Saddle height- Mtbr.com

Thread: Saddle height

mtbr member

Saddle height

I know this has been discussed before, but I wanted to get some more opinions. How high you guys run your saddles for DH? What are the benefits of running a bit higher? I always seem to have probs riding if my saddle is too high. I'm asking this again because I watched the Tipping Point and noticed the higher saddle position on almost every rider. Lookin forward to hearing some input.

mtbr member
    If your going downhill you want to be able to get behind the saddle without getting hung up but at the same time you dont want it slammed all the way down so if you have a pedal section you look like your trying to knee your forehead! So find a good lower neutral position. Better to be a little low then too high and realize at the wrong time.

Thats just what came to mind! LOL its kind of what I ride by.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

clyde in training
    a lot of pro's will ride with their seats a bit higher and wearing clips because they have the ability to ride in an efficient manner that still works in crazy situations. if you're not pro level, it's advised to ride with a lower seat because it's a lot more forgiving for sloppiness.

Locs on Spokez
    Pretty high but still be able to have your feet comfortably flat on the ground when you sit down, helps to be able to crank the bike over with the seat sometimes
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    low enough to put my feet on the ground when sitting and be out of the way when hitting the rough stuff.
    high enough to get the saddle where i like on the thighs when cornering and feel comfortable pedaling sitting down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    People think that I DH with a high seat but I think a lot of it depends on your height. I'm 6'2" and DH clipped in too. Steve Peat, I think, is 6'4" and his seat looks crazy high. Shorter people need a lower seat height. I do think that most people have their seats a little to low most of the time. Experimentation is key. Start too low and bring your seat up a bit. When it gets in the way drop it down a touch. I rode with Andrew Shandro, Tyler Morland and Thomas Vanderhan at SGC the other year and their seats weren't slammed.

slow reeezay
    I ride most comfortably with my saddle relatively high as it gets easier to throw the bike into corners with the inside of your leg........

I normally have it just above the knee when standing flat on pedals, this still allows me to comfortably have both feet flat on the ground, and improves pedalling in the seat
    LIVE TO RIDE, RIDE TO LIVE

2011 On-One 456 Ti

2010 Trek Session 88 custom build

local trails rider
    If you are racing, you might even want different saddle heights for different tracks. Or not: for many, it is best to run whatever you are used to.

I AM I AM
    I think it depends a lot on your height, I'm relatively short 5ft7 and on my Orange 222 I had to run my seat reasonably high to allow for suspension travel (so the rear tyre wouldn't hit the back of the seat), so that could be one reason for high seats (apart from the hieght of the person or the length of their legs etc).

I'm not particularly good at DH so if I could have run my seat slammed all the way down I probably would have (easier to get behind it, and easier to get back on the bike etc)

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew
    If your going downhill you want to be able to get behind the saddle without getting hung up but at the same time you dont want it slammed all the way down so if you have a pedal section you look like your trying to knee your forehead! So find a good lower neutral position. Better to be a little low then too high and realize at the wrong time.

Thats just what came to mind! LOL its kind of what I ride by.
    Anyone ever see any 'pros' use a drop-post?
    I haven't, but it seems like if you were in tune w/ one (timing) it could be really beneficial.

It would be sweet to see someone ripping down a hill and poppin' the saddle up and down for different segments.
    The post would have to cycle like 20-30 times? (depending on the course...of course )
    maybe I missed it...
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Members who have read this thread: 0