Saint 83mm chainline- Mtbr.com
    FM
    mtbr member

New question here. Saint 83mm chainline

I've got two rides on some new saint cranks and the chainline is giving me issues...

• the cranks are 83mm BB and they are on my highline (83mm BB / 150mm rear wheel)
    • I'm running a ISCG blackspire stinger chainguide (so it's not really a factor)
    • I'm running 22t and 36t shimano chainrings, that are fairly new
    • The problem is, the chain doesn't want to stay in, or shift up to the 36.
    • I ran the same rings with raceface evolve DH's with no problems, the saints seem to fit farther out.
    • I am running the BB spacer set-up suggested by shimano (two 2.5mm spacers drive-side, one non-drive).

I am thinking my options are:
    • move one 2.5mm spacer from drive-side to non-drive. This might fix it, but then my cranks will be off-center. (does it really matter?)
    • replace one drive-side 2.5mm spacer with a few thinner spacers, split evenly between both sides (more subtle adjustment).

Anybody else been through this? I'm not really stoked to pull my bb multiple times...
    Last edited by FM; 04-15-2007 at 07:37 PM.

Glad to Be Alive
    I would move one spacer to the other side.....and make sure the cranks are not hitting frame.......if the chain line is good and the cranks hit a little , then just dremel a little off the inside of the crank
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I've got two rides on some new saint cranks and the chainline is giving me issues...

• the cranks are 83mm BB and they are on my highline (83mm BB / 150mm rear wheel)
    • I'm running a ISCG blackspire stinger chainguide (so it's not really a factor)
    • I'm running 22t and 36t shimano chainrings, that are fairly new
    • The problem is, the chain doesn't want to stay in, or shift up to the 36.
    • I ran the same rings with raceface evolve DH's with no problems, the saints seem to fit farther out.
    • I am running the BB spacer set-up suggested by shimano (two 2.5mm spacers drive-side, one non-drive).

I am thinking my options are:
    • move one 2.5mm spacer from drive-side to non-drive. This might fix it, but then my cranks will be off-center. (does it really matter?)
    • replace one drive-side 2.5mm spacer with a few thinner spacers, split evenly between both sides (more subtle adjustment).

Anybody else been through this? I'm not really stoked to pull my bb multiple times...

I have a FSA crank on my Highline and the instructions said to put 2 spacers on the driveside and 0 on the non-driveside. I called to verify this with Jarret at Turner and he said to put 1 drive side and 1 non-driveside. Perhaps the instructions for the Saint are also not spot on for the Highline chainline. I would try shifting the 2.5mm from the driveside to the non-driveside first. Since we're only talking about 1/10" it's not something you're likely going to feel. Hey, when you get a chance could you tell me what modifications you did to your stinger and why. Also, did you use any spacers between the ISCG mounts and the stinger itself or just attach it directly? And how close did you set the guide wheel to the bashguard? I asked you this same question in another thread as well so you don't have to answer twice. Thanks

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory 123
    I would try shifting the 2.5mm from the driveside to the non-driveside first.
    I just did exactly that! Thanks for posting, it sounds like swapping spacers is the trick.

I posted my chainguide mods in the other thread....

Members who have read this thread: 1