Roach Rally FR pads: Any TALL guy input?- Mtbr.com
    Lay off the Levers

New question here. Roach Rally FR pads: Any TALL guy input?

Anyone with long thin-er legs riding these pads?
    My question is will the XLs fit snugly enough and not slip around?

I bought a set of XL leg pads from Azonic and the velcro flaps overlapped so much in the back that I could never pull them tight enough to secure them.

I tried the Roach Rally FR in Large and they secured quite well but I would like them to be as long as possible. (I seem to get lots of pedal and chainbite) I'm 6'2", have a 34" pant inseam (38" true inseam), but some companies seem think tall means thick too. While I don't have chicken legs, they aren't Redwoods either.

FWIW the Large arm pads barely got over my forearms and they aren't particularly thick either.

TIA
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 03-11-2004 at 09:06 AM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Anyone with long thin-er legs riding these pads?
    My question is will the XLs fit snugly enough and not slip around?

I bought a set of XL leg pads from Azonic and the velcro flaps overlapped so much in the back that I could never pull them tight enough to secure them.

I tried the Roach Rally FR in Large and they secured quite well but I would like them to be as long as possible. (I seem to get lots of pedal and chainbite) I'm 6'2", have a 34" pant inseam (38" true inseam), but some companies seem think tall means thick too. While I don't have chicken legs, they aren't Redwoods either.

FWIW the Large arm pads barely got over my forearms and they aren't particularly thick either.

TIA
    You are the same height as me. The Rally FR Xl's are what I use and they are the "best" pads I've used to date. The tip I can give is to hook the one strap sort of over the top of your calf for extra holding support. The haven't slipped on me yet this way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

XL for me.

I'm 6' 5" and the XL Roach FR pads fit me the best yet. If the straps are too long then spend some time customizing them... I had a pair of pads once where I had to shorten the straps... simply rip out the stiching that holds the velcro onto the strap, cut the strap to your desired length and then reattach the velcro. Takes all of 15-20 minutes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Work for me. . .

I've got the FR's and they're definitely long enough. . .At first I thought they should be a little longer. . .but when in place, they're perfect (my foot wouldn't bend if they were any longer, and I don't think it's possible to hit the 1 inch of leg they don't get to from slipping off the pedal).

I have a question about the arm pads. . .similar deal on sizing? They're going to be different lengths between Large and X-tra Large, and If I need to shorten the straps, just cut and stitch?

Thanks

voodoo-1

(Guess I should have mentioned I'm 6'5")
    Last edited by voodoo-1; 03-11-2004 at 08:14 PM.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullrider
    I'm 6' 5" and the XL Roach FR pads fit me the best yet. If the straps are too long then spend some time customizing them... I had a pair of pads once where I had to shorten the straps... simply rip out the stiching that holds the velcro onto the strap, cut the strap to your desired length and then reattach the velcro. Takes all of 15-20 minutes.
    Thanks.

These appear to be modifiable, but the Azonic I had had one large neopreme flap that spanned the length of the entire pad. (on each side) it is not detachable, but rather an integrated part of the pad, it wrapps underneath the front armor shell and around the other side. Only fix, would to be cut it down and sew on more velcro. Doable but a lot of fuss after paying for them.

The large Rally FRs I tried are very impressive, half the weight, better ventalated, seem more comfortable and seem to secure a whole lot better. I'm just curious if I should go with the Lg or XLs or rather if the XLs will secure as well for me as the Lgs did.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Large fits great

I'm 6'2 with a 32" inseam and muscular legs (bigish thighs and calves but skinny knees and ankles) and my Large Rally FRs fit great. They are plenty long, almost too long, and the lower leg straps could actually be longer and the knee straps a little shorter, but the overall fit is excellent. I also had a pair of those Azonic neoprene XL pads, which I used twice and gave to a friend because they were too big and too much hassle to re-stitch. My LBS didn't have XL Roaches, but I would expect them to be bigger around but not much longer. My recommend is go Large.

Members who have read this thread: 0