Rocker arm extensions for Stinky- Mtbr.com
    Don't skid

Rocker arm extensions for Stinky

I have heard of rocker arm extensions for Kona Stinkys to increase rear travel. Has anyone heard of this and where can I find about about it. I checked the Kona website and can't find $hit. I actually have a Cioler and want to increase the 5in of travel.

i should be working
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    I have heard of rocker arm extensions for Kona Stinkys to increase rear travel. Has anyone heard of this and where can I find about about it. I checked the Kona website and can't find $hit. I actually have a Cioler and want to increase the 5in of travel.
    i think its either Dangerboy CNC or BETD that makes them. they might not have anything out for the coiler now, plenty of stuff for the stinky's and stab's. might fit.

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rpl3000
    i think its either Dangerboy CNC or BETD that makes them. they might not have anything out for the coiler now, plenty of stuff for the stinky's and stab's. might fit.
    wuts the site for Dangerboy CNC and BETD, I have a Stinky and want to upgrade the travel

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikity China
    wuts the site for Dangerboy CNC and BETD, I have a Stinky and want to upgrade the travel
    http://www.dangerboycnc.com/
    or www.dangerboyusa.com

Don't skid
    Hey thanks rpl. I emailed dangerboy and waiting for the response. Six inches on my Coiler would be sweet. Anybody think a one inch increase in rear suspension is worth it for $190?

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    sweet! i could get 8 in for my stinky! thats worth it thanks man for the info

i should be working
    Hey thanks rpl. I emailed dangerboy and waiting for the response. Six inches on my Coiler would be sweet. Anybody think a one inch increase in rear suspension is worth it for $190?
    no way, put that money into a killer wheelset.

Cynical Bystander
    Coilers are the same frame as the 01ish Stinkies I believe. So it should fit.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I had a 2001 Stinky Primo with BETD plates on it and had no problems but it will void your warranty. The plates were sweet looking and increased my travel from 5 to 7inches. The install was a breeze also and what a differance it made, my bike was way plusher. It also changed the head angle,BB height and wheel base.My brother has a 2002 Stinky Primo and he has DangerBoy links on his. I think the DangerBoy links looked a little better as far as looks go but thickness and beefiness looked about equal. If you are wanting a plusher ride and more travel you won't be dissapointed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    i have a 02 stinky. will i have to replace the rear shock? i have a fox vanilla. won't i need a longer shock? also i have a wedge fork. so i would have to get a new one. can't have 6 in back and 5 up front. what fork would you go with. around 450 or less. i could go used too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hey northoceanbeach,

to be honest with you, i'd worry about some of the other things on your bike before upgrading an inch of travel. First, as you mentioned, get rid of that Wedge fork and get something with at least one HSCV in it (Z1FR, Z150, SuperT), used if you can find a good one, or on a model closeout which should start happening soon. You may be able to upgrade the internals, I'm not sure, but it would maybe be the cheapest option. Second, send that rear shock into Push industries and get it set up for you.

There, now you have an awesome bike. Quality of travel is way more important than the amount of travel. I'd take a Z1FR over a JrT any day (assuming it doesn't bugger up the geometry too much). BTW, there's nothing intrisically wrong with having 6" in the back and 5" up front, as long as the geometry and suspension setups are good.

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Don't Do It!

I had a BETD link on my Stinky Primo, and it destroyed my swingarm. Here's what I figured out. The BETD links are flat, and the stock plates have a slight curve (the left one was the real problem). What happened was, the rear pivot was being pulled out by the plate that wasn't sitting straight--the threads pulled right out of the swingarm.

When I started to explain what happened to the Kona Rep, he knew right away that it was the BETD link that pulled the threads out of that pivot--no warranty!

To be honest, I bought the frame with the BETD links already installed; however, when I put the stock plates back on, the bike felt exactly the same--they just looked better.

I'm not sure what type of rear shock you have on the Coiler, but I know that a Romic or a Fox ProPedal rear shock makes the bike feel a lot better.

Card Carrying Member
    I can't see where an inch of travel would be worth that much. Not only in monetary terms, but angles, loads etc... Extra travel isn't always the best solution, especially when you compromise somewhere else. Like someone else said here, save it for a set of wheels or something else. You'll probably be happier in the long run.

Re-friggin'-Lax!!!

Both jack up the shock leverage...

The BETD's and I believe the Dangerboy's, as well raise the leverage ratio on the shock putting more stress on the shock (seals, etc.) . If you do this "upgrade" you will probably have to get a new spring to counter the increased leverage (add another $25+/-) I've owned the betd's and they were great upgrades to older (98-00) Kona's and Specialized, however these manufactures have addressed the issues that the links were created to address

I have an 02 Stinky Primo the best thing for it would be to have the rear shock PUSHed. A custom valved Vanilla R is a better $138+Shipping spent on the bike. It's QUALITY not Quantity of travel

Unshaven Yak
    Talk to Ed at Velopro.

He has the aftermarket arms on his Kona & that thing is set up SWEEET!!

Caution: Don't try to lift it. With all the XTR & the Maverick fork, that thing is the lightest suspension Kona I have ever hoisted.

If I had one, I would get the arms for sure. As it is, I'm stuck sitting here for a freakin' week waiting for SantaCruz to ship some goddamn bearings for my Heckler. Yes, I am bitter.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky Wiz
    Talk to Ed at Velopro.

He has the aftermarket arms on his Kona & that thing is set up SWEEET!!

Caution: Don't try to lift it. With all the XTR & the Maverick fork, that thing is the lightest suspension Kona I have ever hoisted.

If I had one, I would get the arms for sure. As it is, I'm stuck sitting here for a freakin' week waiting for SantaCruz to ship some goddamn bearings for my Heckler. Yes, I am bitter.
    yeah talk to edd at vpro. i might get some for my stinky, depends on the money situation.

and yeah eds coiler dee is stupid light for what it is.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby
    hey northoceanbeach,

to be honest with you, i'd worry about some of the other things on your bike before upgrading an inch of travel. First, as you mentioned, get rid of that Wedge fork and get something with at least one HSCV in it (Z1FR, Z150, SuperT), used if you can find a good one, or on a model closeout which should start happening soon. You may be able to upgrade the internals, I'm not sure, but it would maybe be the cheapest option. Second, send that rear shock into Push industries and get it set up for you.

There, now you have an awesome bike. Quality of travel is way more important than the amount of travel. I'd take a Z1FR over a JrT any day (assuming it doesn't bugger up the geometry too much). BTW, there's nothing intrisically wrong with having 6" in the back and 5" up front, as long as the geometry and suspension setups are good.
    i don't think you can push the vanilla, only the vanilla r, rc etc.

Don't skid
    Quote Originally Posted by WEBERTIME
    The BETD's and I believe the Dangerboy's, as well raise the leverage ratio on the shock putting more stress on the shock (seals, etc.) . If you do this "upgrade" you will probably have to get a new spring to counter the increased leverage (add another $25+/-) I've owned the betd's and they were great upgrades to older (98-00) Kona's and Specialized, however these manufactures have addressed the issues that the links were created to address

I have an 02 Stinky Primo the best thing for it would be to have the rear shock PUSHed. A custom valved Vanilla R is a better $138+Shipping spent on the bike. It's QUALITY not Quantity of travel
    What does getting your shock 'pushed' mean? What does it do for you. I have a Vanilla R.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    What does getting your shock 'pushed' mean? What does it do for you. I have a Vanilla R.
    check out push's site it should explain it to you. but with your shock(vanilla r with propeda) i wouldn't do it, just save for something differnt.

www.pushindustries.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    http://www.pushindustries.com/

You get what is called 'platform damping', and it is custom valved to your weight, bike, riding style, etc. On your setup, it will probably make a considerable difference in suspension quality, and will be WAY better than any linkage upgrade.