The right tool?.........- Mtbr.com
    Im a Cowboy

The right tool?.........

DON'T TELL ME I'M STILL ON THAT FECKIN' ISLAND! ....

i drink shower water
    i dont get it?
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

Does the right thing
    Its the right tool only if you are digging snow. They bend and chip on anything else.

mtbr member
    if you want a good trail digger what i do is go to a hardware store and buy the shuvels thtat have the steel or metal handles ont he ends weather its a "D" style or "T" style. i take the handle off, cut the the shuvel down to about 2 feet then bolt the handle back on. bingo you know have a digger that you can strap to your backpack and go do work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    A really overpriced shovel? Is the fact that you can take it apart really worth that much extra cash? $12 at a Home Depot will get the job done.

Does the right thing
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker662
    A really overpriced shovel? Is the fact that you can take it apart really worth that much extra cash? $12 at a Home Depot will get the job done.
    In terms of backcountry gear where lightweight and packability is key, this shovel, with its wide blade and light weight (1 lb 10oz) is worth it. Besides, an Avalanch shovel's primary function is to dig your buddies out from under an avalanch, and when your buddies are buried under an avalance, you'd pay anything to dig them out.... unless there not really your buddies or you owe them money. And no, a home depot shovel is not the same, i've tried. Its like a kmart cruser in an race xc. It will work but not very well.
    My Av shovel works so well I use it to shovel my walkways. its lighter and I can move the snow faster that with a normal snow shovel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Freemtnrider
    In terms of backcountry gear where lightweight and packability is key, this shovel, with its wide blade and light weight (1 lb 10oz) is worth it. Besides, an Avalanch shovel's primary function is to dig your buddies out from under an avalanch, and when your buddies are buried under an avalance, you'd pay anything to dig them out.... unless there not really your buddies or you owe them money. And no, a home depot shovel is not the same, i've tried. Its like a kmart cruser in an race xc. It will work but not very well.
    My Av shovel works so well I use it to shovel my walkways. its lighter and I can move the snow faster that with a normal snow shovel.
    I was under the impression he was asking if it was the right tool for building dirt jumps, seeing as this is a biking forum.

However, I could be wrong, and if he was talking about digging peeps outta avalanches, then yeah, this would be more realistic.

clyde in training
    I can recognize a tool when I see one, and this is defiantly a tool

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker662
    I was under the impression he was asking if it was the right tool for building dirt jumps, seeing as this is a biking forum.

However, I could be wrong, and if he was talking about digging peeps outta avalanches, then yeah, this would be more realistic.

I was thinking the same...Why move dirt with an avalanche shovel

mtbr member
    go buy shovel with a fiberglass handle from homedepot with a warenty so when you brake it you can bring it back.

Im a Cowboy
    Its for building snow ramps...its winter
    DON'T TELL ME I'M STILL ON THAT FECKIN' ISLAND! ....

Does the right thing
    Quote Originally Posted by CrustyOne
    Its for building snow ramps...its winter
    If you dont need it to be light weight or to put it in a pack then just get yourself a big ass coal shovel. It gives the biggest booter crunk.

Members who have read this thread: 0