Rotor size- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rotor size

fight the system

Rotor size

anyone running 185mm rotors for DH or is 200mm pretty much the only way to go?
    If you believe that I've got some magic beans to sell ya.

My arm hurts a little
    Quote Originally Posted by jakomonster
    anyone running 185mm rotors for DH or is 200mm pretty much the only way to go?
    There is never a "pretty much the only way to go" in bikes, everyone dose something different.

I used to run 200's around the board but I always bend the hell out of them becase they stick out to far.

I'm currently on 8in front 6in rear. I really don't feel any power loss moving to the 6 rear but much better modulation (sp?). But I think once you get to a 200+ rider you should be running 8's for the stoping power and cooling.
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

fight the system
    I'm a lightweight but I'm running 6" rotors cause at the time i needed something dirt cheap when i built up my bike and it was my only option. I need to get something bigger at least in the front but was worried about
    I used to run 200's around the board but I always bend the hell out of them becase they stick out to far.
    I might just gamble and try a 185 in the front, cant be worse than what i have now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    200mm here.

dontcha?
    203mm all around.. but I bent up my rear 203 and swapping to 185 once i get a adapter/new pads/rotor.
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    I'm running Codes with 185mm both ends after using 200mm for years, couldn't be happier.

Peace Coast Style
    I was going to get 180mm front and 160mm rear for my hardtail, but i got 180mm for both. I don't really notice a substantial difference in power at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    Ever slip a pedal and slam into the seat? That little thing would disappear until I later got to the ER.

i drink shower water
    i switched to 185mm due to my 200's always bending and being noisy. now i run my juicy sevens with 185mm on my DH bike and i love it. i just put the same set up on my AM bike.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

Addicted
    May 2006
    I like running the 203mm up front. It gives me power without making it feel like I really have to yank full force on the levers. I dont have strong fingers at all so I have to have very responsive brakes, but still provide good modulation.
    For the rear I'm running 165mm to help limit the amount of times that I'm locking up the rear brake.

I may try a 185mm front on my new bike. We'll see.

-Kevin

Disco-Superfly
    dual 203's for me
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

thats not to steep is it?
    im running juicy sevens with dual 203's
    07' fsr xc pro
    06' bighit2
    05 hardrock comp set up as a dj bike
    02 fat boy hemi

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I run dual 185 Juicy 7s. 225+ gear so I ain't light. Never had a problem with stopping or brake fade with this setup, more AM riding than downhill, but they have seen 7 mile downhill runs and never skipped a beat.

mtbr member
    Dual 185's for me but without my Galfer rotors I'd probably want 203's - choice of rotor is critical the smaller you go. My M3 sits low so that was a factor in my decision. Anyone running 203's on an M3 with clearance issues? SMT?

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

fight the system
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086
    Dual 185's for me but without my Galfer rotors I'd probably want 203's - choice of rotor is critical the smaller you go. My M3 sits low so that was a factor in my decision. Anyone running 203's on an M3 with clearance issues? SMT?

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Uh, it doesnt matter how low you bike sits, the rotor is attached to the hub so all bikes have the same rotor ground clearance unless you are running a different sized wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I run a 6" rear rotor and a 7" front rotor on my Boxxer using Code calipers. I had to fashion my own 7" Boxxer adapter but it works great.

check your six
    KaKah!,
    You said "I run a 6" rear rotor and a 7" front rotor on my Boxxer using Code calipers. I had to fashion my own 7" Boxxer adapter but it works great."

I had to fabricate a 7" adapter for my Boxxer as well, ans might I say,,.. what a bitcch that was. But in the interest of the poster,... I run 6" in the rear rotor and 7" up front.

I see alot of fellas who bend the hell out of their 200mm's all the time. I am not made of money so I went with the classic 6"

mtbr member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jakomonster
    Uh, it doesnt matter how low you bike sits, the rotor is attached to the hub so all bikes have the same rotor ground clearance unless you are running a different sized wheel.
    True but, hey, I was drinking when I posted that!!! LOL! But a lower center of gravity will definitley cause more damage to the rotor on rock impact, all else being equal, as the force vector becomes much greater (I have had some physics, lol) and THAT is my weak attempt to save face.

Have FUN!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    if you have a bit of time (15mins or more) you can usually bend your rotors back to perfect after they hit something.

i just cover my rotor with a buisiness card or something then grab it with pliers and using short strokes pull the opposite way that it is bent. ive done it a bunch, once after i got hit by a car...
    god built south dakota saying "i dont want anybody to ride MTB here, im going to make it suck ass." so it sucks ass Luke 4:2

mtbr member
    you shouldnt feel much difference in the rear but you should in the front because the back just slides even when you dont press on the brakes hard. Im light so that might be why.

StraightOuttaCompton
    Running the hfx 9 hd w/ 203mm rotors
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    203 Front, 185 Rear on both of my big bikes. Seems to work quite well.

~~~~~~~~
    I'd like to run the new codes but hearing the 203 rotor is way too much brake and since it would be going on a totem 203 is the only option. funny how that works out...

Members who have read this thread: 0