Roach / Race Face Rally FR vs. DH- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Roach / Race Face Rally FR vs. DH

Can anyone tell me the difference between the rally DH and rally FR protection? How are they compare to the 661 products? Thanks

mtbr member
    I believe the major difference is with the knee/shin guards. The DH have more nylon at the kees and a mesh backing that totally wraps around your leg. The FR have noches in the nylon at the knee, permitting greater flexibilty and no protection for your calf. I picked up the DH, only because they were on sale and 20 bucks cheaper at the time than the FR. They fit great and I never ride without 'em.
    Last edited by romar; 10-03-2006 at 07:36 AM.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by InaMtb
    How are they compare to the 661 products? Thanks
    if you buy the roaches you'll forget you're wearing them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM
    if you buy the roaches you'll forget you're wearing them.
    True. True. ..even with the DH pads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Romar, so the DH has a longer shin protection area compare to the FR? Do you find the mesh at the back restrict your movement? Thanks

Road/XC/Freeride
    Quote Originally Posted by InaMtb
    Romar, so the DH has a longer shin protection area compare to the FR? Do you find the mesh at the back restrict your movement? Thanks
    I don't know if that's the case now but my RF FRs had the same length shins as the DHs when I bought them.
    I'm on the Twitter.

mtbr member
    Just as Ace stated, the shin protection is the same. The difference is only with the mesh backing and extra nylon at the knees. I don't find the DH pads to restrict me in any way. Then again, these are my first set of pads so I really do not have anything to compare them to.

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    If you have long legs and require the XL size the worst thing about the Roach pads is that (at least for me) they tend to ride down about 2" exposing the top part of your knee in a crash. They're comfy and all but getting them to stay up usually requiring putting the top leg strap up over my calf which can be uncomfortable. Maybe I just have weird legs.

The FR gives you b*tchin tan lines unlike the DH too. And a wealth of pedal scars on the backside of your legs from the pedals tagging ya. Or at least they did to me.
    EXTREEM MEDIUM MOUNTAINSTYLE SLOPCROSS STEEDS:
    '06 Iron Horse 7Point3 w/888RC + Roco
    '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc FR-Pimped
    '92 Specialized HardRock Pink-Retro-XC-Pimped

Glad to Be Alive
    the DH have a mesh in the back of the pad to help protect you from a pedal spinning and hitting your calf........

the theory on the differences of the FR and the DH is.....the FR w/out the mesh is cooler....but realistically i don't think you would feel the difference

I say get the DH ones....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    The DH's have 15mm foam and the FR's have 13mm foam. Also the DH's have some sort of knee stabilizer as opposed to the criss cross straps of the FR's.

I just bought the FR's and they are very comfy. And Jensonusa did a pricematch for 24.99 on the arms from cambria.
    Hucker in training!

General Rabble-Rouser
    I recently got the Raceface FR, I felt the DH were just too burly for my riding style and climate

http://www.roachclothing.com/Product...eset/index.htm

has great pics of the inside and outside of both the DH and FR. Like switch55 said the DH have ticker foam, but it has heat formed channels in the foam vs the FR smooth layer

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've had 2 sets of the DH's for about 3 seasons. Great pads, but they are pretty hot. They have thicker padding than the FR, and great for gravity assisted rides. I would like to get the FR for trail use, since the DH's are overkill on the trails.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    i rock the FR Roach armor.. leg and arm.. they're super comfy and fairly light.. not hot at all, the ergonomic design allows me to completely forget i'm wearing armor at all.

A coupla bad things: the stiching sucks a s s, falls apart fairly quickly under heavy use and will need a restiching job with something much stronger. The elastic on the leg armor straps wears out and the straps get all stretched out, so you're forced to overlap them quite a bit to get a tight fit... again, could have used a higher quality, more durable elastic material.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have both but ride in FR b/c I prefer its attachment system, which is the difference no-one has pointed out yet. Don't know what the proper terminology to describe it is, but FR = "loop-back", i.e., the two 'mating' pieces of Velcro are on the same piece of each elastic strap, that extends from one side and folds back / buckles up going through a loop on the opposite side. This makes it easy to adjust tension and holds much better than DH = the two 'mating' pieces of Velcro are on two separate pieces of elastic straps, each extending from the opposite side, so they just overlap.

Interestingly, I'm finding straps on FR a tad too short (still OK but could have been a bit longer); and straps on DH way too long, so that I can't get them tight enough (which is easy to fix: suffice to saw another Velcro patch closer the 'base' of the straps).

For arm/elbow, go DH.

661 doesn't compare; Fox "Launch Pads" might, but I haven't tried them so can't tell.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks a lot guy for all the information

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have the DH version and I found that the Velcro was way too long and they are just to bulky of a pad for me (even the small). I am looking at the Fox knee/shin armor

Members who have read this thread: 0