Rockshox boxxer team or 888 rc2x?- Mtbr.com
    Thevpfreerider

Rockshox boxxer team or 888 rc2x?

So my new vp free is coming next week, and im super stoked. I ordered it with a manitou travis and was planning on upgrading to a 888rc2x, but today I learn that the build kit has changed and im actually getting a boxxer team. I know that this is a way better fork than the travis, but I still kinda dream for the 888. So my question is a simple one; Should i keep the boxxer team or just upgrade to the 888 rc2x? Which is better and why?

mtbr member
    well the 06 boxxers are looking great. alot of new technology this year from what i heard. im not sure on the specifics of the team version but you should look for it at www.sram.com the 888rc2x seems like it would be a better fork then the boxxer team because its the top of the line 888 compared to the mid line boxxer. if you can get a deal on the 888 do it. i ride a 888r with flat crowns and its the perfect height/feel on my m1. i wouldn't ride anything else. the only problem is that 888s are super high. my friend has an 05 rc on his bullit and the things raised up sky high in the front. i heard the rc2x has flat crowns but i don't know if they lower the height. if you get the rc2x definetly think about lowering the front. it may not feel way bad but the lower front end really makes a huge difference

SMT Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Thevpfreerider
    So my new vp free is coming next week, and im super stoked. I ordered it with a manitou travis and was planning on upgrading to a 888rc2x, but today I learn that the build kit has changed and im actually getting a boxxer team. I know that this is a way better fork than the travis, but I still kinda dream for the 888. So my question is a simple one; Should i keep the boxxer team or just upgrade to the 888 rc2x? Which is better and why?
    both are fantastic shiz

just ride..... have fun

Stand back

How?

How do you know the Boxxer is a way better fork than the Travis? Have you ridden either?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Thevpfreerider

let me rephrase...

You're right. I dont actually know if the boxxer is any better than the travis but I hear that the boxxer team is incredible while everything that manitou makes is complete garbage. Plus, there are only two adjustments on the travis compared to like four on the boxxer. I guess I should watch my wording...

Innovate or die!
    hey piece of advice on the boxxer if u use it- CHANGE THE OIL. The stuff they ship with is complete crap, and internals shed metal shavings like crazy in the breakin, all my buds with boxxers say it is truly a gigantic difference if u change the oil to synthetic (fox racing shox) or purified high quality oil. Ride it a few days, change that stuff out.

Here is the dealio----- both forx are gonna do well. Another cool thing is that both forx can be upgraded. Mojo and BOS engineering offer improved cartridges for the 888 to fix the damping, and they take off 3/4 to 1 pound depending which springs. I don't think people offer upgrades for new boxxers out of the box, but someone like TF or mojo will drill out the damping, change your shims, and valve it bling. most people don't need this treatment, but hey its an option. Any fork in the world can be made super nice unless there is some major design flaw, i have heard good things about NEW both boxxer and 888's, but so far the only fork that comes stock with what would be a custom machine/valve job on another is the fox 40. Try the boxxer out for a couple of days, if it feels good, why change unless u really want the 888. u choose.
    170mm profile crankset, silver king headset barely used, new blackspire chainguide, old version hope mini brakes---- all for sale at i-wanna-get-rid-of-it prices. I'm gone all of july after the 10th, other than that PM me if interested.

mtbr member
    You're right. I dont actually know if the boxxer is any better than the travis but I hear that the boxxer team is incredible while everything that manitou makes is complete garbage. Plus, there are only two adjustments on the travis compared to like four on the boxxer. I guess I should watch my wording...

i don't mean to really nit pick at you for what you say but there has been nothing proven wrong with the travis so don't say that its garbage until there's proof. until someone who isn't sponsored actually owns one we won't have a real opinion on the travis, and it will take more then one rider to really have an idea to what the fork is like.

In FTF We Trust
    but I hear that...everything that manitou makes is complete garbage.
    Man, more classic internet knowledge. Every company makes good forks and probably some not-so-good forks (that come on $300 bikes). I've been satisfied with forks from all the big fork companies (Rock Shox, Manitou and Marzocchi), can't say as I've ridden anything from Fox, but they seem to have a good rep. I'd agree with the opinion that you should actually ride the bike as it comes. Ride it for a while and give it a thorough beating. If you're not happy with the fork, then sell it and buy another. Oh, and it doesn't matter how many adjustments that fork has unless you actually regularly fiddle with them. Even then, you have a better chance of messing up the way the fork rides than improving it .
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    i have a slider i got used.. lots o miles on it,, no probs here.

Glad to Be Alive
    friends don't let friends ride boxxers
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    [QUOTE=SHIVER ME TIMBERS]friends don't let friends ride boxxers[/QUOTE
    damn right. and remembur when ever a Boxxer is bought a poor helpless and defensless puppy is ruthlessly murdered. little kitties are killed also but no body cares about them.

"In Marzocchi We Trust"

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    friends don't let friends ride boxxers
    i dunno, i have a new faith int hem after riding my pike for a while. yes, before rockshox sucked. but ever since SRAM bought them and totaly revamped everything they've been doin pretty hot. i dunno i really like my pike and expect to really like my boxxer team.

so my vote is for the boxxer.

mtbr member
    yo vpfreerider you dont need to keep starting threads about each upgrade/change/new spec/random thought concerning your bike. im now counting three threads for one concept. annoying. like i already said ride the damn thing. your question here should have been another post in your first thread, not its own waste-of-time thread. are we gonna see a series of threads about this bike and your upgraditis? the way your asking these questions in these threads i doubt you have even had enough dirt time to even comprehend the answers. go out and ride a bike that is obviously beyond you for a few weeks. and i mean ride. ride with good riders who push you. then tell us if you really need any upgrades. i think your just talking crrrap out the side of your assss. if you really sponsored you would know what upgrades you would need based on the spec. or you would have skilled riding buds (or shop wrenches and managers that sponsor you) that could answer these questions in seconds. and if you were sponsored i doubt you would get a vpfree for racing and hucking that was stock. you would use your deals, get a frame (and prolly a different one if any racing is to be done) only and buy part by part and spend the same as stock complete bike santa cruz "deals". but hey your sponsored i bet you already know this.

i wish the mods would delete multiple threads on the same topic at the same time by the same person just to show people how to use the forum properly.
    Divide Bike Bags

Giant STP 06
    I've heard Push is going to be doing upgrades for rock shox soon

mtbr member
    SRAM has made rockshox much better. i love my PIKE

SMT Supporter
    please don't compare boxxer with 888s.

Taiwan VS Bologna

kona-tize me captain
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    i dunno, i have a new faith int hem after riding my pike for a while. yes, before rockshox sucked. but ever since SRAM bought them and totaly revamped everything they've been doin pretty hot. i dunno i really like my pike and expect to really like my boxxer team.

so my vote is for the boxxer.

i cant belive you man! its all about the marzocchi. even though your putting a boxxer on your m3 haha. its because the 888 doesnt fit it right? why dont you use that grinder and make it fit.jk
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

Thevpfreerider
    Quote Originally Posted by dream4est
    yo vpfreerider you dont need to keep starting threads about each upgrade/change/new spec/random thought concerning your bike. im now counting three threads for one concept. annoying. like i already said ride the damn thing. your question here should have been another post in your first thread, not its own waste-of-time thread. are we gonna see a series of threads about this bike and your upgraditis? the way your asking these questions in these threads i doubt you have even had enough dirt time to even comprehend the answers. go out and ride a bike that is obviously beyond you for a few weeks. and i mean ride. ride with good riders who push you. then tell us if you really need any upgrades. i think your just talking crrrap out the side of your assss. if you really sponsored you would know what upgrades you would need based on the spec. or you would have skilled riding buds (or shop wrenches and managers that sponsor you) that could answer these questions in seconds. and if you were sponsored i doubt you would get a vpfree for racing and hucking that was stock. you would use your deals, get a frame (and prolly a different one if any racing is to be done) only and buy part by part and spend the same as stock complete bike santa cruz "deals". but hey your sponsored i bet you already know this.

i wish the mods would delete multiple threads on the same topic at the same time by the same person just to show people how to use the forum properly.

You know, Dream4est, you dont actually have to read the thread, so dont b!tch about me postin them. And do you even know what it means to be sponsored by a shop? aparently not, because its not like they just give you equipment, they sell it to you at a drastically reduced price (mine's 50% off). They specifically asked me to ride the vpfree for them because thats one of their biggest investments. And you know, lots of other threads on this site ask for tips on upgrades, so why dont you go whine to them too? And how can you tell that i dont have a lot of dirt time under my belt just by a couple questions about what fork i should get? Ive been riding/racing since i was three, bro. Could you even walk at that age? Oh, and hook me up wit one of those dreamforest dirt jump bikes. Can i get a rainbow paint job with fairy dust sprinkled in it for good luck?
    Last edited by Thevpfreerider; 02-04-2006 at 05:19 PM.

Thevpfreerider
    Alright, I've decided to keep the boxxer. They sound like they're a pretty good fork, so im not going to bother with swapping them out. Thanks alot for your help everyone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    You know, Dream4est, you dont actually have to read the thread, so dont b!tch about me postin them. And do you even know what it means to be sponsored by a shop? aparently not, because its not like they just give you equipment, they sell it to you at a drastically reduced price (mine's 50% off). They specifically asked me to ride the vpfree for them because thats one of their biggest investments. And you know, lots of other threads on this site ask for tips on upgrades, so why dont you go whine to them too? And how can you tell that i dont have a lot of dirt time under my belt just by a couple questions about what fork i should get? Ive been riding/racing since i was three, bro. Could you even walk at that age? Oh, and hook me up wit one of those dreamforest dirt jump bikes. Can i get a rainbow paint job with fairy dust sprinkled in it for good luck?

well i dont udnerstand why your biek shop woudl sponser you, for two main reasons.

1) if someone voices there opinion you liek to jump down their thorat( as displaye din above post)

2) i woudl assume a bike shop wants to sponser sumone who is failrly knowldgable about bikes and what not, someone who does not need to refer to the members of a public forum for adive on how to set up their bike.

mtbr member

1. no one ever mentioned anything about free bikes. thats a factory ride, not a shop sponsorship. many here know exactly what im talking about, but let me tell you kid bragging online that you can get cost or close to cost deals and then asking us a bunch of stupid questions and then getting all cocky has been done here before. most dont come back. you will see why. they get destroyed (ohio is the best example).
    2. yes there are others asking advice, but harldy any who keep posting a new thread each time the scenario changes.
    3. if you have been riding racing since 3 we would not be hearing any questions or seeing any defense mechanisms exhibited.
    4. i can barely walk right now at 35 but i could outjump you in my sleep. im not even that good. but i know that i dont need anyone to tell me what parts to upgrade or what fork to use or how to build a jump lip or where the nearest freeride trail is. i figure it out on my own. that how its done. well unless when youve been riding from age 3. and sponsored. and obviously a slave to the madison avenue gurus who run your model year upgrade fest life.
    Divide Bike Bags

bpuodt
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    friends don't let friends ride pre-2006 boxxers
    There, fixed it for ya!

2006 models are a whole new fork.
    EYE HAM SOFA KING WE TODD ID.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongiafer
    please don't compare boxxer with 888s.

Taiwan VS Bologna
    italy vs. cowshi t
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    i cant belive you man! its all about the marzocchi. even though your putting a boxxer on your m3 haha. its because the 888 doesnt fit it right? why dont you use that grinder and make it fit.jk
    but i <3 my pike too haha

nah man dont get me wrong marzocchi is still pretty nasty. but Rockshox new sh!t is very very hot. i dunno, i havent ridden it yet but we'll see. i have high hopes for it. i could of jsut run an 05 upper crown with the 888 but yeah i figured id give teh boxxer a shot. it was significantly cheaper then the 888 too which is always nice. lighter too, not to be a weight weenie but still, cheaper, lighter, and possibly equal or better performance, cant go wrong there.

we'll see though, worst case, your right, i can just grind down my head tube you can do that on bikes right, its safe? it'll just save weight?

Thevpfreerider

yeah, okay

Alright, I admit it. I way overreacted to that comment by dream4est. I was really pissed off that night and then it just seemed like he was going after me for nothin. now that i read it again, i see his point. My bad, y'all.

Members who have read this thread: 0