Rockshox Domain 318- Mtbr.com
    Its got what plants crave

Rockshox Domain 318

My first choice was a Van 36 but I can buy a Domain 318 brand new for what I'd pay used for a Fox. Anyway, are these forks any good? They've got a solid review here on MTBR but I try not to put too much stock into that. The one thing I'm curious about is the preload. Is the preload externally adjustable? Right now I've got a Nixon Elite that has no external preload and I hate it. My other question is about how plush the fork will be. I love the Vanillas from Fox because they're so damn plush and I'm looking for that from this fork. I want good small bump sensitivity.

Edit: Also, at 160 pounds, will I need to change the spring or will the one it comes with work well for me?

mtbr member

318 Love

I bought an '07 bullit with a domain 318 and I can honestly say that being a pure hater of Rockshox products in the past, this fork is super plush and solid. The QR 20mm thru axle is an incredibly cool design and makes front wheel removal a breeze. I am a big guy and had to replace the stock springs but it was well worth the 30 bones to do it. The only compaint I have with this fork is that the compression damping seems to be either full on or full off. Cheers

mtbr member
    as long as there are a decent amount of reviews, i always put a lot of stock in the reviews on here
    '05 p.2
    tryin to have fun on a college budget, and doin a pretty good job of it

mtbr member
    Jim, first off, Call Chad at Red Barn. I just got a Talas from him for a great price

second, RS (and most companies) have the forks set up stock for 160-180lb riders, so if you go with coil, it should be pretty close to what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by BiGWaVeDave
    I bought an '07 bullit with a domain 318 and I can honestly say that being a pure hater of Rockshox products in the past, this fork is super plush and solid. The QR 20mm thru axle is an incredibly cool design and makes front wheel removal a breeze. I am a big guy and had to replace the stock springs but it was well worth the 30 bones to do it. The only compaint I have with this fork is that the compression damping seems to be either full on or full off. Cheers

Thanks for the info. I definitely like the QR20. My biggest concern is that it wouldn't have great small bump sensitivity but if people are saying it's plush and stiff it's hard not to at least consider it since you seem to get a bunch of features for the money. I'm having a hard time dropping 600+ on a fork but 450 or so seems much more bearable.

moaaar shimz
    If you can find a used 66 for that much go for it, its better than a Domain, but for 450 the Domain is a great fork...

Quote Originally Posted by el_chupo_
    Jim, first off, Call Chad at Red Barn. I just got a Talas from him for a great price

second, RS (and most companies) have the forks set up stock for 160-180lb riders, so if you go with coil, it should be pretty close to what you need.

Any contact info for this Chad guy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Any contact info for this Chad guy?

http://www.redbarnbicycles.com/parts.html

Email him at the link on the bottom of the page.

rr
    I don't do PC
    2 thumbs up for the Domain, I've had one for a year on my RFX and really enjoy it, plenty stiff. The stock spring was too soft for me at 200lbs so I went with the stiffer spring. No preload adj but the low speed comp adj has a noticable and wide range of adjustment, at 160lbs I doubt you would need any preload adj with the stock spring, if you want uber plush you might even want a softer spring which is easy to install. The UTurn is great as well, I use mine constantly for the trail rides.

moaaar shimz
    Everybody loves El Chad

So you guys don't think the preload adjustment is a big deal?

mtbr member
    I really wouldnt worry too much. first off, does your current fork have it, and do you use it? If thats a legit concern, dont get the fork, but otherwise...

Second, the fork is already set up for a guy your size. Shouldnt require too much to get it feeling pretty good.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Rock shox does include preload spacers with there new forks. They are the little round black spacer that come in the bag with the owners manual. The fork springs can be shimmed with the right size washer too.

Meh.
    They typically include travel spacers, not preload spacers. There isn't really a way to add preload to the u-turn system unless you machine a sleeve to press into both the lowers and the u-turn base.

Quote Originally Posted by 02sedona
    Rock shox does include preload spacers with there new forks. They are the little round black spacer that come in the bag with the owners manual. The fork springs can be shimmed with the right size washer too.

This is good news! I don't really care if it's internally adjustable or not as long as it can be adjusted. I used the function on my 32 Vanilla but that was pretty much a set it and forget it kind of thing.

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    If you can find a used 66 for that much go for it, its better than a Domain, but for 450 the Domain is a great fork...
    I had a 66 rc2x for about a year and now have a Domain 318 IS... and I think the Domain kills it. Just as stiff, but I much prefer the compression adjustment on the Domain. It allows it to ride higher in the travel but still remain plush, and it still takes the big hits without harsh bottom out. Overall, I just think it rides better.

Why do you say the 66 is better?

Not trying to nitpick, but I hate it when people say "X is better, Y sucks" without giving any reason.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here's a review on nsmb.com:\
    http://www.nsmb.com/gear/domain_review_10_07.php

I had a domain 318 on a Transition Syren I demoed. I found it to be pretty stiff, but still responsive. I didn't use it long enough to play with the adjustments.

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If you're interested... I can sell you my used 07 Domain 318IS U-Turn for pretty cheap...

PM me if you're down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bao
    If you're interested... I can sell you my used 07 Domain 318IS U-Turn for pretty cheap...

PM me if you're down.

PM sent.

Hisforever
    i like the domain pretty good so far.

been rockin one for about 4 months. no issues showing at all.

Moxie HT
    Orbea Rallon (fo sale)
    sb 130/150
    Evil Undead/Calling
    Yz 250x

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    If you are climbing, I would go for the one with the travel adjust. Here's a pretty good review I found.

http://www.nsmb.com/gear/gear_shots35_08_07.php

Yeah, I think I'm going to get the u-turn. Is it true that it takes like 500 turns of the knob to change the travel? Either way, for not much more I'm going to get it. That's a function that even the 36 doesn't have.

Meh.
    Yeah, you have to turn the knob a bunch to get the travel all the way down, but it's lets you fine tune it.

There's the 36 Talas, I think the older models adjusted travel in 3mm increments.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    I had a 66 rc2x for about a year and now have a Domain 318 IS... and I think the Domain kills it. Just as stiff, but I much prefer the compression adjustment on the Domain. It allows it to ride higher in the travel but still remain plush, and it still takes the big hits without harsh bottom out. Overall, I just think it rides better.

Why do you say the 66 is better?

Not trying to nitpick, but I hate it when people say "X is better, Y sucks" without giving any reason.

I own one and I have played enough with the Domain to say that the 66 kills it. They feel equally as stiff, the 66 feels lighter and with better damping.

Members who have read this thread: 0