Rockgardn Flak sizing help- Mtbr.com
    The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009

New question here. Rockgardn Flak sizing help

6'3", 195lbs
    43in chest
    34in waist

The only measurements on the website suggest a size Large would fit my chest. However, I have big arms and shoulders. Typically shirts that fit my chest are loose in the belly area, but tight across my upper back and shoulder blades and tight around my biceps.

Can anybody advise on how tight these suits run, or how adjustable they are? I haven't been able to find any to try on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I used a Flak Jacket for 2 seasons. They tend to run big in the chest area and a looser fit all-round. I had an XL (46" chest / 34" waist / 6'0 ) and it was pretty roomy all over but way too big in the chest. I had to wear a polypro t-shirt under it to keep my nipples from being torn to shreds, due to the movement of the chest area.

I would not worry about the back being too tight. There are straps for adjusting shoulder pads front and rear and a good amount of flexibility there. Mine was a little loose in the belly area, but the adjustable waist belt made it easy to remove any slack.

The biceps and arm pieces are pretty stretchy and have elastic at the ends so they conform pretty easily to your arms.

Overall the Flak Jacket has awesome coverage and I felt pretty safe wearing it.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    L will be fine

Im 6'2" 210 and I wear large.

pretty dissapointed in it though
    The mountains are calling and I must go

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan55
    L will be fine

Im 6'2" 210 and I wear large.

pretty dissapointed in it though
    Could you elaborate on your disappointment?

Uphill? What's that
    I have used the flak jacket for the last 2 years and love it. I have gone down hard in some pretty nasty rock gardens and and the flak jacket did it's job nicely. I think a large should fit you..

I gotta pee
    Evan what are you disappointed in? OP i'd suggest a large, but if you're really not sure call Rockgardn. The owner will happily discuss sizing with you

mtbr member
    6'4" 200 lbs and my Large fits me great. It is a light tight on the biceps, which makes for some difficultly taking it off. Other than that, no complaints.
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have the new-er 2010+ "leatt compatible" version, but they arent what i would call leatt compatible, you cant zip it up all the way and the leatt still interferes with the chest plates. its still wearable, but they definitely arent made for each other.

the chest pads are attached via stretchy spandex which moves around in a crash. i got a a rib bruise last year right under where the chest pad should have been when i fell hard and the pad moved out of the way.

other than that they have the typical rockgardn bombproof construction quality. holding it in your hands you can tell its a serious peice of equipment. hopefully they will fix these issues soon because it has the potential to be the perfect set of armor.
    The mountains are calling and I must go

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s
    Could you elaborate on your disappointment?
    Thrasher,
    The only thing I did not like about the Flak Jacket was its ability to retain heat. This suit is hot on a warm day. As mentioned I had to wear a T-shirt under it, and a jersey over it to keep from looking like a Mad Max extra.

I sold it and went to the POC VPD-Tee which is much cooler, but does not offer as much total coverage as the Flak Jacket.

mtbr member
    Both good points I should have mentioned and worth commenting....

Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker
    Thrasher,
    The only thing I did not like about the Flak Jacket was its ability to retain heat. This suit is hot on a warm day.
    I agree, but I am a overly sweating fool anyway.... I sweat the same in an ordinary Tshirt or any other brand of armor.

Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker
    total coverage as the Flak Jacket.
    That's really the primary reason I bought mine.
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

mtbr member
    May 2008
    where can i buy one of these? i can't find a large anywhere...any ideas i need one quick!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Jenson USA. I got mine for 99.00

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Call rockgardn and see what the lead time is in the new design (segment 7?)
    Looks like built in nipple protection...that'll save you from having to wear a t-shirt underneath.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wisbike View Post
    where can i buy one of these? i can't find a large anywhere...any ideas i need one quick!
    The new 2012 version should be available by 7/8-7/11... very modular, and allows you to select the jacket size and back length as separate items for a more customized fit.

Members who have read this thread: 0