Rubber Queen vs Minions DH?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Rubber Queen vs Minions DH?

I seen few posts about RQ tires, but none of them were talking about full DH use, so ...

I have set of Maxxis DHfs 2.5 and it's almost toast after a season, so while I still can get some local milege on it, I need to look for replacement before the season opens at N* and Mammoth.

Im eyeing RQ tubeless version as they are lighter and seems may roll bit faster. Conti also going all around how those tires are sporting reinforced walls and stuff.

Anyone had a experience on those for DHing? Will be traction less then Stick-E compound?

Thanks.
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalk
    I seen few posts about RQ tires, but none of them were talking about full DH use, so ...

I have set of Maxxis DHfs 2.5 and it's almost toast after a season, so while I still can get some local milege on it, I need to look for replacement before the season opens at N* and Mammoth.

Im eyeing RQ tubeless version as they are lighter and seems may roll bit faster. Conti also going all around how those tires are sporting reinforced walls and stuff.

Anyone had a experience on those for DHing? Will be traction less then Stick-E compound?

Thanks.
    The rubber queen is a nice tire.The lighter weight rules, better in mud/wet conditions than minion. The sidewall is stiff and there similiar to the 2.5 ust minion. The size 2.4 rq is same maybe little bit larger.

The RQ seem to be holding up better and seem like they will last longer than the minion.

Have yet to try the rubber queen in super dry conditions like mammoth or n*

I am using the 2.4 tubeless version.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i was curious about the conti tires...but then i looked up prices... $70+ for a tire.

Locs on Spokez
    Quote Originally Posted by brillantesdv
    i was curious about the conti tires...but then i looked up prices... $70+ for a tire.
    Hahaha, that just happened to me as well... over that
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    rubber queen lol, is it me or does that sound incredibly kinky!!!!

mtbr member
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/S...h=rubber+queen
    they're about 40++ here and it's free shipping if you and your buds can get an order out that goes above a certain amount.

mtbr member
    This thread peaked my interest. If I wanted to get this tire for FR/DH and I have non-ust rims (I have sun equalizer 31's). Would I want to go with the UST tire anyway because it is a little thicker (and perhaps stronger), and would it mount on a non-ust rim? (Sorry I'm not familar with the UST tire bead). Currently I'm running tubeless with a rim strip and sealant.

Or would it not make a difference and get the standard 2.4" version because it's lighter.

I figure the extra 200g in the UST version must come from an extra layer of rubber to make it air tight (which may have the side effect of making the tire stronger?)

Right now I'm running Dual Ply Minions 2.5 and have had no issues with them, but the idea of saving a pound or two from switching tires sounds good. I only want to do it if these tires are strong.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You can run either UST or regular version with tubes on the regular rim. I'm actually considering going with regular version and mount it UST with sealant, but this 200g extra may worth it, especially since I'm coming from heavy DHFs anyway.

I'll just probably would endup with two tires version and try them out anyway

Well, I paid more for minion than the RQ. Ow well before I knew of crc.

LBS quoted 105 each for the RQ. Fdat!

Wanted to give little more info since there isnt much yet.

German tire test rated Big betty the best in traction and rubber queen next down. I wanted to test the rubber queen because I thought it would work better in the wet (also cheaper price than schwalbe)

When researching the RQ I didnt find any useable information. Only reviewed by non dh type rider. So I had to test em out.

Was between the Schwalbe Big Betty/Fat Albert and the Rubber Queen for a DH capable tire than is lighter/ easier to pedal up hills. Yet still would hold up to smashing into rocks full bore. (Comparing to minion /high roller 2.5 ust)

The tubeless version does have a much thicker and stronger sidewall. I am comparing to a 2.2 non tubeless.

I am over 200 and I need a strong sidewall. The 2.4 RQ tires are handmade in germany and use extra soft black chili compound. Seem to hold up better/longer than ST and grips good.

I can really push the tire into berms. They will slide then stick similiar to minion.

There are 2 knob along the center that dig in. vs on a minion your riding up on a center row of knobs.

They do have that monster truck feel but not excessively slow rolling. I am coming from minion / high roller and would say that is fast tolling combo but RQ is faster. (but may because I lost a pound)

I drop the psi to 20-25 and try and try pry the tire off the rim with my hands.They are as stiff or little stiffer than the Minion 2.5 ust.

So far I have only used the RQ in the wet and mud. They shed the mud really well. Did some riding in salinas where it was sandy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalk
    You can run either UST or regular version with tubes on the regular rim. I'm actually considering going with regular version and mount it UST with sealant, but this 200g extra may worth it, especially since I'm coming from heavy DHFs anyway.

I'll just probably would endup with two tires version and try them out anyway
    Well where I ride there are a lot of rocks, and sometimes I'm going through them really fast, also we have a bunch of jumps which I do more than my share of casing them. 850g for a tire just seems too light to be able to handle that much abuse. Even 1050g seems to light, but more believable if there has been some advances in tech. I figure if I could mount that UST tire on a standard rim using Stans that would be the way to go. But I don't want to drop $100+ on tires unless I'm pretty sure they'll work out.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nice review. Gonna try them out.

Members who have read this thread: 0