Road Trip Help (BC) - X-post in Passion and Western Canada- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Road Trip Help (BC) - X-post in Passion and Western Canada

Hey everyone,

My buds and I (intermediate freeriders and XCers) are doing our annual summer bike roadtrip and have planned on Sun Peaks to start with (departing from Vancouver). Our dates for Sun Peaks is July 14 and 15 and the morning of the 16th. All will head back to Vancouver except 4 (including me), who would want to extend the trip by a few more days (say till the 19th or 20th). The options so far are:

1) Vancouver - Sun Peaks - Panorama - Fernie - Christina Lake - Osoyoos - Vancouver
    Lots of road time but have never been to these places to bike or chill

2) Vancouver - Sun Peaks - Williams Lake - Lillooet - Pemberton - Whistler - Vancouver
    Been to Pem and Whistler lots - too crowded as well in Whistler

Our goal is to try something new and then have the latter part of the trip more relaxing than biking (i.e. hit a natural hot springs or something like that). We've done Silverstar, Golden and Whistler in the past and would prefer to try something different with the least amount of time spent on the road. Any input or advice (lodging, food, hikes, kayaking, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Can't w8
    Hey everyone,

My buds and I (intermediate freeriders and XCers) are doing our annual summer bike roadtrip and have planned on Sun Peaks to start with (departing from Vancouver). Our dates for Sun Peaks is July 14 and 15 and the morning of the 16th. All will head back to Vancouver except 4 (including me), who would want to extend the trip by a few more days (say till the 19th or 20th). The options so far are:

1) Vancouver - Sun Peaks - Panorama - Fernie - Christina Lake - Osoyoos - Vancouver

2) Vancouver - Sun Peaks - Williams Lake - Lillooet - Pemberton - Whistler - Vancouver

Our goal is to try something new and then have the latter part of the trip more relaxing than biking (i.e. hit a natural hot springs or something like that). We've done Silverstar, Golden and Whistler in the past and would prefer to try something different with the least amount of time spent on the road. Any input or advice (lodging, food, hikes, kayaking, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    i would go panorama, then vancouver for some urban and some night life..im not sure about hotels, or any of that stuff but ya, that would be my choice

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance.
    If you are alreay going to hit up Fernie, then go to Nelson and Rossland to get the most out of the B.C. interior experience. Everyone raves about the North Shore and Whistler, but the interior is the ticket. Rossland and Nelson are only an hour apart and both places, are considered by many to have the best riding in B.C. for freeride and xc disciplines.

Nelson is a great town with many things to do besides riding. Check out Ainsworth hotsprings just outside of town. Nelson has a nice beach right in town also. There is a hostel in Nelson and a campground in town. You mentioned eats. There are many good places to eat in Nelson. It is a laid back town and anything goes.

mtbr member
    Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance.
    A few of those places I can't give you any advice on, but I can easily reccomend Fernie and Panorama as places to go. While I haven't been to Fernie in the summer time, so I can't make any claim about the trails there, I love the feel the town has. Also, accomodations there are easy to find, and not super expensive. I wish I could give you an exact figure, but I went on a big trip with a group, so that isnt much help. As for Panorama, that area of BC is so nice. Accomodations there can be more tricky, although if you are willing to camp, places can be found. In addition, you're right between Radium Hot Springs, Fairmont Hot Springs, and Windermere lake, all 3 places are awesome for a relaxing day. For the last 2 summers, I have gone to that area, and I always have a blast.
    DSK

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I did two week road trip out there last summer, Seattle, Whistler, float plane biking the Chilcotins, Banff/Canmore, Fernie, Glacier, back to Seattle. And then things got all crazy and I bought an old Landcruiser in Kalispell (just outside of Glacier) and drove all the way back to NC in it, was a blast... Anyway, was going to contribute that Fernie was an absolute blast. Great trails in great shape, crouds were minimal, super fun. Not much night life in Fernie but super chill, relaxing place to stay.

Members who have read this thread: 0