Saint or RaceFace- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Saint or RaceFace

Okay, real simple: If you could have either crankset, would you go for the Saint or RaceFace Diabolus - and why?

Thanks!

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    Saint because of stiffness and I believe they are lighter

All Mt, DH
    Yes it seems the Saint cranks are lighter by over 100 grams. The paint on the Saints wears off over time but they are great cranks.
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8

mtbr member
    i own both....bought them both brand new. i have to say i like the diabolous better. the saints for some reason make a clicking noise a lot when i pedal. i don't know what it is, i have greased them and everything and they are very tight also. i don't know what the deal is. the diabolous are flawless. the saints are lighter though, but the pedal inserts are removable which i dont understand because there has never been a reason to need them out and they are easily lost if they fall out when the pedals aren't on. the saints paint is also easily scratched while the diabolous has literally no scratchs at all with much more riding. i like both but the saints are more expensive and have given me more of a problem in the long run, which isn't good considering how much you pay. if i didn't have problems with either though, i would like the saints more because of the weight and look.

Premium Member
    Saint because you can get 'em for $175 at JensonUSA and they're lighter. Plus Diablous turns purple and faded.

However I like TruVativ Holzfellers better because outboard bearings aren't as reliable IMHO.

Meh.
    New Holzfellers are outboard bearing.

I would take the Saint. Lighter.

mtbr member
    I have a set of Diabolus and they are wicked. I personally do not like the pinch bolts used on the saints.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    what is the diff between the RF Dioblous and Evolve cranks. the only diff i can fing is that the Dioblous have a life-time warrenty and the Evolves only have a one year warrenty, also that the Evolves are 57g heavier. so what is the diff. i ask cause i am looking for new cranks and i can get the Evolves for like 150, and the Dioblous are 250$. is it really worth the extra 100$?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombrio69
    what is the diff between the RF Dioblous and Evolve cranks. the only diff i can fing is that the Dioblous have a life-time warrenty and the Evolves only have a one year warrenty, also that the Evolves are 57g heavier. so what is the diff. i ask cause i am looking for new cranks and i can get the Evolves for like 150, and the Dioblous are 250$. is it really worth the extra 100$?
    they feel way lighter and stiffer IMO. good point though, also bling factor i suppose. i love mine so im happy.

Florida Rider
    Id get the saints, they are lighter/ stiffer and I like the look of them more than the diabolus, plus, like someone posted above me, they are cheaper.

mtbr member
    The diabolus and evolve cranks both use the same exact metal. The biggest difference I have seen, as a friend of mine runs the evolves, is that the diabolus cranks are cnc'd and that gives them awesome strength and bling factor. They are also bigger all around. The extra money you spend on them is worth it, trust me. Also, you can get 175mm diabolus w/ RF DH ring from beyondbikes.com for $199. I purchased mine from there and they were a bit slow on shipping; however, I live in hawaii and everything is slow getting here so..........

Retread soul rider
    Dec 2005
    get profiles

100% Cheesy Goodness
    put a set of saint cranks on the wifes bike and was floored by how stiff they were. Almost as stiff as my nasty boys on my ht but lighter. Hers have developed a bit of a click which i just remembered about so i gotta fix it before tomorrow. but over all i dig em. I think that they are lighter and stiffer than the RF cranks. I am gonna get a set for my next bike, thats for sure.
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Saints for all the reasons mentioned and better bearings...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I can't afford them, but I'm happy with my Hone cranks

Stand back

I don't think so...

Quote Originally Posted by DHFreak
    The diabolus and evolve cranks both use the same exact metal. The biggest difference I have seen, as a friend of mine runs the evolves, is that the diabolus cranks are cnc'd and that gives them awesome strength and bling factor. They are also bigger all around. The extra money you spend on them is worth it, trust me. Also, you can get 175mm diabolus w/ RF DH ring from beyondbikes.com for $199. I purchased mine from there and they were a bit slow on shipping; however, I live in hawaii and everything is slow getting here so..........
    From what I've heard and from the Raceface website, the Diabolus is made in house in CAN, whereas the Evolve is made out of a lesser alloy overseas.
    And btw, CNC does not add strength, it removes material.
    Diabolus:
    Built in our BC manufacturing facility.
    Manufactured from Optim-Al - one of the strongest, most fatigue resistant aluminum alloys available.

Evolve DH:
    Manufactured from 6066-T6 aluminum, this material is 30% stronger than 6061.

From my experience w/ Diabolus vs. Shimano - the Shimano pinch bolt setup is the quickest and easiest way to remove/ install cranks. Diabolus has a long winded allen head bolt that you have to remove in order to remove the driveside crank arm, and it's a bit of a pain comparatively. Both my Hone and my Diabolus cranks have been trouble free so far.
    And for the guy who says outboard bearings don't last as well - is that from experience? They use larger bearings spread further apart - properly built, there's no reason why they shouldn't outlast any inboard bearing setup.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had RFs and hated them so much that I replaced them with a Hone set now. They simply work!

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    i just picked up that Saint triple set for 175 from Jenson.

they definitely look sic, and are quite light for the beefiness and stiffness they provide.
    Cant wait to throw them on the the new Dirtbag which should be here in a week

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist
    Saint because you can get 'em for $175 at JensonUSA and they're lighter. .

the 07 Saints are even lighter....and stronger
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I'm kind of new to this bike thing so do any of you know if the Saint cranks will fit the 05 stinky dee-lux? The specs show diff rent teeth for the Saint but would that be ok?

Members who have read this thread: 0