safely conclude after seeing pictures of it in White, that this ol' color looks mighty fine indeed. Nice bike!

Whats the saddle may I ask? It looks a little beefier than a SLR but a little less stout in contrast to the other WTBs I've seen.
    Trev!

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    thanks...running tubeless will get it to 30 pounds ...WOW ...if that can hold up to abuse
    I bet it can, seems like it'll be tough competing with this and the new Enduros.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Bionic Mtn Biker
    Damn, like something straight outta MOMA...Truly a work of art. Looks like I'll be waiting til '06 to get my grubby lil' mitts on one.
    Better than he was before. Better. . . Stronger. . . Faster. (but not smarter)

RIDE TO LIVE&LIVE TO RIDE
    that's a really sick bike. looks much better than i thought it would. have fun on that thing.
    nice.

Fartographer

Nice Pictures, but...

I think we're going to have to get you to a fisheye lens anonymous meeting.

That first photo is super cool.

People are asking about hydoform tubing. It's supposed to be both lighter and stronger. And maybe more importantly - ithe hydroform parts supposedly cost less to manufactuer. That should mean cheaper and better bikes for all of us. That's what they say, anyway.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I think we're going to have to get you to a fisheye lens anonymous meeting.

People are asking about hydoform tubing. It's supposed to be both lighter and stronger. And maybe more importantly - ithe hydroform parts supposedly cost less to manufactuer. That should mean cheaper and better bikes for all of us. That's what they say, anyway.
    The hydroform looks pretty damn cool at times as well... and in certain colors.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

... and if we just ...

Whats the top tube length. Head angle, and bottom bracket height?
    Curious ya know!
    Thanks, M.C. Yeh, that is nicer than what I was expecting.

mtbr member

Angles Etc... I will take measurements tomorrow...

and give you the skinny...

Thanks, Forrest

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    That's what I was thinking.....but I don't know nuthin' about photos, so I was glad to hear PJ say it first.

Cool bike.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

The king is on fire
    Santa Cruz's are hot **** thats for sure.

College
    Jun 2004

Thanks, Forrest
    you Should take some more pictures
    . that color looks much much much much better than the white and polished ones.

mtbr member
    wow..that is a nice ride..!!! i really need an all mountain bike...i got a 2000 cannondale jekyll 600 and its quite shitty especially with the head shock!! but i just bought myself an IH Sunday factory..so i guess it will be the end of this year that i will be getting an all moutain bike..
    and the Nomad is defn on top of my list...
    but sick ride!!! how did u get it so quickly? i tried to order a v10 and got the sunday instead as it was taking ages to arrive!!!
    like pictures as well

KC
    Also know as TurnerDHRider

mtbr member
    what the hell thompson stem is that? i thought i was gonna need their 6 bolt bmx stem. is it out to the public yet?

mtbr member

More photos... I will take more photos this afternoon...

I'll try to get some detailed ones.

Thanks

Ultimate Poseur

Wow!

Holy! That is sex on 2 wheels. Must resist the urge to sell off stuff to own one. Simply gorgeous.

Yay! Bikes !
    Very nice Forrest. I liked the white, but yours looks even better. I'll be looking forward to a ride report.
    picture request: closeup, non-drive side, BB area. Gracias.

BTW: how did you jack up your ankle?

gwm
    heckler and jekyll

pc gray

Quote Originally Posted by moff_quigley
    Holy! That is sex on 2 wheels. Must resist the urge to sell off stuff to own one. Simply gorgeous.

thats the best color i've seen on the nomad so far! that bike freaking rocks bro! let us know how she rides...

looks like my heckler's got a year left to live... enter the nomad

/dev/null
    Wow, that looks great. The polished version looks downright hideous but that's very.. understated. Sweet!

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Can you measure the following for me;

BB Height
    Wheelbase
    Chainstay length
    Effective TT length

Thanks
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member

Rear Brake

Every Nomad I have seen set up has seemed to have a 6in rear rotor. I don't want to get into a debate about not needing more than 6 since I'm sure you don't really. I just happen to have a 7in M4 and am wondering if I am going to have to buy a new rear brake if I get a Nomad.

Will a 7 or 8in rear brake rotor fit on that frame?

Thanks

Yay
    That is an AWESOME bike dude! im so jealous!!! Let us know how it rides!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, -WOW- What a ride...!!!!

Fashionably functional...
    Always thought the bike was FUUUUUUUUUGLY...till I saw this one. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!! Definately a better color choice than what they released to press so far. Anyone have a clue what a frame is gonna cost yet? I love my Heckler and I spec'd it out lovely. If any change was to happen, it'll prob be just be frame and any little thing I break till then.

mtbr member

Stem...

That is the new Thomson 31.8 X4 stem...

mtbr member

Nick, I jumped that creek gap....

in Santa Cruz and came off sideways... I tried to put my foot down to keep me upright but it didn't work... No biggie though, it could be worse!

thanks,Forrest

mtbr member

It will fit an 8in rear for sure dude... I just wanted to save...

the weight...

thanks,

Xtremely Moderate
    Nice bikey.

What about tire width?
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

mtbr member

Killer Bike...

That is a sick looking bike bro!!! I can't wait to get my hands on one next year! I currently ride a VP Free and I'm very satisfied with the Santa Cruz craftsmanship and the VPP suspension.

Have fun on that!!!

More pics please!!!
    Manny

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Pics of the thomson stem here:
    https://www.lhthomson.com/gallery/50x4c_1280.jpg

https://www.lhthomson.com/gallery/50x4b_1280.jpg

https://www.lhthomson.com/gallery/50x4a_1280.jpg

Get well soon Forrest. BTW...congrats on getting the cover shot of this month's Mountain Bike - how much did you have to pay them?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The photos of the chrome bike at Sea Otter made me want to yack, but now its growing on me. (Like a tumor, maybe). The grey is WAY nicer than the chrome (or the white for that matter).

Sweet bike!

mtbr member

It has a super wide rear end... It will fit up to a 2.8 I'm...

sure...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    Nice bikey.

What about tire width?

MTBR.com Addict
    sure...

Thanks
    Hey Forrest, who is that person in the pics? He looks familiar to me. I've seen him in the shop in the back of Walnut Creek Performance Bike.

Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by STrackMike
    Hey Forrest, who is that person in the pics? He looks familiar to me. I've seen him in the shop in the back of Walnut Creek Performance Bike.
    Fast new kid on the block - Ryan Condrashoff

mtbr member

Luc is right... That is non other than Ryan Re....

Condrashoff... Hanging out!

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Anyway, let me know what you think!!!
    Lust...

By the time these are out, it may be time to replace the Blur and the Bullit.

Thanks for posting the pics, looking forward to seeing more.

~~~~~~~~~~~

How has your VP Free been working for you?

BTW, how come you aren't joining the rest of the MTBR crew on the FFTF road trip?

mtbr member

Craig... Dude.. The Free works killer, I friggin love it!

I can't go this weekend man, although I would love it!

Thanks,Forrest

mtbr member
    May 2004
    that is one sweet bike. i wonder how the DHX air will work. have fun on it

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

... and if we just ...

Hey, we need some specs. I want to know Head angle, top tube lenght, bottom bracket height, seat tube angle. If you can or know. I love the welds. Does the design of the top tube seem visually strange when you are riding it or do you not notice?
    Thanks, M.C.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    One more Question, How easy is it to flick the bike from one side to the other. With the shock being so high I would think it wouldnt be that great, but your the one with the bike.
    Thanks, M.C.

mtbr member

MC... I don't have all the specs but the HT is 67.5 with..

a 2.4 Mutano Raptor in the rear and a 2.3 weirwolf in the front. TT is 22.5, but I will measure again. Not sure of BB and ST, I will measure today. I didn't notice the TT when pedaling around my court.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M.C.
    Hey, we need some specs. I want to know Head angle, top tube lenght, bottom bracket height, seat tube angle. If you can or know. I love the welds. Does the design of the top tube seem visually strange when you are riding it or do you not notice?
    Thanks, M.C.

STP
    mtbr member
    Damn Forrest you are such a rockstar. That bike looks awsome! You always have the best toys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Sick

SICK! That thing looks SO good, and no doubt it will ride awesome!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

... and if we just ...

swwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! haha, this bike sure is getting a lot of attention! it is prurdy though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Forrest bike drove me crazy

hey guys , right now i'm puzzle ...my little drama; last year i was looking out for new trail bike, i was tired of heavy IH SGS expert harsh suspension feeling , my choice was FOES INFERNO (with titanium coil , floating brake), after 5 month in waiting it will arrive next week here in Brazil ...but after i had read some MTBR foruns i realized that VPP design is the best to kind of rides i do( very technical rocky downhill) then comes Forrest bike , 5 pound lighter than inferno , stunning sexy machine ...i gonna to let INFERNO frame in the store to sell, save all money as i can ( no sashimis,no party , no new surfboard ever good weed) to a buy a NOMAD and wait another 5 month of course , it's my dream come true bike!!!!!
    Last edited by mentawais; 04-28-2005 at 07:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Sweet bike Forest!!!!

we regular folk, aren't suppose to see those in production till fall right? anyone heard? I've been meaning to ask our rep just haven't thought about it while I was on the phone with him.

Youngbuck
    Thats a sweet bike. Would it be good for 4X? Maybe take off that triple and put on two ring with bashguard? I think the hyrdoformed tubing looks sweet,especially in that colour
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

mtbr member

MORE PHOTOS of the NOMAD!!!!!

We took about 10 more photos for you folks... Let me know what you think...

Thanks,forrest

mtbr member

More photos...

Here you go...
    Last edited by Slayer77; 04-28-2005 at 05:03 PM. Reason: retard

mtbr member

More....

More....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    photos are sick man!
    Last edited by Gregory; 04-28-2005 at 05:36 PM.

/dev/null
    Your fisheye lens makes my eyes hurt but the frame looks awesome! Some bizarrely large welds on that rear end near the linkage, though.

banned
    Forrest thanks for that last pic on the non-drive dropout. that Nomad is full of nice design details. the folks at SCB should be proud.

mtbr member

Angles Etc....

Head angle 67.5, Wheelbase 43.5, Top Tube 22.5, BB height 13.5.... Everything seems pretty darn cool! Can't wait to ride it!

banned

JM soon?

Hey Forrest,

When will you be testing that at JM?? I'd like to check it out sometime...
    Let's ride.
    Rolfe

ps congrats on the sea otter dh, you were flying....

mtbr member

Those welds may be due to the fact that this is a....

Prototype frame...

Here is a photo of Mark Weir's, he has taken it on a few spins already!!!

Thanks,Forrest
    Last edited by Slayer77; 04-28-2005 at 07:59 PM. Reason: retard

mtbr member
    May 2004
    how did u get 1 so quick? does the top tube become a bugger with the man marbles ? looks like a great spot to park them for a milisecond of pain

mtbr member

Rolfe, I should be good to ride next week dude... My..

Ankle is healing fast!

Thanks for the note on Sea Otter, I had a really good time down there but a bad run... No worries though, next year!

Thanks,Forrest

Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    Hey Forrest,

When will you be testing that at JM?? I'd like to check it out sometime...
    Let's ride.
    Rolfe

ps congrats on the sea otter dh, you were flying....

mtbr member

Top tube...

I don't think so man, it doesn't feel any higher than a regular top tube. think it just looks like that because of the shape. I'm not sure why I got one so soon, I have some good buddies at SC.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy
    how did u get 1 so quick? does the top tube become a bugger with the man marbles ? looks like a great spot to park them for a milisecond of pain

Ultimate Poseur

Size

Head angle 67.5, Wheelbase 43.5, Top Tube 22.5, BB height 13.5.... Everything seems pretty darn cool! Can't wait to ride it!
    I don't recall you stating what size frame this is? Based on the TT# I'd say it's a "medium" correct? Might be a little slack for the riding I do...but I still want one. SC=Hammer hit nail on head.

mtbr member

It is a medium....

You could make the headangle change with a twist of a knob on the 36... The TALAS travel adjuster on the 36 works really well..

Thanks,Forrest

Quote Originally Posted by moff_quigley
    I don't recall you stating what size frame this is? Based on the TT# I'd say it's a "medium" correct? Might be a little slack for the riding I do...but I still want one. SC=Hammer hit nail on head.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    Hey Forrest,

When will you be testing that at JM?? ....
    Never evidently. I was considering it initially as my next frame, but the BB height is too low (and the wait too long obviously). I've been riding a 6" travel frame with a 13.3" BB, this is already a damn-low BB for that much travel and I have to be carefull to not bang my pedals on rocks, but 13.5 for 6.5" of travel is just too low. I was expecting more like 13.75-14" or so, given the travel. I don't want an excessively high BB, but 13.5 is too low IMO for that much travel. That top tube is a little short for me as well. I can see where the bike is short, it's in the front end. The 43.5" wheelbase is a little short for my tastes (I prefer around 43.75-44, and with the short top tube, I'd bet that it has ~16.75" chainstays. The shorter front end is probably what keeps it from being more like a 44" wheelbase.

Not dissing the bike, but I'm very particular when it comes to geometry, so take it with a grain of salt. It looks like an impressive bike and I'll try to bum one off someone in the future for a little ride. Nice to see SC filling the "gap".
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

C88
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I think that is it...

Thanks, Forrest
    Pedals, please?

Looking for some decent flats...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Nobody noticed I guess........

- Weir's bike has an 8 inch rotor on the back.
    I remember that question being asked quite a bit.....

Sooooper slick rig Forrest, enjoy!

Outcast
    Before any moron asks, "why is there a suspension seatpost on a full suspension bike?", it's a gravity dropper seatpost. You can raise or drop the saddle 3 inches, on the fly. They kick ass!

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    You can raise or drop the saddle 3 inches, on the fly. They kick ass!
    My wife wants one.........I can't imagine why?
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    My wife wants one.........I can't imagine why?
    Because she won't have a saddle attached to the end?

Xtremely Moderate
    Because she won't have a saddle attached to the end?
    Dammit! I knew there was a motive..........

mtbr member

Correction BB Height is 13.7.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by C88
    Pedals, please?

mtbr member

Truvativ Flats dude... They are killer!

thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by C88
    Pedals, please?

mtbr member
    very sick, but can you not get black zip ties? otherwise orgasmic.

Got Doubles? Pun Intended
    Mar 2005
    That bike is fugly.

I'll keep my Intense 5.5.

Did Santa Cruz just hire some newbie kid designer who just graduated from the Design Center???

It reminds me of those concept drawings that never make it to production.
    Some one was high on crack when they gave the "green light" to produce that bike.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pamela Anderson

"Freeriderizzle is soo haut right now"

mtbr member

Only had white...

sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by flatulentfox
    very sick, but can you not get black zip ties? otherwise orgasmic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Porn.

I get a chubby every time I look at those photos.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Note that only the 50mm version looks like that. All others have a more or less rounded body between the clamps.

That is the new Thomson 31.8 X4 stem...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderizzle
    That bike is fugly.

I'll keep my Intense 5.5.

Did Santa Cruz just hire some newbie kid designer who just graduated from the Design Center???

It reminds me of those concept drawings that never make it to production.
    Some one was high on crack when they gave the "green light" to produce that bike.
    It's just a bike buddy, calm down. The frame follows the same looks as the v10, and I think it looks good with the rest of their line up. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

I Know It's Only Rock'n Roll ...[/

because i like it!!! i will buy one

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    That's the spirt!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ewww...

banned
    I'll let you know as soon as I can... My ankle is all jacked up but I should have some info by next week...

Thanks,Forrest
    No wonder I haven't been seeing you up in JM!

Think the WTB reducers will work with that stem? Judd made me some custom 25.4 carbon bars, so I ain't switchin any time soon, but I likee that stem!

-ChuckD

mtbr member

I'm not sure dude...

It should though... How have you been?

Quote Originally Posted by imridingmybike
    No wonder I haven't been seeing you up in JM!

Think the WTB reducers will work with that stem? Judd made me some custom 25.4 carbon bars, so I ain't switchin any time soon, but I likee that stem!

-ChuckD

banned
    It should though... How have you been?
    Been Good. Had some good times on Cinderella last week. More jumps! You know anything about those?

That new bike'll probly do good there! WHen you gunna be back up there?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

OK, let me rephrase.

Quote Originally Posted by hearnoevil
    ewww...
    Damn! Hot bike! Me want bad!

banned
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mentawais
    hey guys , right now i'm puzzle ...my little drama; last year i was looking out for new trail bike, i was tired of heavy IH SGS expert harsh suspension feeling , my choice was FOES INFERNO (with titanium coil , floating brake), after 5 month in waiting it will arrive next week here in Brazil ...but after i had read some MTBR foruns i realized that VPP design is the best to kind of rides i do( very technical rocky downhill) then comes Forrest bike , 5 pound lighter than inferno , stunning sexy machine ...i gonna to let INFERNO frame in the store to sell, save all money as i can ( no sashimis,no party , no new surfboard ever good weed) to a buy a NOMAD and wait another 5 month of course , it's my dream come true bike!!!!!
    I might be interested in that inferno....PM me if you really want to sell....

mtbr member

I'll be riding again next week... I just need to let my...

ankle heal for a few more days. Jumps??? Hmmmmm.... I wouldn't know anything about that. Let's try to hookup!

Thanks dude...

Forrest

Been Good. Had some good times on Cinderella last week. More jumps! You know anything about those?

That new bike'll probly do good there! WHen you gunna be back up there?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

... and if we just ...

Slayer77, When should you get healed up enough to test the Nomad. Sux that you are hurt. Ben there too many times myself. Anyway, Heal up soon. We all want to Know the capabilities of this bike. Is this bike easily flickable from side to side is this bike, and do you think the Bottom bracket Height is really too low for the amount of travel. Too many Heckler owners have complained about this issue. I personally am desiding between this and an 05 Enduro. Both seem Great!
    Take Care!
    M.C.

err, 27.5+
    Saw my first wild Nomad yesterday. Strapped to the back of a Volvo SUV That rig is prolly gonna see some hard riding

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dscot420
    Saw my first wild Nomad yesterday. Strapped to the back of a Volvo SUV That rig is prolly gonna see some hard riding
    hey man, those Rails-to-Trails and paved suburban paths really test the bike's ability to handle flat terrain, which is a VERY important feature of what the Nomad was designed to do, I'm sure.

mtbr member

That is so funny dude... Was it Black?

Thanks,Forrest

Quote Originally Posted by dscot420

banned
    Here you go...
    Is that Devlins crotch you've bequeathed to us?

And his kid as well, I assume.

Let's ride!

mtbr member

dscot420... That Black Volvo belongs to Rob Roskopp...

He owns Santa Cruz Bicycles... His bike sees some action occasionally...

thanks,Forrest

Is that Devlins crotch you've bequeathed to us?

And his kid as well, I assume.

Let's ride!

err, 27.5+
    dscot420... That Black Volvo belongs to Rob Roskopp...

Kind of figured that's who it might have been. Still cracked me up

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    so have you rode it yet or what. whats the first impression. stick with it or back to the drawing boards. i am very excited about the bike, chomping at the bit you could say. please pass us some more news

mtbr member

Vanair...

I've ridden the bike 3 times now dude... I will do a write up and submit it to this post. All I can say is the bike is unreal dude... It handles like a slalom bike but decends like a DH rig. I will go into more detail in the review. It should be up in a day or so...

thanks,Forrest

Quote Originally Posted by vanair
    so have you rode it yet or what. whats the first impression. stick with it or back to the drawing boards. i am very excited about the bike, chomping at the bit you could say. please pass us some more news

mtbr member
    I've ridden the bike 3 times now dude... I will do a write up and submit it to this post. All I can say is the bike is unreal dude... It handles like a slalom bike but decends like a DH rig. I will go into more detail in the review. It should be up in a day or so...

thanks,Forrest
    Hi forrest,

First of all thanks for thoses very nice pics, i love it
    It seems to be the real all-around mtb, but i've got a question:
    Do you think it could also be riden (driven? sorry don't know the right word ) hard, with quite big jumps (occasionally; approx. 5 meters)? Is it strong enough ?
    Because i want to ride hard in dh, jump everywhere i can (but not frequently), and also go up to the hills (go at the top in order to get down, because in my country we got to pedal a lot before a dh).

So as you can see, i want a bike wich is the best compromise and the Nomad got many advantages (vpp,quite big travel, SC quality,..), but the strentgness on jumps is the only is the only last brake for me to buy it

->If i got it i'll put the new Marzocchi 66 (2006 model with lower crown than the 05 model), i tell you that to give you an idea of my "supposed" setup

THX, alex

Riding dirt since 1970

Nice...

...Looks like they delt with that protrusion issue that the VP frees had at the BB shell, making it a pain to face. I'll have to stick w my Bullit for now. Any idea on retail $ ?
    Med. V10.5 for sale

sLigHtLy lEft oF CEntEr
    He owns Santa Cruz Bicycles... His bike sees some action occasionally...

thanks,Forrest

Roskopp was the skatin man back in the 80's.
    When I was a kid get so stoked to go to the local skate shop and see what the
    new Roskopp board would look like. I think that there were 5 or 6 decks in this series.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    whered you get it and how much it cost you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Slayer 77! Where is your review of the Nomad? Ive been wanting to know what you really thought about this bike. R.C. at Mountian bike Action seems to think it is more of a xc bike and not as strong as a Spec. 05 Enduro. These are the 2 bikes Im considering. So, what is your oppinion?
    Thanks,
    M.C..

mtbr member
    Roskopp was the skatin man back in the 80's.
    When I was a kid get so stoked to go to the local skate shop and see what the
    new Roskopp board would look like. I think that there were 5 or 6 decks in this series.
    I had the Roskopp with the big eye ball on the bottom. It was red I think. Wish I spent more time on the bike as kid instead of the board. I would probably be a better rider know.

I sure am tempted to trade in the Heckler this fall. That Nomad is darn perty!

mtbr member

Please see the review on page 1....

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberSideUp
    I had the Roskopp with the big eye ball on the bottom. It was red I think. Wish I spent more time on the bike as kid instead of the board. I would probably be a better rider know.

I sure am tempted to trade in the Heckler this fall. That Nomad is darn perty!

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Thank god this is a sticky. I didn't think the world would survive without another 6" trail bike. Just in time to keep me from committing suicide. Thanks mtbr.

mtbr member

Would you like to see a different review?

Thank you,

Forrest

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Thank god this is a sticky. I didn't think the world would survive without another 6" trail bike. Just in time to keep me from committing suicide. Thanks mtbr.

Custom User Title

Great review

Thank you,

Forrest
    I enjoyed the review! Thanks Forrest

Ignore Jm, just another one of those easily jaded post whores

mtbr member

Right on! Thanks dude...

Forrest

Quote Originally Posted by dpdsurf
    I enjoyed the review! Thanks Forrest

Ignore Jm, just another one of those easily jaded post whores

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Thank you,

Forrest
    I thought this was good thread.

I didn't think this was anywhere near deserving "sticky" status.

There's actually an entire area of this website devoted to "reviews".

Reviewer/Tester
    Well...... when i first saw the Nomad in white and polished frames, I thought that it looked yuck.

But that colour is nice, and the bike sorta grows on you.

I sure would like to get a ride on one...

R.

mtbr member

Thanks for the heads up....

Forrest

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberSideUp
    Wish I spent more time on the bike as kid instead of the board. I would probably be a better rider know.
    Sometimes I think that, but I wouldn't be as good of a snowboarder now. I wish my knees could still hack the skateboard though.

TNC
    noMAD man

Hey, Jm, SC envy?

LOL!...now I'm just pulling your leg, but your comment brings up something interesting about SC bikes that we were talking about at our shop the other day. SC does seem to have developed a mystique or charisma in its bike line that may or may not be deserved. After discussing it somewhat, we came to the conclusion that perhaps they seem to offer a model for almost every need at a price point and quality level that other companies have a hard time competing with. Now you know me well enough to know that although I own a couple of SC bikes, I'd jump ship in a heartbeat for an equal or better quality bike at a good value...after all there are some other very good bikes being supplied today. SC does, however, seem to have hit upon a good strategy in their bike line that has provided a decently durable and innovative series of bikes at a very competitive price. Offering some color choice has also seemed to be a smart move on their part. No, this isn't a hymn to the glory of SC, just some things that came up in some discussions about why there seems to be an inordinate amount of interest in many of the SC bikes. Even before the apparent blossoming success of the VPP line, SC had taken a very simple single pivot design and established a decent amount of respect with it. Now with the VPP series, they seem to have grabbed another brass ring. I've ridden two VPP bikes now (the Blur and VP Free) and I must agree that it is an impressive, good working design. It's funny how some companies seem to make good decisions when they reach a fork in the road of technology change.

Oh, on your comment about "another 6 inch bike"...this seems to be the defining point in bike type, design, and weight that provides the most bike for most people in most riding situations. On our annual Moab trip that we just returned from, I found myself to be "over-biked" for this trip. I'm probably going to back off a bit from the 7" big hit bike for trail riding mode that I've been into lately. Perhaps I'm too old to continue pedaling 36 and 41 pound bikes up and down the trails of Moab now in my advanced years...LOL! The Nomad is looking like a good compromise for the way and type of terrain that I like to ride.

mtbr member
    Good review, though it reads more like an ad for Santa Cruz.

I know you just got the bike, but are there any things you're not so thrilled about?

Now riding Fox Shox!
    Jan 2005
    hey ryan!

mtbr member
    Why is there a bolt in a place that can't even pivot?

Just about every single one of us who likes riding uphill and then bombing DH will be having wet dreams about this bike!!!

This sucker is going to cost over $5000 easily, but on the other hand, it can do the Job of 3 bikes, AM, FR and DH.

I've always been a big fan of shorter wheel bases (for flickability). This bike is sure setting a new standard. A 33 lb bike that can huck anything in sight and still rail a hairpin turn? Unreal! Talk about the Ultimate MOAB rig!

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by MicroHuck
    Why is there a bolt in a place that can't even pivot?
    Because it has replaceable dropouts instead of replaceable der. hanger.
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    Because it has replaceable dropouts instead of replaceable der. hanger.
    Ahh nice. I didn't notice the second bolt, looked welded there.

The welds on that bike are freakin beautiful!

See pics of the Blur drop out for more detail of a similar design.

NEWB
    Whether this is just a Santa Cruz advertisement or not I don't care. I have to try/buy one

Old man on a bike
    I gotta say, again, that ano grey is way better looking than the polished and white versions I saw. I thought the Blur LT was tempting, but after reading this....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    There was a Nomad at the race I went to this weekend. I had a quick spin on it and it felt really nice. Felt funny to ride at first but that was because I had just jumped off my IH Sunday...a rather different bike really. Didn't get to go on any trails .....just bunnyhopping round the carpark unfortunately but its a really nice looking bike...... It had the anodized finish which, to me looks far nicer than the polished finish in some of the magazines........

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm

markfield1977- What do you mean by the bike feeling funny. Funny wierd or different. This is one bike that im seriously considering. What size did you ride and what did it have on it, Im curious about the fox van36 with this bike or a 66 with the lower crown. I havent tried a vpp bike yet so how does this differ from what you currently ride? Do you think this bike can really handle some abuse or not? Im hard on bikes. Thanks M.C.

mtbr member
    Hiya M.C.
    When I said "Felt funny to ride at first but that was because I had just jumped off my IH Sunday...a rather different bike really"..... I meant that it felt different. I had been racing my IH Sunday all weekend, which is purely designed for Downhill racing......and when I got a chance to jump on the Nomad and take it for a quick spin, it certainly felt a lot different...but then again I'd expect it to....... It is certainly more of a trail bike (again this is what it seems to be designed for). When I say different...I don't mean in a bad way!!!!!!! The bike certainly felt pretty solid (not that I got to do anything technical on it). As you can see from the picture, the bike had Manitou Nixons on it (this is probably due to the fact the the Japanese distributors for SC also distribute Manitou!!!) so I can't really comment on the Fox 36's!!!!!!! Not sure what size the bike was but guessing it was a small as most bikes that come to Japan are!!! (I had to specially order my Sunday!!!!)...
    Sorry I couldn't be any more helpful.....
    Cheers
    Mark

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Markfield 1977, or anyone else for that matter, is the Nomad as burley of a bike as the 05 Enduro seems to be? I saw on the SC web site that one can mate a triple clamp to it. Just wandering how strong this bike really is, or isnt.
    Thanks M.C.

France
    Sep 2004
    how does the suspension work?
    does it feel smooth, hard .. ?
    Sorry for my english ;-))

all end up here someday
    Before any moron asks, "why is there a suspension seatpost on a full suspension bike?", it's a gravity dropper seatpost. You can raise or drop the saddle 3 inches, on the fly. They kick ass!

LOL! No way man, it's a suspension seatpost with adjustable dampning on the handlebars...
    If I get lost, don't go too fast!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Uhmm......NICE!!

[QUOTE=Slayer77]My Nomad..

Size: Medium
    Top Tube: 22
    Seat Tube: 70
    Head Angle: 68 (depends on tire and fork choice) (mine is 67.5)
    Bottom Bracket: 13.7 (depends on tire and fork choice)

Days ridden: 7
    Crashes: 7

Problems: 0, no problems yet. Since I'm 6'0 I think a large would be in order... The top tube is a bit short for my taste. A through axle option would be nice for those of us that are using the bike for aggressive DH/All Mountain riding.

The Nomad

Santa Cruz has built a bike that meets the needs of someone who would like to use the same ride for everything. Most of us have a plethora bikes for every style of riding; unfortunately we can't always take multiple bikes with us on trips. The Nomad allows us to have a bike that can handle everything, it is a cross between an XC race bike and a full on DH machine. Although the bike is not built specifically for either style of riding it can handle both extremes. The Nomad can be classified as an Aggressive Trail Bike and its geometry lends itself to almost any style of riding.

Well Let me first say that I am shopping for a new bike. I definetly want something that can rip down hill but can still be pushed uphill. I have been looking at the specialized SX Trail which kinda fits what I want , but now looking at the Nomad I think Im pretty convinced. Too bad its not available yet!! You know the weight on it?

Quote Originally Posted by eternal126
    You know the weight on it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Santa Cruz Sponsered Rider

That does sound like it's a killer bike. I saw a prototype being ridden around UCSC a few times.

fwiw....It would really help potential buyers if you let them know that you're sponsered by Santa Cruz Bikes. I would expect a review by a sponsered rider to hold as much weight as a review by a magazine that accepts large advertising dollars from the company that produced the bike.

Forrest, Thanks for writing this up and taking all those photos.

Are there any photos available of Nomads in other colours?

(I emailed Scott @ SC to see if he has any also.)

It's a love/ hate thing
    That creek gap is deceptively far. Are you riding again yet?
    Thanks for the tip on the Canon 20D. It's a sweet camera. I'm still figuring it out..

PS. Your Nomad looks pretty sweet..

www.ihatebikes.net

in Santa Cruz and came off sideways... I tried to put my foot down to keep me upright but it didn't work... No biggie though, it could be worse!

thanks,Forrest

mtbr member

Dude enough already.

Thanks, Forrest

Ok, super dude you got a cool new bike that you can jump. Your so cool, I wish I was as cool as you. I can't wait to smoke you on spindarella

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

whoops

Donno what I'm doing...sorry
    Bother stuffed up see below V V
    Last edited by DAM0; 06-19-2005 at 05:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Ohhh its soooo nice.
    Yay the joys of living in the land down under.
    Won't see the bike for another 6 months at least. Then price will be converted to Australian Dollars + about $2000 more just because thats what they seem to do for all bike products here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Chain slap?

Forrest,

I test rode a Nomad over the weekend - yes, they've got a medium at Wheelworks in Belmont - trans blue and sweet!...

Anyway, I noticed a lot of chain slap when descending or landing a bunny-hop, have you noticed the same on your bike? I wonder if the chain was just too slack? I was in the middle ring.

Aside from that it was an amazing ride. Surprisingly light and a very plush ride. Seemed to climb well, even with just the Float R. Now if they only had it in my size....

banned

Pretty Bike!

Question: is there/will there be a place for a bottle/battery cage?

(Nitpicky, I know, but it's an important question for those of us who ride at night)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Ankle boy...

ankle heal for a few more days. Jumps??? Hmmmmm.... I wouldn't know anything about that. Let's try to hookup!

Thanks dude...

Forrest
    Forrest,

Hey, I rode with Rob on Sunday and he told me about the ankle...Hope you feel better soon. Are...or is it Our...or is it Ore (last fourth trivia) Anyway, are you going to be in Tahoe for the fourth with your lovely wife? The whole Nevitt family will be there again invading the Northstar home of our mutual friend (it's me Andrew). I rode with Rob the other day and he let me try out the Nomad...Even though it was set up for a rider who weighs about thirty pounds more than I do, I was really impressed with the way it rode; not just down the trial but up!! The thing can climb. It climbs like a 25 pound bike and he said it was about 31 pounds. The way it soaks up the bumps and yet still feels nimble, not like the 40 plus pound free ride bikes feel to me, I wish I had some cash to throw down on one.
    Hope to see you up in Northstar for the fourth,
    Andrew

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    It's time to change my bike...Let's face it, it was not a matter of time but of money, as usal. Now that i can afford a new bike, i lend myself toward the free-ride/epic trail bikes, the one type that can bear a full day of up- and down-hills in the Alps. There are not so many options to choose: gemini, six pack and of course the nomad.

I'd prefer the last one. To the happy few who could ride on the nomad, i'd like to know something: due to bmx back ground I manual a lot while descending and like a lively bike. It seems that the nomad's chainstays - as well as in the whole SC line of vpp - are relatively longer than usual. Is the nomad easy to manual, to bunny-up despite the long chainstays?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lifer
    ...Looks like they delt with that protrusion issue that the VP frees had at the BB shell, making it a pain to face. I'll have to stick w my Bullit for now. Any idea on retail $ ?
    I heard it was gonnna be 1850 $

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ???

not a forum admin
    why does the v10 and the nomad use the same shock eye length (8.75) when one is 165mm of travel while the other is 254mm?

Doesn't that suggest something about Joe's article in the Joe's Corner?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    well, the nomad uses a 8.5x2.5 and the v10 uses 8.75x2.75.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

not a forum admin
    Quote Originally Posted by SJensen
    well, the nomad uses a 8.5x2.5 and the v10 uses 8.75x2.75.
    good eye - guess my brain is tired - but still .25 difference in stroke isn't much when considering the difference in actual travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboooy
    I heard it was gonnna be 1850 $
    Um, we've known this for about 3 years now

I remember when I first saw this thread. Triggered massive lust that ended when I finally got to ride one.

I'm geoff. Who are you?
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM0
    Ohhh its soooo nice.
    Yay the joys of living in the land down under.
    Won't see the bike for another 6 months at least. Then price will be converted to Australian Dollars + about $2000 more just because thats what they seem to do for all bike products here.

Don't forget the "This bike has SRAM on it" $80000000000 tax put on bikes in Australia

We may have cool riding but its expensive here hey!
    Hi I'm GiantGeoff. I don't really ride a Giant at all anymore. But I am pretty tall.

Nice to meat you.

moaaar shimz
    WTF.......

Hardcore thread revival just to answer a MRSP we've known for 3 years?

KEEP ROLLING
    slayer 77

congratulations man. i have the same set up a medium nomad i am 5 foot 7" and had a 55mm stem on the front and found the cockpit a little tight as well. It felt like i was going to fall over the front of the bike sometimes, i put a 100mm stem and it feels perfect now. you can also try a thompson layback seat post but i have a feeling its better to keep your weight forward on the nomad as the front washes out a bit with the 160mm fork. I find the DHX air not a very good match for the nomad either it blows threw its travel and sags incorrectly. I am using a float RP23 and find it a much better match, really plush !!! But i am saving for a coil which seems to be the best match for the nomad.

i think a santa cruz tattoo on my forehead is in order !

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Here's the Nomad in black ano'. I'm havin' a blast with it.

moaaar shimz
    This thread must die.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmaddog2u
    Here's the Nomad in black ano'. I'm havin' a blast with it.
    velociraptors on a nomad.....nice

I'm geoff. Who are you?
    Jun 2007
    I have only ever seen 2 Pre 09-Press-Photo Nomads that don't run a 36. Enlighten me.
    Hi I'm GiantGeoff. I don't really ride a Giant at all anymore. But I am pretty tall.

Nice to meat you.

MattSavage
    ...bump...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    wtf why, this thread is utterly ancient.