Road cassettes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Road cassettes

Old No. 7

Road cassettes

On a DH bike, what are the advantages over a mountain cassette?
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

gearing

Higher gears
    Thompson Elite Seat post 27.2 & 28.6
    E.13 SRS

PM for details

Meh.
    Not neccesarily higher gears. The smallest gear you can go to is still an 11t. The road cassette is lighter, and it covers a narrower range of gears, which mean that the intervals between gears are much smaller. This will provide smoother shifts, and give you a little bit more adjustment. Smaller chain wrap, so you can use a shorter chain, and if you run a single ring, you can go with a super short cage rear derailleur. So all in all, you can shave a bit of weight, and it'll shift more smoothly, and the derailleur will have more ground clearance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Yeah

Was going to write all that but way too lazy. Roadies like to have high granularity between gears.
    Thompson Elite Seat post 27.2 & 28.6
    E.13 SRS

PM for details

Old No. 7
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Not neccesarily higher gears. The smallest gear you can go to is still an 11t. The road cassette is lighter, and it covers a narrower range of gears, which mean that the intervals between gears are much smaller. This will provide smoother shifts, and give you a little bit more adjustment. Smaller chain wrap, so you can use a shorter chain, and if you run a single ring, you can go with a super short cage rear derailleur. So all in all, you can shave a bit of weight, and it'll shift more smoothly, and the derailleur will have more ground clearance.
    Thanks. Exactly what I needed to know. How's light climbing in the granny, I'm assuming the biggest ring would be around 23ish??? I'm thinking of running 38 front and 11-23ish rear.

mtbr member
    Tighter gear ratios.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Quote Originally Posted by fred.r
    Thanks. Exactly what I needed to know. How's light climbing in the granny, I'm assuming the biggest ring would be around 23ish??? I'm thinking of running 38 front and 11-23ish rear.
    I run a 38t front with a 12-25 rear... it's fine for flat to very slight incline... it sucks ass for any extended climbing if you're used to granny spinning. if you just stand and mash you can cope but you're still climbing a DH bike... it's always gonna suck...
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Exactly.

Old No. 7
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    I run a 38t front with a 12-25 rear... it's fine for flat to very slight incline... it sucks ass for any extended climbing if you're used to granny spinning. if you just stand and mash you can cope but you're still climbing a DH bike... it's always gonna suck...
    Word, the only "climbing" I would be doing is the little hike at teds. BTW Skate and I may be hitting up Teds Friday afternoon, you should cruise even if it's a late afternoon ride, been getting small crews together and it's been good fun. Not too hot either.
    Last edited by fred.r; 10-02-2006 at 06:47 PM.

mtbr member
    With a road cassette your gears are closer together which gives tighter gear ratio's.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

Meh.
    If you have a granny, it'll be much easier to climb. I run a 36t up front with a 11-34 or 11-32 in the rear (one is XTR, the other XT). I can climb just fine. It's a little labored, but I rarely need to go all the way up to 34t.

I think that if you run a road cassette, you can still use a super short, even if you're running a double. Check the chain capacity though.

Old No. 7
    I'm having a hard time finding more info. I know sram has a few different models of road cassettes, ranging in price. So is weight going to be the only difference? Also, do I need a road RD to run a road cassette, or can I stick with my x.9?

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    Little did you know, you'll actually need a road BIKE to run a road cassette. HAH HAH, fooled ya!!

EXTREEM MEDIUM MOUNTAINSTYLE SLOPCROSS STEEDS:
    '06 Iron Horse 7Point3 w/888RC + Roco
    '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc FR-Pimped
    '92 Specialized HardRock Pink-Retro-XC-Pimped

Old No. 7
    I'm having a hard time finding more info. I know sram has a few different models of road cassettes, ranging in price. So is weight going to be the only difference? Also, do I need a road RD to run a road cassette, or can I stick with my x.9?
    So yeah, anyone know?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

A lot will depend on the bike

So yeah, anyone know?
    Whether or not a road derailuer is meeded with a road cassette will depend on numerous things - like what road deraileur are yu using? Will it be like an 12-23 sort of thing, or are you looking towards an 11-28? And even more importantly in my experience, how things fit on the particular bike. I ran an Deore mountain deraileur with a Shimano 105 cassette on my 2004 Norco Team NS and then switched to a matching Deore 105 road deraileur - both combo's worked perfectly, although the 105 deraileur gave me such a short (I mean short) cage setup that it was just too cool and effective not to stay with that setup. And road stuff is cheaper too - handy when your FR bike doesn't always stay on the skinnies. Shifted like a dream, and virtually no chain slap. :-)

I then bought a Scott Hi-Octane frame and swapped my parts over, thinking it would all work the same. Not so. I have to be careful with the same deraileur/cassette setup to be sure I don't go middle ring/big cog (11-27 cassette).

So, whatever you decide, be prepared to have to make adjustments to your plan. This isn't a standard setup and it may not be golden on your first try. On the other hand, buying a deraileur & a cassette off eBay to test with will run you around $50 total, and not much more than that at your LBS. Jump in and give it a try. It'll likely take some tinkering, but the road/road combo provides some excellent advantages for your FR/DR rig and its cheap enough to make it worth the gamble. YMMV of course.

Meh.
    So yeah, anyone know?
    You do not HAVE to run a road derailleur or short cage derailleur with a road cassette.

You can keep your x9. But a super short x9 is super bling and offers the advantages (as noted up above).

Be careful about watching the chain wrap, make sure the derailleur can take up the slack.

N* Bomber Crew
    I've always thought that the higher gear ratio was the reason many gravity racers run road cassets. As for me, I still run my 9-Speed Mountian set .
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    I've always thought that the higher gear ratio was the reason many gravity racers run road cassets. As for me, I still run my 9-Speed Mountian set .
    Tigher gear ratios, but not higher. The smallest cog you can run on the cassette is an 11t.

Team
    I run an 11-21 Sram.

no big deal
    I run road cassettes on my dh rig and love them. only time I have a problem is on steeper inclines...but who wants to pedal a heavy dh bike up a hill anyway?
    Enjoy yourself, bi***es.
    It's a celebration.
    -Dave Chappelle-

Members who have read this thread: 0