Road bikes? Why not motocross?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Road bikes? Why not motocross?

I've had this conversation with a few people and was wondering if there were people out there who could relate. I grew up racing motocross motorcycles and have since switched to downhill, freeride, and urban mountainbikes. I ride for fun and try to challenge myself on which ever bike I'm on. I'm really not interested in road bikes or road racing or some bike bike race in France. People tell me I'm close minded and that I should try it, also road riders are very talented. I really don't care. Why not motocross motorcycle racing? To me there is a closer connection but you don't here anyone on here talking about Bubba, RC, or Suzuki's new aluminum framed four stroke. Or how about roadies getting a bmx bike?
    I feel no connection with road bikes. If I'm going for a bike ride I want to have fun by manualling and jumping stuff, conquering the terrain, not racing against cars on a flat booring surface.

ok, everybody call me an idiot..........

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by TWISTED
    Yer not an idiot, but you should give a road bike a try sometime. Or at least a cross bike.

Pedaling is key.

That said, I don't own a roadie anymore, I think they're dumb.

mtbr member
    different strokes for different folks, man. we all like different things. i don't own a road bike, but every so often it's nice to borrow one and go do 20-30 miles. i don't care if no one else here likes it, i like to do it sometimes. it's fun to find some lightly traveled roads (the fewer cars around the better) and just go cruise with a friend. town line sprints are especially fun. and i wave and say hello to every rider i see, regardless of what bike they're on.
    i think plenty of road riding skills can be applied to DH. sprinting comes to mind. and drafting will help you handle riding directly behind someone at speed, having to instantly adjust to variances in the road (sand, street gutter, etc). high speed corners on those tiny tires help cornering skills. plenty of two wheeled skills are transfereable, just like they are between MX and DH.
    i don't think you're an idiot, just understand that not everyone agrees with your way of thinking. just because you think something is stupid doesn't mean everyone does, or should. maybe i'm just a damn hippie, but i don't get why it's so difficult for people to understand that not everyone thinks the same way. people have different views! that's what makes this world fun.
    i don't give two sh!ts if you ride a road bike or not, but what do you have to lose by trying one? you say you like to challenge yourself. get on a road bike and try to get your heartbeat over 200 or go try to average 20+mph or go do 50 miles. discover your body's limits. it's not as easy as it looks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly
    , just understand that not everyone agrees with your way of thinking. just because you think something is stupid doesn't mean everyone does, or should. maybe i'm just a damn hippie, but i don't get why it's so difficult for people to understand that not everyone thinks the same way. people have different views! that's what makes this world fun.
    i don't give two sh!ts if you ride a road bike or not, but what do you have to lose by trying one? you say you like to challenge yourself. get on a road bike and try to get your heartbeat over 200 or go try to average 20+mph or go do 50 miles. discover your body's limits. it's not as easy as it looks.
    I never said they were stupid, I just said I'm not interested in them. Couldn't I get on a stationary bike and challenge myself the way you are speaking of, or a treadmill? I am constantly pressured by people at work as well as others for me to take up road riding yet I can't get them to join me for some mountainbiking. I even offer one of my spare bikes.
    I ride for fun. I like to have fun, the more fun the better. I can do far more things on one of my mountainbikes that are fun. So if I was out riding a road bike it would be cutting into the time I could be having fun on my other bikes.
    As far as fitness, lugging around my 50 lb dh or spinning the low single gear on my urban bike keeps me far more fit than the average 35 year old.

I just reread your comment and I see that you took my post the wrong way. Why do I have to go along with how the roadies think? Why does that make me the bad guy? They don't freeride, downhill, or do stunts, Why can't THEY be more open minded and think like me?

What I was really getting at is I feel more of a connection to the motocross motorcycle side. My dh looks more and rides more like a dirt bike. Road bikes have pedals etc. like a downhill bike but thats the closest similarity I see compared to a MX.
    Last edited by TWISTED; 07-04-2004 at 01:21 AM.

mtbr member
    I never said they were stupid, I just said I'm not interested in them. Couldn't I get on a stationary bike and challenge myself the way you are speaking of, or a treadmill? I am constantly pressured by people at work as well as others for me to take up road riding yet I can't get them to join me for some mountainbiking. I even offer one of my spare bikes.
    I ride for fun. I like to have fun, the more fun the better. I can do far more things on one of my mountainbikes that are fun. So if I was out riding a road bike it would be cutting into the time I could be having fun on my other bikes.
    As far as fitness, lugging around my 50 lb dh or spinning the low single gear on my urban bike keeps me far more fit than the average 35 year old.
    riding a road bike is infitely more enjoyable than a stationary bike. there's no comparison.
    at any rate, that's pretty closed minded of the folks at work to want you to ride road bike but they won't try mountain bikes. i definitely side with you on that.
    as for fitness, road bikes are definitely a "better" way to get in shape, but just like you, i'd rather pedal my hardtail around town than ride a road bike most of the time. i use my 243 as my town bike because it's fun to ride. i can't do stairs, ride curbs, wheelie and stuff on a road bike. if i had to choose i'd choose a mountain bike almost every time. my only point was that you can have fun on a road bike, it's just a different kind of fun. that's all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    . my only point was that you can have fun on a road bike, it's just a different kind of fun. that's all.
    Yeah, but less fun.
    Someone said bicycles were created for transportation and mountainbikes were created for recreation. I've already got like 8 or 9 mountainbikes, no room for a road bike. I'd feel imparassed to wear those shorts anyway.
    I think Dave Watson stole the show at last years T.deF.

mtbr member
    Yeah, but less fun.
    Someone said bicycles were created for transportation and mountainbikes were created for recreation. I've already got like 8 or 9 mountainbikes, no room for a road bike. I'd feel imparassed to wear those shorts anyway.
    I think Dave Watson stole the show at last years T.deF.

less fun TO YOU. other people like it. who are you to judge?
    by the way, i wear baggies on road rides. i don't care what the roadies think. fwiw, it's a great feeling to be wearing mountain bike clothes with leg hair and pass some dude on an expensive bike who's dressed like a geek and wearing a heart monitor. i've done it a couple times. it really pisses them off
    and hell yeah watson stole the show. i wonder if anyone has any tricks up their sleeve for this year. the crowd's reaction to seeing him was awesome. most of those people probably didn't even think sh!it like that is possible on a bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    less fun TO YOU. other people like it. who are you to judge?
    by the way, i wear baggies on road rides. i don't care what the roadies think. fwiw, it's a great feeling to be wearing mountain bike clothes with leg hair and pass some dude on an expensive bike who's dressed like a geek and wearing a heart monitor. i've done it a couple times. it really pisses them off
    and hell yeah watson stole the show. i wonder if anyone has any tricks up their sleeve for this year. the crowd's reaction to seeing him was awesome. most of those people probably didn't even think sh!it like that is possible on a bike.
    I meant less fun for ME. I think it's great for anybody to get out and DO anything.
    I'm always blowing past roadies on any of my bikes.

Maybe Gracia will do something this year, He is from france after all.

mtbr member
    you should start wheelieing/manualing past them.
    absolutely. so long as someone's riding, well, good for them. every so often i go for a run, usually just a couple miles. running in the woods in the rain is actually really fun. last summer my friend and i went for a rain run, probably just 2 or 3 miles, and when we got back to my house we realized we'd just done something that probably the majority of American's aren't able to do. that's pretty sad. so yeah, so long as people are doing something, that's cool.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    you should start wheelieing/manualing past them.
    absolutely. .
    Oh, roadies and commuters don't like my manuals. They always, always give me dirty looks whereas I've got a smile on my face when I ride.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    dude, bubba rocks the tracks, and i can't stand tires narrower than 1.9 inches.

user-created
    Oh, roadies and commuters don't like my manuals. They always, always give me dirty looks whereas I've got a smile on my face when I ride.
    No offense, but there's definetly something about a 60mph descent on a half inch wide tire that you have yet to experience. Dropping stairs at high speed on a cross bike is pretty cool too.

FAST. That's the bottom line.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    No offense, but there's definetly something about a 60mph descent on a half inch wide tire that you have yet to experience. Dropping stairs at high speed on a cross bike is pretty cool too.

Hmmm I've done 45 mph manuals for a mile or so on a downhill road and 145 on my old crotch rocket. What is it I'm missing?
    Dropping stairs? Do you mean like the 18 stair stair gap me and Danny Swann do in Jib2?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    road biking is all about pain and self inflicted punnishment. Those guys out there like lance, are border-line masochistic. In all honnesty, road biking isnt about fun, it isnt about technical ability, and it isnt about fear and adrenolin. These are all things I love about biking. I totally feel you man, road biking completely lacks apeal. And for those times that I do tend to feel a little into self-mutilation, my mountain bikes have yet to fail me as a tool for accomplishing such.

Dont even get me started on the leg shaving and day-glo spandex. I dont care if you could tell me that it'd make me jump twice as high and ride smooth and fast... The answer's still NO!
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
    but you don't here anyone on here talking about Bubba, RC, or Suzuki's new aluminum framed four stroke

uh, i never heard of that, havent really followed dirtbikes.

Aluminum frames?!

Thats pretty fockin badass. Like to see a 2 stroke in there, light and power. thatd be scary.
    Schwinn Moab DS3 Avids, Rhyno Lites, Speed Dials, Some other stuff.
    Homebrew flat black rigid commuter with a Shockster
    Gary Fisher BMX
    Get Avid Juicy 7's for 65% off!!!

Card Carrying Member
    Do you mean like the 18 stair stair gap me and Danny Swann do in Jib2?
    Ouch, you dropped that one right on my toe.

mtbr member
    TWISTED, you`ve come across as a fairly intelligent poster on these boards, but i cannot undertand the purpose of this thread other than you bashing people who ride roadbikes. I ride roadbikes, i ride mountainbikes, i ride urban, enduro, xc, freeride anything you can mention. I might not do it in style but i`m trying. And that is what you aren`t willing to do with roadbikes? And then you manage to squeeze in that the people that you pass on your backwheel look at you in a certain way so in order to make you look superior.

Why did you start this thread? You clearly don`t want to have anything to do with roadbikes from the start and when people try to explain what RRing is all about you give them, hell, you give *me* attitude. "Less fun". Give me a friggin`break. Sell one of your mtb`s and get a deal on one of your own MountainCycle roadbikes and at least try it before you completely write it of. Or is this simply you vs. your friends who don`t want to try mtbing? Equally foolish of them i say.

Open up your mind for chris` sake man.

user-created
    What is it I'm missing?
    Appparenty everything I mentioned....

Why did you ask for an explanation of road riding if you didn't really want to know?
    Last edited by singletrack; 07-05-2004 at 01:25 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Twisted isn't slamming on anyone really.
    I see the same things and I hate to admit it, but the roadie side of biking (as a general type statement but not all inclusive) does have alot of elitism in it's attitude in that they seem to think that they are the only REAL bike riders out there and that we are a blemish on their sport.
    I've tried the road thing and just didn't like it so well. That doesn't make road biking bad, it just means that it's not for me. Twisted is obviously of the same attitude.

For what it's worth, I like RC and Damon Bradshaw

So Twisted, Are you going to be at the Series finals on the weekend of sept 10th at Ski-Bowl?
    I am. I'll get there Thurs night and ride all day Fri, race Sat and drive back to Boise on Sun. Let's hook up and ride that Friday.
    You can E-Mail me at [email protected]

I'll be on a 7 inch front and rear 98 Special-Ed Extreme with Risse suspension front and rear complete with risse swingarm and seatstays, Hex link and Risse Rear shock. I think you ride a higher class than me though. I'm in the 35 and up Sport class. Got the gold medal at the State Games race last year at Hood in that class. That was my first race in a couple years too. Anyway, Let me know. I'll be up there riding with Clark McNutt if you know him. He rides for Universal Cycles on a Sinister R-9 with 888s on it. He rides my class too.

Later
    Darin

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonk0u
    Dont even get me started on the leg shaving and day-glo spandex. I dont care if you could tell me that it'd make me jump twice as high and ride smooth and fast... The answer's still NO!
    Oh So True
    Especially that shaving and spandex part.....
    That stuff is also in no way for me
    NO ONE wants to see my ass in spandex.... Especially not me

MX gear and body armour for me thank you

Darin

mtbr member
    Well, Twisted is coming across with a frickin` attitude when it was him in the first place that wanted to know about roadriding. Then it turns out that he isn`t welcoming any positive ideas about rr:ing at all, only bantering how he doesn`t like either the people or the bikes or the clothes.

"That doesn't make road biking bad, it just means that it's not for me. Twisted is obviously of the same attitude."

You don`t like roadbikes. Fine. You don`t start a thread weer you invite people to discuss rr:ing only to coem across as extremely negative and un-opened towards skinny tires. Twisted does.

Grow up.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Dude
    Who are you telling to grow up?
    Twisted didn't attack any one and neither did I.
    He only asked the same questions that I and I'm sure others have

We do not need the elitist attitudes. I think that is what he is asking about. We ride to have fun. We invite others to go ride and have fun. Fun is what it's about. It doesn't matter that you spent $3500 to save the weight that I can save by blowing my nose for free. It's a whole differrent mind set. It's for the adrenalin rather than going bonk. Some like bonk, I like fear.
    Does that mean that I need to grow up? No. It just means that road riders and I are differrent types of riders.

This thread is interesting and good though in that is does show the different personality types and attitudes.

Also as to the other sports named here, I'm an old moto-X guy (Motorcycle, not BMX) and I am a snowmobile rider too. This is relevant in that there is a certain mindset in throttle guys too that differs from the traditional bicyclist. Neither is bad, just differrent from each other. Deal with it.

Darin
    Last edited by GravityWorx; 07-04-2004 at 05:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Hmmm I've done 45 mph manuals for a mile or so on a downhill road and 145 on my old crotch rocket. What is it I'm missing?
    Dropping stairs? Do you mean like the 18 stair stair gap me and Danny Swann do in Jib2?
    oh my god, you're so cool. thanks for gracing us with your presence

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by erol/frost
    Well, Twisted is coming across with a frickin` attitude when it was him in the first place that wanted to know about roadriding. Then it turns out that he isn`t welcoming any positive ideas about rr:ing at all, only bantering how he doesn`t like either the people or the bikes or the clothes.

"That doesn't make road biking bad, it just means that it's not for me. Twisted is obviously of the same attitude."

You don`t like roadbikes. Fine. You don`t start a thread weer you invite people to discuss rr:ing only to coem across as extremely negative and un-opened towards skinny tires. Twisted does.

Grow up.
    dude, you're the only one getting bent out of shape. You tell him to grow up, I think you should heed your own advise. Get a life man, sorry that not everyone likes the same things you do.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

who are you to judge?
    fyi - Not everyone on a road bike is trying to race you. As far as passing somebody, who cares. The dude with questionable fashion on a high end bike might just be cruising home (cooling down) at the end of an 80+ mile ride, or simply going out for a recovery ride to stretch the legs after a hard ride or race the day before. As far as "dressed like a geek", who are you to judge? WTF? I'm going on a bike ride, I'm not trying to impress you. This isn't a fashion show, and those of you who get so caught up in lycra vs baggies are missing the point. Shut up and ride.
    Last edited by frank n. beans; 07-05-2004 at 09:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Wow, lot's of good comments. Let me see if I can answer some.
    I think road bikes are great. It's awesome for people who are into them to get out and ride. I am pleased to see anyone getting out and doing anything. Like I said earlier I have not chosen to take up road bikes myself. This does not mean I'm bashing them, I just feel no interst to take them up.

I think motorcycle motocross is great. To me it is more closely related to downhill and mountain cross. One has a motor, the other uses gravity to speed down the course over the jumps and rough terrain. Bmx as well. This is what I enjoy and why I ride.

I don't think anyone should tell me to take up road riding unless they decide to go the other extreme and start racing motocross. Isn't that fair?

This is the reason I started this thread.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Personally, I don't see the point in road riding. I've ridden road bikes and I've ridden motoX and I have to say Moto X is infinetly more fun. I also know a few roadies and a few motorheads - the roadies are snobs and exist in their own little world for the most part. I can identify far better with the Moto Xers. Don't even get me started on the Tour Dee Fraance - a bunch of skinny roadies getting all exited about watching the tube for a few days just to see the same guy win it again? I'd much rather be riding.

user-created
    Wow, lot's of good comments. Let me see if I can answer some.
    I think road bikes are great. It's awesome for people who are into them to get out and ride. I am pleased to see anyone getting out and doing anything. Like I said earlier I have not chosen to take up road bikes myself. This does not mean I'm bashing them, I just feel no interst to take them up.

I think motorcycle motocross is great. To me it is more closely related to downhill and mountain cross. One has a motor, the other uses gravity to speed down the course over the jumps and rough terrain. Bmx as well. This is what I enjoy and why I ride.

I don't think anyone should tell me to take up road riding unless they decide to go the other extreme and start racing motocross. Isn't that fair?

This is the reason I started this thread.
    OK, good enough. I think what you're getting at is why a road bike related post is accpeted in the forums, wereas a Moto post would not be.

In the end in boils down to one simple fact: Motorcycles don't have pedals.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Even if the majority of roadies have shitty attitudes it doesnt mean you have to ride with them. I plan on buying a road bike sometime in the next year, you can get goin so fast on those things. Besides, as long as its a bike that pedals i'll have fun on it, wether its a sub 20lb road bike or a 50lb+ freeride rig, its all in fun. As far as the tour taking up alot of airtime on OLN, it dont really bother me, i watched an hours worth today, those guys are fast as hell lol.

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider
    i watched an hours worth today, those guys are fast as hell lol.
    You're doing ok... I've watched it all every day + all the extra stuff. But, I've been on the bike more than I've watched it every day.

Glove tans are cool.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    You're doing ok... I've watched it all every day + all the extra stuff. But, I've been on the bike more than I've watched it every day.

Glove tans are cool.
    I've got a pretty nice glove tan myself.

The chicks really dig em'

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider
    I've got a pretty nice glove tan myself.

The chicks really dig em'

AHHHHHHHH TSHHHHHHHHHH, AHHHHHHHHHHHH TSHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHH TSHHHHHHHHHH, AHHHHHHHHHHHH TSHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHH TSHHHHHHHHHH, AHHHHHHHHHHHH TSHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHH TSHHHHHHHHHH, AHHHHHHHHHHHH TSHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHH TSHHHHHHHHHH, AHHHHHHHHHHHH TSHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHH TSHHHHHHHHHH, AHHHHHHHHHHHH TSHHHHHHHHHHH

One of the best episodes ever.

Stand back

road bikes can be boring

if you live somewhere flat. Try riding down some steep and twisty road - it'll make you realize riding your mtb down the same road is like road racing an suv. Only drag is when the cars get in your way...
    As far as slamming lycra, you real particular about everything color coordinating too? Lycra is form, baggies are fashion.

Trials Superstar

fun?

oh my god, you're so cool. thanks for gracing us with your presence

Either way, road or mtn. you still go fast. But i go faster. find me a hill and your gone. It needs to be paved tho. lol to the quote I used. I think you said the same thing when i said Philwood is making hubs for me and im sponsored by Jesus. lol ok...who wants to challenge me on a speed match? and did i mention i was on a BMX bike? ok. post away!

mtbr member
    I ride both and I like it that way.

To insult one is rather silly considering its just another medium of the same bike you're riding. There's nothing more annoying than a roadie who snubs you on his $5000 bike like a pure elitist and a MTBer who calls roadies gay and starts saying how fast he goes downhill and what kind of drops he clears... yeah ok.

Try a roadbike one day... just so the people around you can shut up and stop forcing it on you. I have a feeling you won't like it already since you already sound like you hate it.

MTB or roadbike... i really couldn't care less... they're both bicycles.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    TWISTED...well dude the reason that roadies and XC freaks are what they are is because they have those bad attitudes and negative f*cking frames of mind...they cant help it and wont try to help it...lycra is gay...no suspension is fricking anoying...its like saying cricket is a fun sport...aahahahahaa...i live in australia and no its not...standing around for an hour for a bloody hard ball to come screamingly fast at u...at bloody 100mph + is not fun (not only do u get sunburn and dehydrated but u have nothing to show for it wow i caught a ball and it broke my hand in the process)...just like road racing sucks (u burst ur balls for a heart rate monitor and these magical things called PBs)...

road bikes on the other hand can be fun...if u use one to get fit and all then there a great way to bust ur balls to get fitter and build up ur endurance for DH but as a sport its not so great...

i think all the rage an anger has been realsed now im going back to bed...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    TWISTED...well dude the reason that roadies and XC freaks are what they are is because they have those bad attitudes and negative f*cking frames of mind...they cant help it and wont try to help it...lycra is gay...no suspension is fricking anoying...its like saying cricket is a fun sport...aahahahahaa...i live in australia and no its not...standing around for an hour for a bloody hard ball to come screamingly fast at u...at bloody 100mph + is not fun (not only do u get sunburn and dehydrated but u have nothing to show for it wow i caught a ball and it broke my hand in the process)...just like road racing sucks (u burst ur balls for a heart rate monitor and these magical things called PBs)...

road bikes on the other hand can be fun...if u use one to get fit and all then there a great way to bust ur balls to get fitter and build up ur endurance for DH but as a sport its not so great...

i think all the rage an anger has been realsed now im going back to bed...
    you see what i mean?

...they have those bad attitudes and negative f*cking frames of mind

I find that incredibly ironic from the sound of your post.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    ahahaha i was in a bad mood...i woke up and hadnt eaten yet...but the majority of them are very stuck up and think there better than us or most if not all of them would do XC and DH not just XC...anyway XC may be good for fitness just like road racing but the bikes they do it on are to flimsy and break to easily and i think thats stupid...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    OK, good enough. I think what you're getting at is why a road bike related post is accpeted in the forums, wereas a Moto post would not be.

In the end in boils down to one simple fact: Motorcycles don't have pedals.
    Ohhhh, pedals. OK. So do you have to be pedaling for it to count? I saw more than a few guys up at whistler who had broken deraileurs and were bombing down the hill the rest of the day without any chains on their bikes.
    What about mopeds? They have pedals, and go real fast too.
    I know, I'll get a recumbent those are fastest of all, and much easier on your back. Hey don't get down on the recumbents or you're being closed minded and acting negatively toward our fellow bike riders.
    Unicycles?

there's these boats down at the lake that you can rent, they have pedals...............

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    As far as slamming lycra, you real particular about everything color coordinating too? Lycra is form, baggies are fashion.
    Baggies are fashion? Yeah - that's exactly what I was thinking last time I was sliding on my ass down steep granite after a get-off. Leave the lycra in the disco.

Stand back

Do a lot of that while road riding, do ya?

Quote Originally Posted by darkage
    Baggies are fashion? Yeah - that's exactly what I was thinking last time I was sliding on my ass down steep granite after a get-off. Leave the lycra in the disco.
    Everything has it's place. It's for a reason you don't see mx riders wearing lycra. Lycra shorts were designed for road riding, and works fine for most mtbing short of fr/dh...
    I don't wear my skatepads when I downhill, either.
    PS - where are the discos where ppl wear lycra? And are we talking chicks or guys wearing it?

Pro Crastinator

i have a road bike....

but it looks more like this............
    Last edited by .WestCoastHucker.; 01-23-2007 at 10:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Gotsta Chill

Man, some of you guys sound like Neanderthals. Haven't you learned that generalizations and stereotypes are signs of ignorance and hypocrisy?

I've found that most people who bash one style of riding or another are small-minded and have never tried the kind of riding they decide to bash. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Express your opinion by choosing to ride or not ride whatever you want. But if you dismiss something without trying it, you're doing yourself and the people within earshot a disservice.

Not to get all high and mighty, but I'm an equal opportunity rider. Have been ever since I started riding. My current quiver is a hardtail mtb, fs xc mtb, freeride mtb, road bike, and fixed gear road. I go through phases of liking one more than others but always come back. I'd have a really hard time picking one bike.

I'm not saying everyone needs to love everyone else that rides a bike, although I tend to think that fighting among bikers distracts us from the real battles we should be fighting (like preserving land access, building new trails, that sort of thing).

What I am saying is this: Don't go hatin' on something you choose not to do, especially if you've never tried it. Otherwise you sound a lot like a roadie saying dh is easy 'cuz you get a ride to the top of the hill...

Yeesh. It's a big world out there people. Have some respect for those who make their way through it a little differently than you.

mtbr member
    ahahaha i was in a bad mood...i woke up and hadnt eaten yet...but the majority of them are very stuck up and think there better than us or most if not all of them would do XC and DH not just XC...anyway XC may be good for fitness just like road racing but the bikes they do it on are to flimsy and break to easily and i think thats stupid...
    There's a lot of them that are very snobbish and elitist... I couldnt care less about them and their $5000 bikes... the MTBers i dont like are the "i'm too cool" type... so i guess they come from both sides...

Man thats why I end up riding solo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OGRipper
    Man, some of you guys sound like Neanderthals. Haven't you learned that generalizations and stereotypes are signs of ignorance and hypocrisy?

I've found that most people who bash one style of riding or another are small-minded and have never tried the kind of riding they decide to bash. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Express your opinion by choosing to ride or not ride whatever you want. But if you dismiss something without trying it, you're doing yourself and the people within earshot a disservice.

Not to get all high and mighty, but I'm an equal opportunity rider. Have been ever since I started riding. My current quiver is a hardtail mtb, fs xc mtb, freeride mtb, road bike, and fixed gear road. I go through phases of liking one more than others but always come back. I'd have a really hard time picking one bike.

I'm not saying everyone needs to love everyone else that rides a bike, although I tend to think that fighting among bikers distracts us from the real battles we should be fighting (like preserving land access, building new trails, that sort of thing).

What I am saying is this: Don't go hatin' on something you choose not to do, especially if you've never tried it. Otherwise you sound a lot like a roadie saying dh is easy 'cuz you get a ride to the top of the hill...

Yeesh. It's a big world out there people. Have some respect for those who make their way through it a little differently than you.
    Finally someone objective...
    Last edited by RiDE; 07-06-2004 at 03:58 PM.

user-created
    there's these boats down at the lake that you can rent, they have pedals...............

You finally understand! Human power is the point! Now, if lil' twisted needs to go for a paddle boat ride to prove it to himself, well, then SHOVE OFF!

I can't believe I wasted 4 or 5 minutes of my life on this thread. I can't be botherd to argue with you anymore.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    oh im sure u would...uve had a good dig at everyone over the past couple of days...

Team
    I've had this conversation with a few people and was wondering if there were people out there who could relate. I grew up racing motocross motorcycles and have since switched to downhill, freeride, and urban mountainbikes. I ride for fun and try to challenge myself on which ever bike I'm on. I'm really not interested in road bikes or road racing or some bike bike race in France. People tell me I'm close minded and that I should try it, also road riders are very talented. I really don't care. Why not motocross motorcycle racing? To me there is a closer connection but you don't here anyone on here talking about Bubba, RC, or Suzuki's new aluminum framed four stroke. Or how about roadies getting a bmx bike?
    I feel no connection with road bikes. If I'm going for a bike ride I want to have fun by manualling and jumping stuff, conquering the terrain, not racing against cars on a flat booring surface.

I agree with you on this one. Althoguh I do show those roadies alot of respect, but not as much as us freeriders od downhiller, or mx riders. I have a dirtbike, bu I would still take a day of Downhill biking over it.

Is it true that Bubba is switching to KTM. I know that RC is going to the suzzie bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OGRipper

You absolutely totally missed my point. Your comments are not relative to this thread. Please reread it and you'll see that I'm not bashing anything or hating anything. I'm simply stating comparisons and similarities between sports. I am continuosly bashed by road riders just because I don't ride road bikes. Why am I the bad guy for loving downhill / freeride mountainbikes here on the downhill / freeride forum?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You finally understand! Human power is the point! Now, if lil' twisted needs to go for a paddle boat ride to prove it to himself, well, then SHOVE OFF!

I can't believe I wasted 4 or 5 minutes of my life on this thread. I can't be botherd to argue with you anymore.
    Human power is the key?
    Please don't let this guy anywhere near Whistler or any other downhill trails.
    Maybe he goes there but rides up the hill and takes the lift down (no insult intended).
    Again I have not bashed anyone at anytime in this thread. It seems people are upset with me because I do not fit into their category of what a bicyclist is or should be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    but it looks more like this............
    That's SWEET!!!
    What a baddass ride. I bet you could blow past a roadie fast enough to blow his nuts off.

Oh man, I bet somebody's pissed off now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RiDE
    I ride both and I like it that way.

To insult one is rather silly considering its just another medium of the same bike you're riding. There's nothing more annoying than a roadie who snubs you on his $5000 bike like a pure elitist and a MTBer who calls roadies gay and starts saying how fast he goes downhill and what kind of drops he clears... yeah ok.

Try a roadbike one day... just so the people around you can shut up and stop forcing it on you. I have a feeling you won't like it already since you already sound like you hate it.

MTB or roadbike... i really couldn't care less... they're both bicycles.
    That's why I get upset if someone calls me a bicyclist. I'm not, I'm a thrillseeking triple black diamond jibber! Who used to be a thrillseeking throttle jockey moto head.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DHbiker
    I agree with you on this one. Althoguh I do show those roadies alot of respect, but not as much as us freeriders od downhiller, or mx riders. I have a dirtbike, bu I would still take a day of Downhill biking over it.

Is it true that Bubba is switching to KTM. I know that RC is going to the suzzie bikes.
    Cool, it sounds like you see where I'm coming from.
    Bubba on a KTM? Oh no Bubba, don't do it!
    I bet RC's gonna be ripp'n on that new Suzuki aluminum 450 fourstroke. You seen pictures of it?
    Yamaha's got aluminum frames on their YZs for 2005 too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

.WestCoastHucker and you can go for a road ride together. Oh, did you say 60mph or 160mph?

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    TWISTED...dont try and be the good guy when u know just as well as i do u were having a good dig to...we all like to every now and then...and anyway this thread is now old...let it go everyone and write about new stuff...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    TWISTED...dont try and be the good guy when u know just as well as i do u were having a good dig to...we all like to every now and then...and anyway this thread is now old...let it go everyone and write about new stuff...
    It's real funny how hard road bike riders try to defend themselves by puting other people down.
    BJ, you're a cool guy, I'll simplify what I was trying to say because it still seems that most people took it the wrong way.

I ride motocross and downhill. I think they are similiar.
    I think motocross has a lot in common with downhill and freeride. I ride my downhill bike the exact same way I rode my motocross bike.

I don't ride road bikes. People in this forum often talk of road bikes.
    I asked for opinions on this subject.

Then it got ugly.

I now see why I spend so little time at this forum.
    bye,bye

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    oh u guys hurt his feelings...shame on all of u...TWISTED u big girl dont let em walk away having pissed u off...suck it to em hard and ill help if u want...u know how i like to have a good dig every now and then...

TWISTEDs the man...and road bikes suck ass...there u all go...u wanna have a dig at someone then im ur man...bring it on...

TWISTED...man u got nay pics for me today...

mtbr member
    We are all just riding bikes, why engage in a lame online-pissing contest regarding something as trivial as who`s permutation on the Two Wheeled Idea is "coolest"? That`s just freaking unnecessary.

RiDE put it nicely; kudos man.

Final words: open up your minds. Don`t be so judgemental of eachother. Regardless of what kind of bike/bikes that person rides.

mtbr member
    trail riding, moto, street, trials, dirt jumping, sportbikes, cafe racers, bmx, unicycles
    ALL FUN
    well maybe not unicycles

New project, TBA shortly
    I don't ride road bikes. People in this forum often talk of road bikes.
    I asked for opinions on this subject.

Then it got ugly.

I now see why I spend so little time at this forum.
    bye,bye
    I ride road to train for DH'ing. Nothing worse than coming to the end of a 4 min DH race out of breath and not being able to pedal, and end up getting beat by a second or two that you could've easily made up if you were in shape... Of course, recently I haven't been road-riding enough and so I am out of breath and can't pedal by the end of the race...

Its fun, though, and going down hills are REALLY fun. Up sucks. Want to get a shuttle going, would be fun to RIP down some hill, load the bikes in the back of a pickup, and do it all over again.

dante

Yay
    LOL, everybody could have been riding in the time it took to type all those arguments...

Regardless of what you ride, as long as you are having fun, thats all that matters...

Everybody should just ride their bikes NAKED!!!!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, -WOW- What a ride...!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2004

MX rules

I've come over to DH and freeride from MX. Ive spent my whole life since I was six on a motocross bike racing. Ive been a pro for five years and can find many ways that DH is similar to MX, but the road thing just isn't even remotely similar(or fun in my opinion) I started DHing for cross training as things like conditioning, bike control, ballance, braking, jumping are great practice while on either a MX bike or a MTB bike. The road just has no appeal to me or no practicallity to me. Just my 2 cents