vs
    Rock Shock Domain 302 Coil , 180mm travel

Which one would you choose ?

mtbr member
    marz. rcv very strong fork
    Gas Sucks Ride A Bike :)

Glad to Be Alive
    as always..........MARZ
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ferarri or Lamborghini?

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by burgundy snake
    Ferarri or Lamborghini?
    uhhhh, well Ferrari's are light years ahead of lambo's so....kind of an easy question.

mtbr member
    Whoppers or Big Mac's?
    Bikeless Rider

banned
    I wouldn't use the Ferrari-lambo comparison with these models.

It's more like a GTI vs. Dodge Neon, no upper end engines.

Personally, I wouldn't go with the RCV, and in this range, it would be the Domain 302.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I would have normally said Marz except for the fact that a buddy of mine just got a 55 and on the first ride noticed play in the fork. I dont know the name of all the part but there was front and back rocking were the lower and the upper connect.??? He said and also a few techs in town agreed that it felt like the bushing were bad. When he called Marz to see what was going on they said there is play in all of their forks and there is nothing he could do about it.

I will call him and have him give a better description but i would not go with Marz right now until they can get they play fixed.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by clayd
    I would have normally said Marz except for the fact that a buddy of mine just got a 55 and on the first ride noticed play in the fork. I dont know the name of all the part but there was front and back rocking were the lower and the upper connect.??? He said and also a few techs in town agreed that it felt like the bushing were bad. When he called Marz to see what was going on they said there is play in all of their forks and there is nothing he could do about it.

I will call him and have him give a better description but i would not go with Marz right now until they can get they play fixed.
    How long ago was that? Because Marz is on these forums and have admitted problems and agreed to fix them. You might want to post a new thread about that if they aren't honoring their warranty, something pressure from mtbr members changed.

Still on Training Wheels!
    Both forks are great, the Marz will give you more adjustability with both compression and rebound dampening where as the domain 302 only has rebound dampening adjustment and the compression is set at full open from the factory. If both forks are around the same price I would go with the Marz because we all like to play with knobs. That being said I love my Boxxer and usually run it with the compression set at full open for DH and only dial it in a little for more FR type situations. I have also heard a lot of folks saying that the domain 302 feels great right out of the box with no real need to adjust the compression any.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

You might also need to factor in the cost of a new head set or reducer baised on which route you go with the marz having a 1.5 steer and the Domain having a 1 1/8 steer

mtbr member
    the 66 is going to cost at least 200 bucks more.
    You can get a domain 318 on ebay for like 300 dollars brand new.
    Out, out, brief candle!
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drum714
    Both forks are great, the Marz will give you more adjustability with both compression and rebound dampening where as the domain 302 only has rebound dampening adjustment and the compression is set at full open from the factory. If both forks are around the same price I would go with the Marz because we all like to play with knobs. That being said I love my Boxxer and usually run it with the compression set at full open for DH and only dial it in a little for more FR type situations. I have also heard a lot of folks saying that the domain 302 feels great right out of the box with no real need to adjust the compression any.
    I guess this is the trap people fall into with the RCV forks from Zoke where they don't realize that these damping units are much more inferior to the RC/HSCV carts. Just because they have compression adjusts, doesn't mean the quality of the compression stroke is actually good. This is why many people stuck with HSCV, with only a rebound adjust, when other companies were offering compression adjust, but with poor quality of damping.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    How long ago was that? Because Marz is on these forums and have admitted problems and agreed to fix them. You might want to post a new thread about that if they aren't honoring their warranty, something pressure from mtbr members changed.
    This is on a brand new fork that he just got directly from Marz a few weeks ago. I called my firend just a bit ago so he might chime in. If i remember correctly most of the customer service people just said that that was the way it was. The head of CS said to ride it a few more weeks and then contact him to see if there was anything they could do at that point.

banned
    Looks like Zoke might be back to the old tricks again. After they supposedly stepped up their public showing of warranty work, I know several who were still denied (and they weren't on MTBR) for problems acknowledged to be their fault.

I would post a thread in the suspension forum. "Marzocchi Tech Department" is the guy that handles that stuff.

Capricious youth...
    Never had a bad experience with RS.

But I wouldn't run any Marz forks post-2007.
    Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I guess this is the trap people fall into with the RCV forks from Zoke where they don't realize that these damping units are much more inferior to the RC/HSCV carts. Just because they have compression adjusts, doesn't mean the quality of the compression stroke is actually good. This is why many people stuck with HSCV, with only a rebound adjust, when other companies were offering compression adjust, but with poor quality of damping.

I guess I thought RCV was just the newer version of their RC Dampening.... My Bad

Is the RCV dampening just a stepped up/ more externaly adjustable version of their SSV dampening?

banned
    Pretty much.

...it's also no mistake they used a name like that.

HSCV
    RC
    RC3
    RCV

How is it not possible to confuse it if you didn't know?

Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I currently have the RCV. It's probably the worst fork I've ever ridden, or atleast the worst I've owned. I like the domain way more. I'll get rid of my 66 when my totem arrives.

What's up with marzocchi nowdays anyway? I've owned the -07 66 RC2X and now the -08 RCV and both are a piece of sh*t. I've got a few friends on -07 RC2X and a few on -08 888 RCV's and RC3's and none of them are completely satisfied with their forks. Many of the -08 models had a lot of play in the bushings out of the box. And 2 of the RC2X's had some problems with the compression damping and had to be sent for warranty service.

The -04 888R was the smoothest and most reliable for I've ever owned! And all 888's and 66's from -04 to -06 were superb!
    >> Death Race Pilots <> WSA Freeriders <<

Outcast
    The RCV uses cheap "piston rods" instead of the rc cartridge or RC3 cartrodge found in their better forks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    The RCV uses cheap "piston rods" instead of the rc cartridge or RC3 cartrodge found in their better forks.
    ...And Marz's definition of cheap scares me a little seeing the number of failures in their "high" end forks over the past two years.

(mine included...had an '08 66 ATA, warrantied 4 times in 5 months (seals, damper, knobs, crown) and replaced it with a Totem Solo Air last July. No complaints since.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks all,
    The 2 forks I'm inquiring about come on 2 iron horse 7 points from RS cycles, and both bikes are the same price but w/ sllighly different builds.
    Is the RS stiffer w/ the steel sanchions ? / Tougher?
    Looks like the way to go.
    But the Marz looks beefe'r w/ bigger sanchions

mtbr member
    The 7 point is a great bike but be aware of some ongoing issues with the owner of RScycles, seen posting here.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=508720

I doubt you'll notice much difference in stiffness between the 2 forks. I would suspect that the Marz 66 would be stiffer, but never noticeable.

I vote for the Domain. Very good fork that can easily be updated to the very popular and simple RS motion control. Should be about 65$ to do so, and you get a top quality (but heavy) fork

mtbr member
    Save your money and buy a 2009 RC3 66, it will be worth the wait and extra cash

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by GTJERRY
    Thanks all,
    The 2 forks I'm inquiring about come on 2 iron horse 7 points from RS cycles, and both bikes are the same price but w/ sllighly different builds.
    Is the RS stiffer w/ the steel sanchions ? / Tougher?
    Looks like the way to go.
    But the Marz looks beefe'r w/ bigger sanchions
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_M2R
    Save your money and buy a 2009 RC3 66, it will be worth the wait and extra cash
    Dude read the thread..

I AM I AM
    Before you said the forks were on the bikes I would have said that my choice would be to stretch the budget for a Domain 318.
    So I would go for the bike with the Domain 302, see how you like it and then think about dropping in a motion control cartrige for a cheap upgrade!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I can't comment on the rockshox, but I will say that RCV damping is really piss poor.
    When I bought a used glory it came with the 888RCV, they felt so bad. Every time I hit a large bump the fork wouldn't respond to it at all, handle bars would be thrown towards my face and the damn thing felt like a jack hammer. The compression dampers orifice is fixed width and therefore can't expand to suck up the big hits. So since the compression sucked so bad I would run the fork with very little compression, and thus it would bottom out all the time, [ba-ding]. A lot of people get stiffer springs thinking it will fix the problem. The real problem is that the damping is piss poor.

I replaced the fork with a 888 RC2X, the performance has been just what I expected. A nice smooth damping effect that will give way on for the big hits. Landing a drop feels smooth and I can feel the damping working, yet if I hit a large rock the fork just eats it.

If you want your fork to feel like a jack hammer then get the rcv.

Of course with any marzocchi (pre 08) the seals, lowers etc will be solid and reliable. Just say clear of the 08 ones (and maybe 09?). Best advice is to go ride some (on a real track not the damn car park) and decide which you like best.

A cheap rockshox is better than a cheap marzocchi in terms of the ride, marz is probably more solid (seals, lowers etc). For the best of both worlds look for a good condition 07 rc2x.

Members who have read this thread: 0